Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

EcuTek official EVO X FlashCAN software release

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by zbomb
Noize, From the sound of it you are quite knowledgable on Ecutek, Was your previously Ecutek flashed car a Subie or Mitsu. I ask because the tuning/logging options were very different between the two. I'm not calling BS at all, just trying to make people aware that the first is not always the best and if you read through the link I posted many people were unhappy with they're Ecutek experience. Mostly because of the locking of ECU's and the high price. I know many owners of X's are new to this site and may not know Ecutek had been around for previous gen Evo's.

Props to them for getting it out first, There's certainly money to be made for the work it took to do it. I hope Ecutek sticks with they're development of the X like they did not for the 8/9.

I had an EcuTeK'd Evo VIII and was really happy with it. I have also been around EcuTeK'd IXs when it was the only thing available and WRXs, STis, etc.

I think a "high price" is relative compared to what you get. Sure EcuTeK costs more because you have to pay for a license, but the benefit is that you only have to pay for it once and your car can be mapped by any EcuTeK dealer in the world. While some free flash tools have become popular, they are often out very quickly. I tend to tire of cars when I can't modify them. There are a lot of great hard parts out from vendors right now (Buschur, AMS, etc), but there has not been a way for the potential of those parts to be fully realized until now. This is the first full engine management solution available to the public to reflash.

There is an enormous R&D cost associated with pioneering a flashing tool of this magnitude, and hence the price. I kind of view EcuTeK like Coca Cola. They have originality. Sure, Sams cola and Shasta will be out next year for cheaper, but if you want to drink COLA ! NOW ! its gotta be Coke. Exaggeration for effect, but to me this is great news for the X community.

There is probably a shop in your state that is an EcuTeK dealer, so us Evo X owners don't have to be slow anymore.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zbomb
Noize, From the sound of it you are quite knowledgable on Ecutek, Was your previously Ecutek flashed car a Subie or Mitsu. I ask because the tuning/logging options were very different between the two. I'm not calling BS at all, just trying to make people aware that the first is not always the best and if you read through the link I posted many people were unhappy with they're Ecutek experience. Mostly because of the locking of ECU's and the high price. I know many owners of X's are new to this site and may not know Ecutek had been around for previous gen Evo's.

Props to them for getting it out first, There's certainly money to be made for the work it took to do it. I hope Ecutek sticks with they're development of the X like they did not for the 8/9.
The main reason why Ecutek discontinued development for the Evo 8 & 9 was the advent of free tuning tools which obviously rendered the profitability of improving a tuning tool for those applications a moot issue. (its hard to compete against a free product and make a living).

For example- Cobb Tuning has certaing hit a huge home run on its Access Port for Evos and that product is the best Evo tuning tools hands down. However, few of my customers want to spend the additional cost of the Access Port unit itself ($695) in order to get the additional features (live map tracing, data logging, real time tuning, on the fly map switching) etc. This is regretable as the Cobb AP is one amazing product but again its hard to compete against something for free - especially in this economy.

On the Subaru side, Ecutek has continued to add additional features and functions and its product continues to be a world class tuning application.

There are a lot of people who now have expectations that everything should be free when it comes to tuning tools. However, the reality is that a product like this takes hundreds of man hours to develop and test. Having a profit motivation and selling the product for a fee is why companies like Ecutek continue to invest huge sums to keep up with new ecu platforms.

Al

Last edited by DynoFlash; Apr 1, 2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:25 PM

Will ecutek flashes prevent the dealer from doing their thing when I'm in for service? For instance, can the dealer flash over it with updates from Mitsu, and then can I go have it ecutek'd again directly afterward? Also, can the dealer still read out codes and do all the other tests on the car that they need to if its flashed by ecutek?

I've pretty much decided that all the little hints my service manager has been giving me amounts to this: they will not try to determine if I'm flashed, but they will report any issues they have while working on the ecu and void my warranty if they can't do their work.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Al, no where did I say it should be free and I don't feel that way at all.
In fact I have payed you to tune my Ecutek car in the past......

I'm just trying to express what my experiences were when I bough Ecutek 'cause then it was one of the only reflashing methods for the Evo, besides you using your TechTom. I ended up being dissapointed and to top it off my ECU was locked when I went to get a reflash from another source...Thanks MJ for cracking that issue. Guy's, I am not trying to beat a dead horse and in the end you should use A. what is available and you trust and B. what your tuner prefers.

Last edited by zbomb; Apr 1, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
Account Disabled

Question: The word on the X MR was that the Tranny ECU needed to be cracked alongside the Engine ECU.

This ECUtek says it has software for the X MR, does that mean the Tranny ECU as well as the Engine ECU have been cracked? I ask because there is supposedly a wtq limit of 300lbs on the MR flywheel, and if you mod near that amount a failsafe kicks in putting the car into limp mode.

Does this software address this issue? If so, how much hp can the stock flywheel handle?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
Question: The word on the X MR was that the Tranny ECU needed to be cracked alongside the Engine ECU.

This ECUtek says it has software for the X MR, does that mean the Tranny ECU as well as the Engine ECU have been cracked? I ask because there is supposedly a wtq limit of 300lbs on the MR flywheel, and if you mod near that amount a failsafe kicks in putting the car into limp mode.

Does this software address this issue? If so, how much hp can the stock flywheel handle?

Thanks.

Great question , no wonder your a Director The HKS FQ series havent touched the TC - SST so it will be interesting if the ECUTEK guys craked the tranny ECU .

The best news is that it will be available in Australia supposedly our cars will put out 217kw and only 366NM so should our gains be greater than the US Cars with your tune ?

Cheers
Michael

Last edited by Lock & Load; Apr 1, 2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:50 PM

I cant wait to see what the X can really do now!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am ready to order now...
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:24 PM
Account Disabled

One more factor to consider

Both Ecutek and Cobb offer 24/7 support for the dealers and a full time tech staff to provide support for new roms and also help with tuning questions for the dealer network

Often, they, (Cobb and Ecutek) provide the dealers with excelent example mapping to use as a starting point for complex cars and new models.

This kind of paid support obviously costs a great deal to fund but it helps make a more professional product and a superior result for the customer.

Al
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK OK i am a little confuesed. (New GUY lol) For us regular guys that just want there car tuned we just wait in my case for some one to do a in the MAIL flash from like AMS? We dont need to actually buy anything for you correct. Lets make this simple I JUST WANT MY CAR TUNED lol. What do i have to do.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en

Thanks.
+1 for an answer!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BadazzCR
Its good that Ecutek is about to release the EvoX stuff, should give them about a month head start over Cobb.

Just sux for us Ecutek dealers that have invested into Ecutek over the last years, tens of thousands of dollars that they have decided to charge alot extra for it.

Becuase of that, I will wait for Cobb to release it to us at no additional charge. Whats a few weeks anyway.
Doug

First off Kudos to Cobb if they are going to indeed provide us with an Evo update for free. Cobb has always been a top notch outfit and I love their products.

As for Ecutek, I do not feel what they are charging us dealers is overly priced. In fact I paid significantly more for both my tech tom applications.

Frankly, I was plesantly suprized with what they are asking as I feel the price is very fair for what you get. I would like to have seen a higher price as it would seperate the men from the boys so to speak. What really pained be about the entire so called "open source" movement was when so called "expert" tuners could come out of no where, with no experience and start a tuning business with some free software and little or no time spent on R & D etc. When someone opens a tuning facility or rents dyno time they soon realize that everything costs a lot of money. The people who invest in real tuning tools and dyno use or a dyno won't be the ones whoring out the market with $49 tuning as there would never be enough income from such a enterprise to recover the investment or to support a legitamate business.

The main problem with any over seas products at this time is the exchange rate on our dollars. When you consider that bascially it costs us $2 for every one of their dollars any over seas products from Europe is not going to to be cheap.

As far as what Ecutek has charged us in the past, what we paid in the past was for the previous products. I know that they have been working very hard and have a team of software gurus on hand to develop the product, test it and support it.

I expect to pay additional fees when a new ecu and car comes out and I feel it is fair.

At the end of the day it is not the hard working guys like Ecutek who are to blame for the "problem" of investing in tuning tools. The "problem" is those who seek to misappropriate thye hard work of others and give things away for free. Everyone should be entitled to be paid for their hard work.

The "community" of tuners and customer should be very thankful that Ecutek did not write off the entire American market. It seems that they do very well indeed all over the rest of the world where professional tuners seem to charge reasonable rates for tuning services and where customers seem to not mind paying a fair price for said services.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
OK OK i am a little confuesed. (New GUY lol) For us regular guys that just want there car tuned we just wait in my case for some one to do a in the MAIL flash from like AMS? We dont need to actually buy anything for you correct. Lets make this simple I JUST WANT MY CAR TUNED lol. What do i have to do.
It is undetermined at this time if mail in reflashing will be supported with this equipment as a matter of hardware.

I can speak only for myself when I say that it will be several weeks at least before I can master this new car to the extent to coisider doing mail in tunes.

In the meantime, I would suggest to contact a Ecutek dealer in your area who can provide custom tuning on your individual car.

Al
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

So will new Ecutek flash still lock the ECU from all other reflashes, including dealer reflashes?

I have no problem paying for a product that works, I'm an engineer and I design products for a living. However, I see no reason to pay for a product that removes all access to an ECU I already own.

Does or does not the new Ecutek product lock out access once the ECU is flashed?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evostang
So will new Ecutek flash still lock the ECU from all other reflashes, including dealer reflashes?

I have no problem paying for a product that works, I'm an engineer and I design products for a living. However, I see no reason to pay for a product that removes all access to an ECU I already own.

Does or does not the new Ecutek product lock out access once the ECU is flashed?
I don't know about the new application yet.

The previous versions can all be removed from the car and the ecu unlocked by any ecutek dealer.

Quick Reply: EcuTek official EVO X FlashCAN software release