Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

WORKS EVO X Flash has arrived

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baseline dyno was done with WORKS drop-in, Turbo-XS manual boost controller, and a Speed Circuit test pipe. Results: Up 38.6 hp, 15.6 ft-lbs.

The car was on the dyno for HOURS. It was 100+ degrees in the shop. The night before, they had dyno'd at 288+ hp when it was about 80 degrees. The heat and humidity obviously had a big effect on numbers.

They installed their boost hose on my car. You can see that it does help the taper, but they couldn't eliminate it. The boost holds pretty well until ~6700 rpms.

Obviously this dynapack reads lower than most dynapacks for some reason. They honestly do not know why. It was calibrated less than 2 months ago. For comparison, their stock X dyno'd around 207hp, 241 ft-lbs on the same dyno.

Any more info can be had from them directly. Give them a call if you're desperate to know, but they will be responding shortly.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you! How does it feel compared to stock, and compared to pretune? Also, heavy foot aside, how is your gas mileage after the tune?

Last edited by Moostafa29; May 19, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I hope that's just their dyno and other dynos look a little smoother than that.
Old May 19, 2008, 02:35 PM

The test pipe and drop-in filter alone got rid of A LOT of the hesitation that the X is known for, but it wasn't completely gone. I had a few stutters here and there ~5.8k-7k rpms. I ran with those two mods for probably 6 weeks. Now with this tune, the turbo will kick you in the *****. It is difficult to say how much power I am really making in cooler weather, especially with a different dyno, but this power band is super smooth once you're in it. You can see fluctuations on the graph, but I can't really feel it. Top end feels a lot more powerful, especially between about 30-80mph.

I'm not a pro tuner by any means, so my opinion is pretty limited. It was definitely worth it to me though. Plus, I got to drive around their shop X with all their goodies on it while they had my X for 2 days. Their entire operation up there in Sonoma is top notch. I was treated like an old friend right off the bat. I won't talk pricing, but they gave me a HELL of a deal.

And all runs were done in 4th gear if anyone was wondering. I don't know exactly how many pulls they did, but I can honestly say that they did at least 60 pulls on it. I am very pleased with the numbers, considering the weather and regular heat soak from previous runs.
Old May 19, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blanknotice
I don't know exactly how many pulls they did, but I can honestly say that they did at least 60 pulls on it.
60 pulls? holy crap.
Old May 19, 2008, 02:47 PM

Yeah, they dyno'd it for about an hour or two the first night I would guess for the baseline and a few preliminary tunes. Then from what I heard they literally had my car on the dyno from 10 am until I saw them take it off around 7 pm. These guys worked their asses off for me. One guy skipped his lunch to continue work on the flash. I highly recommend any and all of their products. As far as professionalism goes, they are some of the best around, regardless of how well their product works or how they market themselves. I got a good idea of how their operation works from the few hours I spent with them. This is my first Evo, so I don't have much prior experience, but I have a high regard for these guys compared to other companies I've dealt with for my previous cars.
Old May 19, 2008, 04:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm getting tired of deleting nasty little comments in this thread. Works is obviously busy tuning cars. I am sure they will update this thread when they have time.

I'd like to know more about this boost hose that comes with the flash. Is it a little tube with a pin hole that acts as a bleeder, or a smaller diameter restrictor at the WG? I'm assuming they are controlling the boost through the ECU and not with the MBC anymore.

Good job Works.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:56 PM

Works is definitely busy. They hardly have time to answer their own cell phones. I don't want to give misleading information about their products and specifications, but give them some time to come on here and chime in.

Another thing I didn't mention is that my redline has been increased by 100 rpms, and I upped the 1st gear launch control to 6000 rpms. They do have the ability to change those (or eliminate the launch control), as well as adjust the throttle sensitivity. I didn't have mine tweaked, but they mentioned that it was an option.