Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

PERRIN ECUTEK Stage 1 Proving...

Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PERRIN ECUTEK Stage 1 Proving...

The full write-up can be found on our site HERE

PERRIN ECUTEK Stage 1 tune and prove

We did our test and tuning a little backwards compared to most people. Since we started with the ECUTEK stuff a little late in the game compared to others, and we started our first test and tune session with our EVO X in stage 3 form. We spent a lot of time playing with the variable cam stuff, and a bunch of tables that most people wouldn't normally mess with. We learned a lot about how the ECU works, and what makes power on the new X. We have taken what we learned and applied it to the Stage 1 tuning.

First off we did our initial tuning with the Unichip and while we did get great results with it, we got even better results with the ECUTEK Flash. Being able to control cams, and do some other maping and not having to trick the ECU in any way made for a better more powerful EVO. PDXEVO (Chris P) was one of our candidates for helping us out with proving the Unichip on his stock EVO. We did have it installed and working, but we pulled it off in favor of the ECUTEK flash, then did a whole tuning session on his car.

Like we said, we learning a lot from our Stage 3 tuning and applied this to his Stage 1 car. Just like we found on our Stage 3 EVOX, we gained lots of low end power over the Unichip. Below is the car after we were done tuning it. The overall HP numbers were a little lower (like 5-8WHP) from the Unichip tune, but this was done an 80 degree day, compared to a 64 degree day. So slightly less HP is expected.

I think Chris was pretty happy with his car, and with his new found low end power! And to verify our mapping we have a couple more cars lined up that are bone stock. One of them is another local customer who has been on the verge of selling his EVO because of how slow it is compared to his last car. He bugs us all the time about how, if we don't make his car faster he is just going to sell it! Well we got our hand on his car, and did a few base runs to verify power and torque. Compared to our shop car, and the above X, it made less HP and TQ overall. But again compared to the last day we dynoed an X, its now 10-15F hotter(90-95).

After a few base runs, and 256 seconds of flashing later, we got virtually the same results as our last stock EVO X. The overall gains were almost exactly the same, but the peak numbers were a little lower. Again this could be from heat, or from a motor with less mileage.

I hope that Tad( the customer) finds his car is now fun to drive and doesn't sell it! Again the biggest change is down low. The difference is so huge that it makes it feel like its got an extra .5L of displacement...........hmmm STI??? Wait, no EVO...

Finally since we have some good dyno data to back up our maps we can better compare the different levels of HP. First and most important one is the different boost curves. This below shows the stock boost curve versus Stage 1 versus Stage 3. We felt 25PSI is safe for Stage 1 and 27psi for Stage 3 does just fine. EGT's , knock and air temps are all in place.

And the HP graphs that go with those boost curves...

At this point, its fair to say the EVO X, IS a contender to take over and become a more desired car than the EVO 9. And just like the EVO 9 and 8, INTAKES DO SCREW WITH THE MAF SIGNAL!!!!!!

WE have been seeing tons of guys putting on filters with no tuning, and even drop in filters that "make 25HP". Well on that note, on a stock, unturned car, I am sure there is gains had by these, but its not because the intake is restrictive! Before we were done with both the above cars, we tried our panel filter and saw the exact same thing, 2-3 degrees of knock retard. But the exact same power?? Also they ran a little leaner?? Well the panel filter alone caused a pretty large change to the MAF readings and at the same RPM and boost the ECU thought it was seeing about 5-10% less airflow. IF the ECU was not tuned, this would have leaned it out (making power) and added timing (making power) and ran just fine. But on a tuned ECU, this is not a good idea!! Then add in the cone filter! Forget it! These are sooooo far off, there is no way I would put one on a car that is tuned unless there was a custom map for it. This process will take while and it is something we are working on. The proper way is to make a new MAF curve and this isn't something that can be quickly accomplished on the dyno with the time it takes between flashes. So over the next few weeks, keep an eye on us releasing maps specific to intakes.

That's all for now! If you are ready for a PERRIN mail in EVO X custom flash for you 92 octane or better EVO X, give us a ring!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awww no cali love with our 91 Octane.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

so a intake is no good unless its a custom tune? does a intake even yield much with a tune? vs stock airbox?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

No the intake is bad if you HAVE a tune. NO tune and you're ok.

"IF the ECU was not tuned, this would have leaned it out (making power) and added timing (making power) and ran just fine."
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

So is it your opinion that the earlier boost curve is due to MIVEC adjustments? I have not seen anyone else that has lowered the rpm boost point, excellent job!!

I would be curious to see a stage 1 flash that uses the stock 22 psi...
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
+1billion, No Oklahoma Love Either lol.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Massappeal
so a intake is no good unless its a custom tune? does a intake even yield much with a tune? vs stock airbox?
Well at this point, the panel filter after the retune, did a couple extra HP, but not enough to use it as a huge feature. The real feature is its reusable. The cone filter may make some HP but this is taking much more tuning to get it dialed so we do not have data at this time. The problem is both throw off the tune, and retuning for the intake as long as its back to the same AFR and timing, will throw in a variable to the actual gains.

Originally Posted by Rguy
No the intake is bad if you HAVE a tune. NO tune and you're ok.

"IF the ECU was not tuned, this would have leaned it out (making power) and added timing (making power) and ran just fine."
yup, its a tuff thing as guys are saying how it gained power putting on the intake, but its really gaining power because its "tuning" the car.

Originally Posted by starmax
So is it your opinion that the earlier boost curve is due to MIVEC adjustments? I have not seen anyone else that has lowered the rpm boost point, excellent job!!

I would be curious to see a stage 1 flash that uses the stock 22 psi...
Nope, not my opinion, but a fact. This along with boost control changes is 100% the reason why its more responsive. We spent lots of time playing with the MIVEC mapping (both exhaust and intake) and got those results from it.

The car runs so well at 25psi that why go lower! WE even ran 27psi a few times and its just fine because it only at low RPM. 22psi may be all we can do on the 91 mapping??

Originally Posted by dcasandman
+1billion, No Oklahoma Love Either lol.
Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Soon,just not initially. You should just move......... both you guys!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff

Soon,just not initially. You should just move......... both you guys!
If I didnt make so much money and it wasnt so cheap to live here I would move, but living is good here lol. What you pay millions for on the Coasts for a house I can buy for 500k here in Oklahoma.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

That is funny!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:46 AM

evo x tuning by perrin

just got my car back from perrin performance, and i am finally happy with the car. it is much more responsive , smoother, and has much more grunt at low end. and no i won't sell it now i am happy. but i can't wait for all of the production parts to show up. more power is always good. it also got rid of the studder it had in the top end, and now pulls hard all the way to 7500 rpm's. and i think it might even be getting better mpg's. i'm filling up today, and am going to keep my foot out of it. no more 135 mph pulls. the other nice thing, is that you show up to a professional looking shop, i hate showing up the a dirty run down half assed shop. you can tell these guy's mean business.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
At this point, its fair to say the EVO X, IS a contender to take over and become a more desired car than the EVO 9. And just like the EVO 9 and 8, INTAKES DO SCREW WITH THE MAF SIGNAL!!!!!!

WE have been seeing tons of guys putting on filters with no tuning, and even drop in filters that "make 25HP". Well on that note, on a stock, unturned car, I am sure there is gains had by these, but its not because the intake is restrictive! Before we were done with both the above cars, we tried our panel filter and saw the exact same thing, 2-3 degrees of knock retard. But the exact same power?? Also they ran a little leaner?? Well the panel filter alone caused a pretty large change to the MAF readings and at the same RPM and boost the ECU thought it was seeing about 5-10% less airflow. IF the ECU was not tuned, this would have leaned it out (making power) and added timing (making power) and ran just fine. But on a tuned ECU, this is not a good idea!!
We agree. We have not modified our X intake for this reason and also concur that intakes really to not increase any flow at this level of modification, they merely lower the maf signal.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you tell us exactly what mods are on the stage 3 car? Your results look great as it seems like you are getting a lot for less..
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good testing
Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

I gotta ask in the situation with the drop in filter in the stock airbox, why does the MAF not read true? I understand that on the stock tune, the effective lean out results in a hp gain, but why does it fool the sensor with the original airbox housing still in place? Presumably the foam element filters do have less restriction than paper.

a little off topic...how much hp do you think the stock airbox would support... i hate throwing out perfectly good parts.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike100
I gotta ask in the situation with the drop in filter in the stock airbox, why does the MAF not read true? I understand that on the stock tune, the effective lean out results in a hp gain, but why does it fool the sensor with the original airbox housing still in place? Presumably the foam element filters do have less restriction than paper.

a little off topic...how much hp do you think the stock airbox would support... i hate throwing out perfectly good parts.
I also would like to know the answer to this question. I can see how the MAF cannot read cone filters and how intake pipes can throw it off......but I can't see how the MAF cannot respond properly to a little more airflow through the stock airbox.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PERRIN ECUTEK Stage 1 Proving...