Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Tuning suggestions? Zchip or AMS tune for my car?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im just amazed how this vendors are fighting for this!!! not a professional thing to do ...
dont think i ever seen AEM vs haltech fight who would win?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roidmonkey
im just amazed how this vendors are fighting for this!!! not a professional thing to do ...
dont think i ever seen AEM vs haltech fight who would win?
I don't really see any vendors "fighting." I don't know where you're getting this.

I would definitely go with AMS.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Custom Tune vs Zchip....you decide....
3. Longetivity - where will you be in 5 years? where will the product be in 5 years?
How long have you owned your car? How long have you owned the car before that? Is there any car you have ever owned for 5 years? I have never owned a car for 5 years. If you are considering purchasing a product based on the notion that you will be using it in 5 years, then there is something not right in that equation.
So I guess if someone decides to own their car for 5 years of more, than maybe there will be no support for the Zchip. The notion of not owning a car for more than five years... It could be possible then that Zetronics may want to stop producing this product for TTP and the EvoX community for the long haul. Not uncommon for some previous manufacturers for various other marques. Remember the xcede prior to the proceed?

Many options out there. With the new Access port, things are looking good and when the ECUFlash is finally out in its final release version, that will be something else. ECUtek is the most widely used tuning program so far with the most tuning hours. Can't ever go wrong with the industry leader.

Unfortunately there is no discussion on the Zchip ability to significantly modify the tune to accommodate the MR's unique tq requirements. All the other tunes can easily adjust for this.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smgevo
So I guess if someone decides to own their car for 5 years of more, than maybe there will be no support for the Zchip. The notion of not owning a car for more than five years... It could be possible then that Zetronics may want to stop producing this product for TTP and the EvoX community for the long haul. Not uncommon for some previous manufacturers for various other marques. Remember the xcede prior to the proceed?

Many options out there. With the new Access port, things are looking good and when the ECUFlash is finally out in its final release version, that will be something else. ECUtek is the most widely used tuning program so far with the most tuning hours. Can't ever go wrong with the industry leader.

Unfortunately there is no discussion on the Zchip ability to significantly modify the tune to accommodate the MR's unique tq requirements. All the other tunes can easily adjust for this.
Couple things. ZChip is made by Zeitronix. XEDE was made by Vishnu.

**5 years is a long time. Lets put things into perspective...

**The Evo in the USA has just reached its 5 year anniversary of being in this country.

**You have not been a member of this site 5 years. (only 90 days actually)

**A presidential terms is not even 5 years.

**Did you buy the Evo at the dealership with the guarantee that they would not change the features of the car in the next 5 years?

**Did they guarantee that the Evo 15 would be available for purchase 5 years later in the year 2014?

**Were Ecutek reflashes available 5 years ago? No.

Times change, technology changes. Buying a product today with a requirement that in the year 2014 you would like to insure that its technology is still cutting edge is quite a projection. In 2014 we may very well be running our vehicles on algae and natural gas for all that it known.

What we DO KNOW is that the ZChip has the full support of the manufacturer, tuners and the www.zchip.net tuning community with investments made in continued customer support after the sale and endless tuning support.

The ZChip has applications already implemented for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe soon to be released!

The ZChip is $439 and comes with power out of the box, self installed by the customer in 10 minutes and on their way with substantial power and torque gains with or without aftermarket boost control.

Accessport is $695 retail.

ZChip is 38% less costly and the gains have been dynoproven many times over. In these hard economic times, its easy to see how a consumer would want the most performance for their moneys worth.

They can custom dynotune the ZChip at anytime with the INCLUDED tuner software. The consumer cannot tune their own Accessport. They have to pay an Accessport Pro tuner to tune it if they can find one in their area.

All the other tunes can adjust for MR torque limiters? NO, this is INCORRECT. There is NOT ANY program available able to overcome the SST transmission torque limiters.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jan 1, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So after reading the z-chip forumn and seeing the installation instructions the z-chip is nothing more than a high resolution AFC.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by cpoevo
So after reading the z-chip forumn and seeing the installation instructions the z-chip is nothing more than a high resolution AFC.
The ZChip is a plug n play module that equals or bests a custom reflash in performance for about half the price while keeping the ECU in its FACTORY state without the need for removing and mailing the ECU, or writing over the factory mapping on the $35-40k car's ECU.

The ZChip is also end user programmable so that any inclined buyer can keep their Evo X on the cutting edge of tune as they further modify their own car.

With a reflash or AP, it would require multiple trips and dynotime to keep getting Pro tuned over and over again.

This adds even greater financial value to this end user tunable ZChip module.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

The ZChip is a plug n play module that equals or bests a custom reflash in performance for about half the price while keeping the ECU in its FACTORY state without the need for removing and mailing the ECU, or writing over the factory mapping on the $35-40k car's ECU.
But I thought you (Z-chip) couldn't adjust the mivec with this. So shouldn't you get better gains if you adjust the mivec maps (Flashes)? I could totally be wrong and I am just curious if this is the case.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aiden1983
But I thought you (Z-chip) couldn't adjust the mivec with this. So shouldn't you get better gains if you adjust the mivec maps (Flashes)? I could totally be wrong and I am just curious if this is the case.
That is correct you cannot adjust the mivec tables, raise the rev limiter, etc with the z-chip so if these are things your are interested in doing you will need a custom flash.

** MODERATORS **

Whoever is deleting my posts id like to know why. the above statement is 100% factual and on topic. If it is deleted please PM me and explain why. Thank you.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:35 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I want to ask for clarification on your first statement as I am still deciding on a tuning option over the winter until it's time to bring the X out of retirement. Are you saying the ZChip's off the shelf capability (preprogrammed for octane and altitude of course) will achieve equal to or better performance than a custom tune by an industry leading professional like the ones at AMS on a bone stock evo X? If that's the case, it defies all the tuning logic I've tried to read up on here and now I am really confused. Isn't custom tuning (assuming it's done correctly) always better than off the shelf as far as performance goes?

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this, but I was always under the impression that custom tuning was better than mail-in or plug and play in every way. Even all the posts regarding the ZChip numbers show much better performance on the vehicles professionally tuned by TTP.

Again, I just want clarification because either I am reading it wrong or that's a game changing statement.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

and the flamable advertising keep coming ...
Moderator, can you understand what I wrote in th PM ?????????????????????????

Is this thread useful ???????????
waiting to be deleted again ...
This is getting a joke
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

I rhink this would go for Vendor area, as is only discussion wich one is better, prices and ads ....

MODERATORS ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

AMS because they are a reputable tuner. AMS is one of the biggest tuners for evos and they know alot about Evo X.

Isn't the ZChip a piggyback??? Piggybacks are garbage compared to reflashes.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by aiden1983
Gadiel Tuning from Puerto Rico is a well respected tuner and has used a number of Euro and JDM mivec maps to NO GAIN on the Evo X.

In our own MIVEC testing, the MIVEC mapping appears to only change the powerband and move it higher in the RPM range.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the power band is not as important then a peak hp or tq?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:15 AM
Former Sponsor

I just wanted to pop in really quick and say thank you to everyone who has been recommending us.

We really appreciate your support over here

If anybody has any questions related to tuning via AMS, or specific questions about any setup, I am available via PM as well!

Quick Reply: Tuning suggestions? Zchip or AMS tune for my car?