Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How long to hack the X ecu?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here I got this out of my book from school, maybe it will help some of you understand the CAN system better

CAN stands for Controller Area Network. CAN is a new means of communicating with the car for diagnostics used by the latest generations of VW, Audi, SEAT, and Skoda vehicles. Unlike the older ISO9141 system which used a single K-line for diagnostic communications, the new CAN-Bus system uses a twisted pair of wires with differential signaling. CAN is considerably faster than ISO-9141 (500 kpbs vs. 10.4 kbps). Both new hardware and new software are required in order to communicate with cars using CAN for diagnostics.

I also forgot... dont untwist wires you find, they are twisted for a reason... to help keep other signal out of there way. We use 1 1/2 twist per inch. Anything more or less MAY screw up the system.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
I think they'll hack into the engine ECU rather quickly. I've got money on the guys from WORKS being the first to do it (just like they were with the VIII).

The big question is how long it will take to crack the code on the ECU that controls the SST. The VW/Audi tuners took quite a while to crack the DSG...and that's STILL a work-in-progress and that transmission has been out for over 2 years.
WORKS will probably be the first in the US to do it. But it goes back to my point above...they have set pros to attack it. Of course them doing it won't help the average X owner very much cause they still won't be able to do it for themselves. They'll have to pay WORKs to do it for them.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i heard they are coming out with the manual transmission mr next year
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

This is just a more complex multiplex system.....It can be hard to "hack" as the dealers call it.....everything uses a sensor and sends a signal to the ECM/BCM/TCM etc........I have been working on multiplex systems for a long time now.....granted i work on volvos.....but none the less the systems all have the same basics applied....i wish i could of gone to Mitsubishi to their training program but they also don't get taught everything......they only know how to retreive info.....add software........remove/install.....now if you have mitsubishi database you can tune and manipulate alot of components to do what you want.....adding new game rules..... I wish i had a X right now to start on it.....
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart
This is just a more complex multiplex system.....It can be hard to "hack" as the dealers call it.....everything uses a sensor and sends a signal to the ECM/BCM/TCM etc........I have been working on multiplex systems for a long time now.....granted i work on volvos.....but none the less the systems all have the same basics applied....i wish i could of gone to Mitsubishi to their training program but they also don't get taught everything......they only know how to retreive info.....add software........remove/install.....now if you have mitsubishi database you can tune and manipulate alot of components to do what you want.....adding new game rules..... I wish i had a X right now to start on it.....
I have been with Volvo for 11 years now and still going (Parts)....since the S60R/V70R,we have had a bunch of people send there ECU to IPD for their reflash. Now if this new X system is developed much like this Volvo system, where written software downloads to teh vehicle will rectify or change components like the DDM, CEM, and REM functions. Also signaling between modules through interface. We have had so many of our customers that have had "Total Software Upgrade" downloads, in which you know, resets the parameters in the ECM along with others parameters too. Taking their 'modded' reflash from IPD back to Volvo's specs. For instance sw download #30677038 is $45 plus labor. Kiss IPD's ECU reflash ($895) goodbye. This re-writes it. If this is the type of system we are looking at in the X, I hope most people who get a flash for the X, and have the car under warranty will know this could happen to them, if they go in for any 'service campaign' or 'sw upgrade' per tech note.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by IMR-TIM
I have been with Volvo for 11 years now and still going (Parts)....since the S60R/V70R,we have had a bunch of people send there ECU to IPD for their reflash. Now if this new X system is developed much like this Volvo system, where written software downloads to teh vehicle will rectify or change components like the DDM, CEM, and REM functions. Also signaling between modules through interface. We have had so many of our customers that have had "Total Software Upgrade" downloads, in which you know, resets the parameters in the ECM along with others parameters too. Taking their 'modded' reflash from IPD back to Volvo's specs. For instance sw download #30677038 is $45 plus labor. Kiss IPD's ECU reflash ($895) goodbye. This re-writes it. If this is the type of system we are looking at in the X, I hope most people who get a flash for the X, and have the car under warranty will know this could happen to them, if they go in for any 'service campaign' or 'sw upgrade' per tech note.
This was the same problem on the current generation though. Some people on this forum have had their flashes overwritten by the dealership (one of the original reasons why some tuners were supposedly "locking" the flashes).

The real concern would be if the systems upgraded themselves without human intervenion .
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CAN has been around since the early 90's, it's just that it took this time to write a feasible protocol for production. I can easily see wireless consumer ecu flash detection by the EPA with CAN in the near future. Watch out who you vote for.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
CAN has been around since the early 90's, it's just that it took this time to write a feasible protocol for production. I can easily see wireless consumer ecu flash detection by the EPA with CAN in the near future. Watch out who you vote for.
I can see this happening.....big brother likes to keep tabs on everyone.

My money would be on WORKS to be the first to "hack" everything as they are holding hands with Mitsu......they were also the first in the states to have a evo 8 even before it was released.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:42 PM
Account Disabled

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ill eagle
i heard they are coming out with the manual transmission mr next year
Highly unlikely. If they ever did, it wouldn't be on the 2nd year of the release.

Maybe the Evo XII.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

well, doesnt ECUTEK already have software for the X, or atleast within weeks of releasing it?

COBB already offers reflashes CAN based cars such as the new WRX and the STI, they are deep into communicating with the X ECU, well see
Originally Posted by gear head
I can see this happening.....big brother likes to keep tabs on everyone.

My money would be on WORKS to be the first to "hack" everything as they are holding hands with Mitsu......they were also the first in the states to have a evo 8 even before it was released.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:31 PM

We're working on the Evo X system. While I can't really make any comments, I can tell you that we should have some good news soon.

Ali
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
Account Disabled

^I can't wait
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

good because I am waiting to see what ya'll do, this will help make up my mind on the evo x or GTR.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

This is the time when you get to see who the REAL tuners are. The guys that actually have some intelligence and don't just ride on the coat tails of others. Keep up the good work guys!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

^Amen.

Quick Reply: How long to hack the X ecu?