Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

P1241 code + limp mode

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 09_Lancer_GTS
i have one but i thought clearing and disconnection the neg is the same thing... (i disconnected the neg only and the code came back) thats what i been told
THere was a how to reset the ECU.

Search around there is a extra step involved in doing a reset.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing this back from the grave~!
During my morning commute I've experience the Code p1241! I was in part throttle .. 3rd gear just above 3 grand but not more than 4. After shifting to 4th gear, Car just did not respond at all.. rev's were gone and car was just dead. I pulled to the side (on a very busy street) turn off car, connected my AP and code p1241!!!
Do any of you know what's making this happen? I don't want to experience this while driving anywhere esp in a road event/track.

The only thing that stands out is that yesterday I filled up w/ fuel from shell and prior to that I think I got mobil 93 oct. That's all I can remember besides my mods...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chidevildog
Bringing this back from the grave~!
During my morning commute I've experience the Code p1241! I was in part throttle .. 3rd gear just above 3 grand but not more than 4. After shifting to 4th gear, Car just did not respond at all.. rev's were gone and car was just dead. I pulled to the side (on a very busy street) turn off car, connected my AP and code p1241!!!
Do any of you know what's making this happen? I don't want to experience this while driving anywhere esp in a road event/track.

The only thing that stands out is that yesterday I filled up w/ fuel from shell and prior to that I think I got mobil 93 oct. That's all I can remember besides my mods...
I can tell you right now what's causing that issue by looking at your signature.

The FORGE RS is causing that issue to come on. I am 100% sure of this. It's a POS valve that does not work on X, even though FORGE "thinks" it works fine.

I sold mine cause it made the car undriveable, it would happen everyday of the commute.

Here is more info from my thread.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...limp-mode.html
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
I can tell you right now what's causing that issue by looking at your signature.

The FORGE RS is causing that issue to come on. I am 100% sure of this. It's a POS valve that does not work on X, even though FORGE "thinks" it works fine.

I sold mine cause it made the car undriveable, it would happen everyday of the commute.

Here is more info from my thread.
Just read the thread above ^ a lot of information I have to digest. My BOV does not have any settings or whatsover. It's a direct fit/replacement for the stock bov?? Im confused. I bought the Bov from a member here and he had it on his X (mr) and said he never had any problem.. I will however switch it to the stock bov later and try in on...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chidevildog
Just read the thread above ^ a lot of information I have to digest. My BOV does not have any settings or whatsover. It's a direct fit/replacement for the stock bov?? Im confused. I bought the Bov from a member here and he had it on his X (mr) and said he never had any problem.. I will however switch it to the stock bov later and try in on...
The stock DV will not throw a p1241, some BOV will not throw a p1241. But it really depends on the car and mods. It's hard to say which one will work and which one will not work. I think the best options are GFB Stealth FX, WORKS DV, Synapse BOV, I seen some people have luck with the Tial 50mm.

P.S. Forge RS should have a knob on the top to adjust it, even on the softest setting of all the way - (negative) it would throw a p1241.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

The stock DV will not throw a p1241, some BOV will not throw a p1241. But it really depends on the car and mods. It's hard to say which one will work and which one will not work. I think the best options are GFB Stealth FX, WORKS DV, Synapse BOV, I seen some people have luck with the Tial 50mm.

P.S. Forge RS should have a knob on the top to adjust it, even on the softest setting of all the way - (negative) it would throw a p1241.
thanks for the support bud! i will do my mini experiment later ...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P1241 - Torque Monitor

You hit a 1241 limp mode when you're at part throttle and the turbo is spooling faster than normal, providing more boost/airlfow than the ECU expects for that given rpm and load. You can modify the Airflow and Torque limit tables on your map so you never get this code again.

An aftermarket BOV does not make the engine hit a torque limit.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
P1241 - Torque Monitor

You hit a 1241 limp mode when you're at part throttle and the turbo is spooling faster than normal, providing more boost/airlfow than the ECU expects for that given rpm and load. You can modify the Airflow and Torque limit tables on your map so you never get this code again.

That what I was thinking Initally, although it's a good sign that Im making good power... I have to go back on the drawing boards with all the variables in play and see where this takes me bov related or not thanks bro!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 03:02 PM
Account Disabled

P1241 - Torque Monitor

Then I am baffled that when I took off the FORGE RS bov the torque limit problems went away, neither me nor Chad Block could fix the torque limit code, as much as we tried with setting the tables properly up and down.

No other BOV throws a p1241 to my knowledge, multiple cases of people with a FORGE RS throwing a p1241 constantly. Why is that?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Then I am baffled that when I took off the FORGE RS bov the torque limit problems went away, neither me nor Chad Block could fix the torque limit code, as much as we tried with setting the tables properly up and down.

No other BOV throws a p1241 to my knowledge, multiple cases of people with a FORGE RS throwing a p1241 constantly. Why is that?
When did you throw this 1241...driving normally or aggressively? On the throttle? Off the throttle? Part throttle boost? Part throttle no boost? High or low rpm? There's a lot of different scenarios that can cause the engine to hit a torque limit.

The only time the BOV does anything is when you let off the throttle. On the throttle, it's closed, it does nothing. Unless it's always open, always leaking whether you're on or off the throttle, there should be no problem. If it is always open, that valve obviously is faulty and you shouldn't be using it anyways.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Sep 2, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:04 PM
Account Disabled

When did you throw this 1241...driving normally or aggressively? On the throttle? Off the throttle? Part throttle boost? Part throttle no boost? High or low rpm? There's a lot of different scenarios that can cause the engine to hit a torque limit.

The only time the BOV does anything is when you let off the throttle. On the throttle, it's closed, it does nothing. Unless it's always open, always leaking whether you're on or off the throttle, there should be no problem. If it is always open, that valve obviously is faulty and you shouldn't be using it anyways.

Best explains it. I switched to the GFB BOV and now no more issues. Dunno
Old Sep 3, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Ok let's think about this and try to explain it...

I took a couple excerpts from that thread:

Many times a week the car would act up and throw a limp mode on the highway in 4th or 5th gear. The conditions generally were on a slight incline / hill. I was in a partial throttle/boost situation where the boost was below 4 psi. The characteristics were I was either trying to maintain a desired speed limit or maintain a steady speed on a incline, which generally requires lite manipulation of the throttle.
This makes sense with part throttle boost traveling uphill. The free flowing intake and exhaust parts help the turbo spool faster than normal. Combined with the added load from trying to maintain speed uphill, the ECU sees more airflow/calculated load than it wants for that given rpm, pops a 1241 CEL and throws the car into limp mode.

Do not buy the FORGE RS BOV, it does not work properly for the EVO X. It simply does not stay closed at vacuum, which will cause BOV to flutter and then throw a p1241.
This doesn't make sense because A) BOVs don't flutter, that's compressor surge and B) Compressor surge doesn't throw a 1241 code.

You mentioned that even though you tightened down the spring tension all the way, the valve still leaked, so it's probably never fully closed even when the car is off. That tells me that particular valve that you have is defective.

Now let's explain the flutter. Since the spring is tightened all the way down, it will never open when you let off the throttle so you get compressor surge, but since it's still open slightly it lets out a tiny bit of air, which makes it sound like the fluttering sound is coming from the BOV. Basically it's open enough to let a little air out, but not open enough to prevent surge.

So you have a defective valve that leaks all the time. Now when you're traveling at part throttle and building boost, there's a leak, so the turbo is working harder to make the same amount of boost. The ECU sees this through more airflow than normal and based on this extra alrflow, calculates a higher load than it normally would, and since you're going uphill it's even higher. Now for that given throttle position and RPM, the load value is too high, which throws you into limp mode and pops the 1241 CEL.

So it's really your particular BOV that's causing this, since it will never fully close. Maybe it was just yours, or maybe it's all the Forge RS BOVs that have this problem This explains why nobody else, including yourself, is having any problems with any other BOV
Old Sep 3, 2009, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

Ok let's think about this and try to explain it...

I took a couple excerpts from that thread:

This makes sense with part throttle boost traveling uphill. The free flowing intake and exhaust parts help the turbo spool faster than normal. Combined with the added load from trying to maintain speed uphill, the ECU sees more airflow/calculated load than it wants for that given rpm, pops a 1241 CEL and throws the car into limp mode.

This doesn't make sense because A) BOVs don't flutter, that's compressor surge and B) Compressor surge doesn't throw a 1241 code.

You mentioned that even though you tightened down the spring tension all the way, the valve still leaked, so it's probably never fully closed even when the car is off. That tells me that particular valve that you have is defective.

Now let's explain the flutter. Since the spring is tightened all the way down, it will never open when you let off the throttle so you get compressor surge, but since it's still open slightly it lets out a tiny bit of air, which makes it sound like the fluttering sound is coming from the BOV. Basically it's open enough to let a little air out, but not open enough to prevent surge.

So you have a defective valve that leaks all the time. Now when you're traveling at part throttle and building boost, there's a leak, so the turbo is working harder to make the same amount of boost. The ECU sees this through more airflow than normal and based on this extra alrflow, calculates a higher load than it normally would, and since you're going uphill it's even higher. Now for that given throttle position and RPM, the load value is too high, which throws you into limp mode and pops the 1241 CEL.

So it's really your particular BOV that's causing this, since it will never fully close. Maybe it was just yours, or maybe it's all the Forge RS BOVs that have this problem This explains why nobody else, including yourself, is having any problems with any other BOV
Very well put, so what we concluded is that the FORGE RS does not work properly for the EVO X or that many FORGE RS BOV's leak and cause you to throw a p1241, which makes the turbo work much harder, causing the ECU to read higher load, causing a p1241 Torque Limit to show.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Right. The Forge RS you had was faulty and never completely closed, causing a boost leak that lead to a 1241 limp mode. We don't know if everyone's Forge RS leaks, so we can't just assume right off the bat that the BOV caused a 1241 limp mode.

If it happened once, it's probably the driving situation. If it happened multiple times, like yours, it starts looking more like a leaky BOV is the culprit.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:19 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Another bump of this old thread. Your input is appreciated!

I have a custom Ecuflash tune, full TBE, upper IC pipe, and drop in panel filter, car has been this way trouble free for months. Stock DV, stock airbox.

At 33 degrees outside today, I was driving home and at very low throttle input going straight, felt like I hit a wall, got CHECK TARMAC, ASC service required, and P1241 with limp mode. The limp mode was downright scary, felt like I had a 5HP lawn mower engine trying to propel my 3500# car. I didn't think I was going to make it home, it was all I could do to sustain 2000rpm, hunting at idle and pig rich.

I don't really understand why this would happen cruising down the road at 35mph.

Got home, pulled and cleared the code, went for a spirited ride, car was fine. I checked brake fluid level, connections to stock DV and UIC pipe, everything good. Tire pressures OK, 28-29.5 all the way around, I blame that on the cold for the low pressures.

I don't just want to jump into a DTC disable in my stock ROM yet, because I want to see if it does it again.

Is it more likely the P1241 caused the CHECK and ASC off, or more likely there was an ASC fault that threw the 1241 code?

Anyway, will update if/when I learn more.

Anyone with similar occurrences?

Quick Reply: P1241 code + limp mode