Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How does the EVO x react to increasing boost?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the EVO x react to increasing boost?

How well does the EVO x react to increasing the boost with out tuning? I want to install a boost controler and increase the boost a bit, but I dont want to have to go tune it just for a slight up in boost if I dont have to. I am wondering if any of you have tried this and how did the computer handle it?

Also what is the stock boost level set at and what is kind of a safe limit to go to?

I do plan on purchasing a wideband 02 and a boost gauge at the same time, so that I can watch A/F ratios but I figured I would just see if some one has tried this already.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:51 PM

I am running a Blitz controller with no tune, other upgrades include HKS Intake, Exhaust (with center pip), IC Piping, and my boost controller. I personally haven't had any problems.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

The ECU runs on a throttle voltage versus rpm 3D boost map ..

Using EBC you can cause an 'overboost' condition that trips limp mode at part throttle ..

If your EBC is controllable for part throttle boost, use this approximate

25% throttle ~ 0.8bar
50% throttle ~ 1.3bar
75% throttle ~ 1.5bar
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:00 AM
SiC
Evolved Member

The EvoX runs pig rich especially if you increase the boost. Although you may get higher boost pressures, the increase in power wouldn't be so high since the mixture is so rich. If you have a wideband, you'll be seeing 10-10.5 AFR, if you have a wb capable of reading lower than 10, you'll probably see 9's too.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I knew it ran rich, but damn, AFR's in the 9's. Might as well just pour fuel into the cylinders.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JC7119
I am running a Blitz controller with no tune, other upgrades include HKS Intake, Exhaust (with center pip), IC Piping, and my boost controller. I personally haven't had any problems.
So no check engine lights or any thing? do you know what your peak boost is?

Originally Posted by gunzo

Using EBC you can cause an 'overboost' condition that trips limp mode at part throttle ..

25% throttle ~ 0.8bar
50% throttle ~ 1.3bar
75% throttle ~ 1.5bar
Well I was planning on using just a manual boost controler. I have always used them on all my boosted cars and never really saw the need for an EBC.
This overboost condition, would that just be the computer detecting knock so it goes into that decreased power mode?

Originally Posted by SiC
The EvoX runs pig rich especially if you increase the boost. Although you may get higher boost pressures, the increase in power wouldn't be so high since the mixture is so rich. If you have a wideband, you'll be seeing 10-10.5 AFR, if you have a wb capable of reading lower than 10, you'll probably see 9's too.
well if you turn the boost up wont that lean it out some?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Freebs
Well I was planning on using just a manual boost controler. I have always used them on all my boosted cars and never really saw the need for an EBC.

This overboost condition, would that just be the computer detecting knock so it goes into that decreased power mode?
Nope, in stock condition the ECU limits boost at part throttle, and if you bypass that by using a manual boost controller it causes problems because the ECU looks at throttle position and the signal from the MAF sensor and determins that there is a "miss match" between the two readings and goes into limp mode... nothing to do with the knock sensor.

This problem can be tunned around by ECUtech programming if you are using a manual boost controller, and after it is out of beta testing I have no doubt ECU flash will be able too as well.

This is the disadvantage of a sophisticated drive by wire setup

Keith
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by gunzo

25% throttle ~ 0.8bar
50% throttle ~ 1.3bar
75% throttle ~ 1.5bar
Does this mean theres no limiting at 100% throttle.?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

There is but based on MAP pressure only at that point.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ZChip does not cause an overboost code even WITH a MBC.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
and after it is out of beta testing I have no doubt ECU flash will be able too as well.
ECUFlash can do it.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Nope, in stock condition the ECU limits boost at part throttle, and if you bypass that by using a manual boost controller it causes problems because the ECU looks at throttle position and the signal from the MAF sensor and determins that there is a "miss match" between the two readings and goes into limp mode... nothing to do with the knock sensor.

This problem can be tunned around by ECUtech programming if you are using a manual boost controller, and after it is out of beta testing I have no doubt ECU flash will be able too as well.

This is the disadvantage of a sophisticated drive by wire setup

Keith
Oh ok I understand now. so the max you could go would be

25% throttle 11.6psi 0.8bar
50% throttle 18.5psi 1.3bar
75% throttle 21.8psi 1.5bar

Now than next question, who makes a boost controler like this? I mean I am definatly no stranger to boosted cars but this is the first one the would require a boost controler like this.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 06:12 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freebs
Oh ok I understand now. so the max you could go would be

25% throttle 11.6psi 0.8bar
50% throttle 18.5psi 1.3bar
75% throttle 21.8psi 1.5bar

Now than next question, who makes a boost controler like this? I mean I am definatly no stranger to boosted cars but this is the first one the would require a boost controler like this.
With ECUTek or ECUFlash you can adjust those figures so it wont throw CELs at too much partial throttle boost. If you don't have either yet, the HKS EVC6 is capable of adjusting boost in accordance with throttle position & RPMs so you can control your boost within those number to prevent the CELs.

There seems to be more restrictions with the SST transmissions, you can prevent CELs by adjusting those figures on the 5MT (GSR) but you can still get CELs with the SST. The SST vehicles have a "Desired engine load map" based on RPM/Throttle position, if you go beyond those loads, you will throw a CEL. Currently ECUTek can adjust that map but with the current XML files, ECUFlash cannot. I'm sure the testers will find the address of those maps and update us with a new XML file soon
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:27 PM

No check engine lights been running the current set up for the past 1800 miles no problems what so ever. Just came back from a 350 mile trip and no problems. I went up 1500 feet above sea level with 0 problems so I am willing to say that it works pretty well. Just waiting for a good few days off and I am going to try to get down to Ivey for a tune.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The ZChip does not cause an overboost code even WITH a MBC.
the zchip will never be in production.

Quick Reply: How does the EVO x react to increasing boost?