Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

HELP to connect oem reverse cam to android radio

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to connect oem reverse cam to android radio

Hi Guys,
I am trying to install a SYGAY 10.2 android radio and use the OEM reverse camera. The car originally came with a touch screen non navi radio. The android is installed and everything works including the steering control buttons, just need help to connect the oem reverse cam. Any help will be appreciated.

See attached pics of original radio

EDIT:
I have successfully installed the android radio to use the OEM camera. See post #6 for instructions
Attached Thumbnails HELP to connect oem reverse cam to android radio-20160927_163432.jpg   HELP to connect oem reverse cam to android radio-original-radio.png  

Last edited by fas-n-furyus; Oct 1, 2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You're going to need to wire a video RCA cable (assuming your SYGAY uses RCA) to the factory wires. You can rob an RCA cable from an old VCR/DVD player or console.

From the OEM 8-pin connector harness splice into the wires for the video signal (3/7) and connect them to the corresponding signal/ground wires in your RCA.

Since you don't have the stock HU, you're also going to need to supply the OEM camera with power from the reverse lights but you can do that from the trunk space.

OEM Harness at the stereo:
PIN 1 is power output
PIN 2 reverse sensor wire
PIN 3 is video signal ground (negative)
PIN 4 - n/a
PIN 5 is ground
PIN 6 - n/a
PIN 7 is video signal (positive)
Old Sep 28, 2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
You're going to need to wire a video RCA cable (assuming your SYGAY uses RCA) to the factory wires. You can rob an RCA cable from an old VCR/DVD player or console.

From the OEM 8-pin connector harness splice into the wires for the video signal (3/7) and connect them to the corresponding signal/ground wires in your RCA.

Since you don't have the stock HU, you're also going to need to supply the OEM camera with power from the reverse lights but you can do that from the trunk space.

OEM Harness at the stereo:
PIN 1 is power output
PIN 2 reverse sensor wire
PIN 3 is video signal ground (negative)
PIN 4 - n/a
PIN 5 is ground
PIN 6 - n/a
PIN 7 is video signal (positive)
Found this info (see attached pic) which seems to be slightly different from what you have mentioned. Can you check and confirm your info?

Pin 6 - video signal positive
Pin 7 - video signal negative

Looking at the OEM 8 pin connector on my car.
Pin 7 is a black shielded wire, which suggests that it is the video signal negative.
Attached Thumbnails HELP to connect oem reverse cam to android radio-c-108.png  
Old Sep 28, 2016, 09:12 AM

Also is the OEM camera 12v or 6v?
Do I need a DC voltage step down converter?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

I pulled my info from the "adding a camera to the non-Nav touchscreen thread here so I can't validate it for you beyond that it worked for others.

I also don't know for sure what the voltage is. The best way would be to test with the factory HU connected with a meter.

Not too many people opted for the OEM camera so there's not a lot out there, I'm afraid. And Mitsu has changed up the stereo wiring a lot through the model years which complicates things as well.

Best of luck and be sure to post back with your results for future searchers!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 07:19 AM

Ok I have successfully installed the oem reverse camera to the Sygay 10.2 android radio
It ONLY requires 4 wires to be connected. This is for a 2015 evo x with touch screen radio without sat nav and NO Rockford Fosgate Amplifier.

Things you will need:
1) a male RCA jack
2) a 12v to 6v voltage step down converter, as the stock oem camera is 6v.

On the OEM harness locate the 8pin connector (C108) that plugs into the back of the radio.

PIN 1: Green Wire, VCC 6-7v. Connect the 12v to 6v converter, with the 12v side to the IGN switch On (yellow wire on the Sygay harness) and the 6v side to PIN1 green wire.

PIN 3: White Wire, Reverse sensing wire. Connect the Orange wire (Reverse CONT) on the Sygay harness to PIN 3.

PIN 6: Red Wire, Camera signal positive. Connect this to the positive of the male RCA jack

PIN 7: Shield Black Wire, Camera signal negative. Connect this to the negative of the male RCA jack.

Plug the male RCA jack into the Sygay female RCA jack which plugs into the back of the radio, and that's it. The wiring of the reverse camera is completed.
Attached Thumbnails HELP to connect oem reverse cam to android radio-20160929_234149.jpg   HELP to connect oem reverse cam to android radio-20160929_234159.jpg  

Last edited by fas-n-furyus; Sep 29, 2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Job well done, sir! Looks really good!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:51 AM

Smile How did you adjust the parking guidelines?

Originally Posted by fas-n-furyus
Ok I have successfully installed the oem reverse camera to the Sygay 10.2 android radio
It ONLY requires 4 wires to be connected. This is for a 2015 evo x with touch screen radio without sat nav and NO Rockford Fosgate Amplifier.

Things you will need:
1) a male RCA jack
2) a 12v to 6v voltage step down converter, as the stock oem camera is 6v.

On the OEM harness locate the 8pin connector (C108) that plugs into the back of the radio.

PIN 1: Green Wire, VCC 6-7v. Connect the 12v to 6v converter, with the 12v side to the IGN switch On (yellow wire on the Sygay harness) and the 6v side to PIN1 green wire.

PIN 3: White Wire, Reverse sensing wire. Connect the Orange wire (Reverse CONT) on the Sygay harness to PIN 3.

PIN 6: Red Wire, Camera signal positive. Connect this to the positive of the male RCA jack

PIN 7: Shield Black Wire, Camera signal negative. Connect this to the negative of the male RCA jack.

Plug the male RCA jack into the Sygay female RCA jack which plugs into the back of the radio, and that's it. The wiring of the reverse camera is completed.
Great Job!

I recently replaced my OEM non-navigation head unit with an Android 8 unit on my 2016 Outlander, I think it is a very similar system. Mine is a Plug&Play unit. however after installation, I found 2 issues with the backup camera display

(1) the guidelines are not reliable anymore as in the OEM unit because the red lines end on the car bumper (as you can see in your 2nd photo), so if you follow these red marks as you do with the OEM unit, you are going to smash your bumper, right now the far end of the green lines in display are actually only about 2 feet from the obstacles in reality - pretty misleading; and
(2) the Android system did not appear adjust the horizontal position (the OEM camera on my outlander is on the driver side of the license plate), so if you follow those two long lines, you are going to park at a location about 1~2 feet to the driver side than you should.

I know some android unit has the function that users are able to modify those guidelines, but not on my unit. I am just wondering how did you adjusted those lines, or you simply get used to them.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be much appreciated!
John
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:06 PM

If you have access to the root of the android device you can open up the MTC backup.apk file inside the apk is the overlay.png file that you can modify to your bumper. I just finished updating mine.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by LuskPhoto
If you have access to the root of the android device you can open up the MTC backup.apk file inside the apk is the overlay.png file that you can modify to your bumper. I just finished updating mine.
Thank you so much for your suggestion - inspired me to did some further googling. Now I have drawing the lines and saved to the file. BUT I am unable to modify the APK file because I did not root my headunit yet. It is the Oct-core Android 8 system. I am not sure which Android OS you have, you must have rooted it, how did you root your headunit? I rooted many of my phones, I am not sure if I want to root my headunit yet, I just got it for a month.

Thx again
Old Apr 29, 2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jllmoe
Thank you so much for your suggestion - inspired me to did some further googling. Now I have drawing the lines and saved to the file. BUT I am unable to modify the APK file because I did not root my headunit yet. It is the Oct-core Android 8 system. I am not sure which Android OS you have, you must have rooted it, how did you root your headunit? I rooted many of my phones, I am not sure if I want to root my headunit yet, I just got it for a month.

Thx again
I installed this ROM on the device. Once I had access to the root of the device I was able to update the file its called MTCBackView.apk its under sys in the root of the device. I opened up the .apk with 7zip and overwrote the bg_distance.png with the new one I had created. The issue I ran into with the device is that it did get really hot prior to the heatsink and fan install. The device became slow and buggy when getting up to 70+ Celsius. I'm no expert on the device but i've got a pretty good understanding of it with what limited information is out there on the net.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...droid-t3762724 <---- Link to different ROM for the device. Warning definitely do at your own risk.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by LuskPhoto
I installed this ROM on the device. Once I had access to the root of the device I was able to update the file its called MTCBackView.apk its under sys in the root of the device. I opened up the .apk with 7zip and overwrote the bg_distance.png with the new one I had created. The issue I ran into with the device is that it did get really hot prior to the heatsink and fan install. The device became slow and buggy when getting up to 70+ Celsius. I'm no expert on the device but i've got a pretty good understanding of it with what limited information is out there on the net.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...droid-t3762724 <---- Link to different ROM for the device. Warning definitely do at your own risk.
WOW!, I like the interface of that ROM, which is definitely a rooted ROM. I may want to flush these ROMs after a year or two.

I did a bit more googling and found the following prototype approach to gain access to root withOUT root the system. So I am happy that I have successfully modified the file without changing too much of my HU. Here is the link from which I learned https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...01&postcount=9 . Same forum you found the help - I love the XDA forums where we can always find help.

Enjoy your HU.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post