Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Need Help wiring steering wheel controls

Old Aug 26, 2018, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help wiring steering wheel controls

I finally decided to take the plunge and replace my Mitsubishi OEM Rockford head-unit. I'm not an audiophile or anything but I have been very happy with the sound of the OEM system but I have been jonsing to upgrade it to get a better navigation experience and wanted an easier way of accessing Apple Music instead of fiddling with my phone, also since Car Play will support Waze pretty soon I finally decided to go with a Pioneer system that can do wired or wireless android and car play.

Here is what I purchased from Crutchfield:
Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX DVD Receiver
Axxess MITO-02 Wiring Interface (Amp Retention)
Readyharness
PAC SWI-CP2 (Steering Wheel Control Adapter)
Scoshe Dash kit

Since I paid for the ready harness they did what wiring they could prior to shipping the radio. So yesterday I just plugged everything up thinking I was good to go. I got the sound from all speakers including the sub and I've got a solid red light on the Steering Wheel controller but it's not working.

I contacted Crutchfield and they told me there was some additional wiring I needed to do to the harness in the car.

I have been looking at this for hours and I'm still lost on what I'm supposed to do and I'm hoping someone can help, I'm really desperate and I'm hoping I can get this installed tonight before I head out to work tomorrow.

This is the PAC Wiring Diagram from PAC. I believe the first section was done at Crutchfield. The second piece is what I believe I need to do and that is where I'm lost.

In the image above says Black should go to Black/Red. Which is what I found on this plug. However I do not believe it matches Pin 69.

The second wire mentioned is White to yellow/black. I did not find this on the first plug but it was on the other plug and also don't think it's 53.

I am at a total loss at this point and I don't want to go cutting into wires guessing until I know for sure, so again any help at this point would be so appreciated.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 06:47 PM

Were those the only 2 harnesses behind the radio?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 06:51 PM

I found this picture of a factory evo x radio online that wide flat gray harness is the one that has the two colors you need. You can see them about a third of the way over from the right. Does yours have that plug? And can you send a picture of what plugs you do have on the factory radio itself
Old Aug 27, 2018, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

This was the back of my radio before I unhooked it from the car.

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Edit 5: All are working. I got it figured out with help from Amp. They had me leave the wires soldered like they are now but just cut the brow wires in the middle so they just go directly into the black and white.

Edit 4: Success!
I got Volume up and Down and Push to Talk to work. Not sure why none of the others do (could be my poor solder job, see below). The wires I needed were the Blue (Top) and Black (bottom) wire here.

I soldered the connectors, very poorly, to my new harness. Could my awful solder job be why only some steering wheel buttons don't work?

Edit 3:

Here is a picture of the harness with the long flat plug that I was originally told it was the one that had the steering wheel controls. I probed those two wires with my steering wheel buttons and I did not get any voltage so these can’t be the right wires.

Edit 2: just got off the phone with PAC and I think they got me straightened. It’s the two pins I’ve got circled. The diagram is not completely right. It says looking from pin side but it is really from the back side. Doesn’t give me a lot of confidence that the guide is wrong. Where can I find what the pins on this plug are for, should the service manual identify them?

Edit 1: They didn't realize I had navigation, which is why the instructions are different.

So I got a reply from PAC. They provided me with a different wiring diagram then what I get when I plug in my vehicle into their website. This is very frustrating. Now I'm worried the pre-wiring is wrong.

Here is what I was sent:

Last edited by koolzero; Sep 1, 2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 08:53 PM

They won’t show different voltages when you test the wires. They run off resistance values. Let me look it up when I get to work tomorrow and I’ll message you back what I find out. What is your year and everything?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 08:55 PM

Nvm. Didn’t see that last edit. Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. This is what I do for a living so I was going to try to help you out if I could. Glad you got it all figured out tho!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe you could help me with something. I'm getting interference with my Boyo license plate backup camera. You can see a video here: https://share.icloud.com/photos/00g8...EELVSsV2g#Home

Pioneer suggested I add another ground to the backup camera and the radio. To ground the radio could I just add another wire from the frame connected to the dash and then to one of the screws that go to the metal tubing behind the dash?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by koolzero
Maybe you could help me with something. I'm getting interference with my Boyo license plate backup camera. You can see a video here: https://share.icloud.com/photos/00g8...EELVSsV2g#Home

Pioneer suggested I add another ground to the backup camera and the radio. To ground the radio could I just add another wire from the frame connected to the dash and then to one of the screws that go to the metal tubing behind the dash?
I can't really help you with the camera problem, but I just got done installing AVH-W4400NEX, but with PAC-SWI-RC. I had Clarion earlier, but wanted wireless carplay. If the PAC-SWI-CP2 is giving you trouble still, I suggest you switch to "RC" version, as it has been working great so far <4 years and counting>. "RC" requires white cable connected to blue cable on the car + ground wire, and 3.5mm remote control port on the Pioneer. PAC-SWI-RC is about $26 on amazon.

Search this Thread