Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Recommended upgraded rear speakers & door speakers

Old Dec 27, 2017, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Recommended upgraded rear speakers & door speakers

Considering I am going to attempt to remove my rear plastic deck to put some kind of thin carpet between the plastic so it can reduce vibration I figured I might as well replace the stock OEM speakers that are back there for something A LOT better.

Are there any recommendations out there for speakers? Currently I am unsure what size the rear speakers are and what size the door speakers are. Does anyone know the sizes?

For removing the door speakers can I pop out the screen in front of the speakers or do I have to remove the entire door plastic piece?

I have a aftermarket 12" subwoofer in the back and basically I would like more clarity with treble and voice when that is playing back there. If anyone could recommend me some speakers that would be excellent.

Thanks guys.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm pretty sure none of the Evos have speakers in the rear deck / parcel shelf from the factory, if that's what you're referring to.

For front and rear doors I'd highly recommend Audiofrog GS60 6" mids paired with a GS10 tweeter and GS610C crossover. Not the cheapest but great sounding at the price point. Just be aware that adding rear components will require mounting of the tweeters which isn't going to be plug-and-play as the OE setup doesn't have separate rear components. The fronts will be easier if you have the Fosgate setup with the door pods by the A-Pillar.
The following users liked this post:
TxFAkuma (Jan 4, 2018)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

^ Well that makes everything complicated. I figured I could just take out the speakers and replace them, Simple as that.

Anyway I can just ADD some bullet tweeters for the rear for a little more treble without any damage?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

If all you want is some rear fill, replace the rear door speakers with some 6 1/2" 2-way speakers with the tweeter in the middle (JBL Club 6520 is a safe bet as it's nice and shallow)

You do need to take the whole door panel off to install but it's not so bad to remove.
TxFAkuma (Jan 4, 2018)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Jan 4, 2018, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

I'm Curious on why some of you think they're are no rear speakers on the rear deck. I clearly have speakers up there rattling ****. The one thing I loved about my evo from the STI I had was the STI had speakers in the door which made it very hard to hear the music if you were in the backseat. My now EVO has speakers in the rear deck which makes it easier. So yes they do come in the rear deck.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by splattj
If all you want is some rear fill, replace the rear door speakers with some 6 1/2" 2-way speakers with the tweeter in the middle (JBL Club 6520 is a safe bet as it's nice and shallow)

You do need to take the whole door panel off to install but it's not so bad to remove.
Thank you for telling me what the speaker size is in the rear doors though. This was the information i needed. Could you tell me if the front door speakers are the same size? My goal is to replace all the speakers and then figure out how to remove the panels.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

6.5" should fit front and rear. The stock speakers are actually a little bigger than 6.5 and you'll need to modify the plastic housings to use aftermarket speakers.
gotyaw? (Apr 12, 2018)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:33 AM

Nice video, pretty straight forward instructional
Old Apr 12, 2018, 08:47 PM

Nice TY!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I'm Curious on why some of you think they're are no rear speakers on the rear deck. I clearly have speakers up there rattling ****. The one thing I loved about my evo from the STI I had was the STI had speakers in the door which made it very hard to hear the music if you were in the backseat. My now EVO has speakers in the rear deck which makes it easier. So yes they do come in the rear deck.
By rear deck do you mean the flat part behind the rear seat? If so, there are no speakers back there. The rattle you hear is the top plastic rattling against the sheetmetal base due to the sub in the trunk. There are only speakers in each door, the tweeters in the A pillar, and the sub in the trunk for premium sound package.