Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Upgraded Internal Wastegate Actuator: EVO X - Gain 40whp?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hassan,

Personally, I'd just install a smaller restrictor pill or even better an aftermarket 3-port bcs. Both considerably inexpensive compared to that replacement actuator. They're all reasonable solutions to holding boost better.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah this WGA isnt going to do what you think if you just simply only bolt it on. I did it with my car with a forge and FP 18psi WGA
Old May 7, 2009, 12:09 PM
Account Disabled

i used the forged got a discount on mine so i got it and top end boost holds much better
Old May 7, 2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Evo a Mula
i used the forged got a discount on mine so i got it and top end boost holds much better
Did u just bolt it on, or did u get a tune afterwards?
Old May 7, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

you dont gain any power with it.

someone i know put just a forge WGA on his car and dynod less then me on the same dyno. stock vs stock + WGA.

Last edited by meat_EVO; May 7, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wga at best only changes your power curve, it doesn't add hp.
Old May 7, 2009, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by tmarcel
hassan,

Personally, I'd just install a smaller restrictor pill or even better an aftermarket 3-port bcs. Both considerably inexpensive compared to that replacement actuator. They're all reasonable solutions to holding boost better.
The problem is how to get these stuff and where get it from?!
How to install it?
You see most people have no experience with turbos! My other cars was solid v6 or v8 engine!
What can i do to reduce turbo lag?!
I do a lot of drift and the lag bothering me so much!
HELP.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meat_EVO
you dont gain any power with it.

someone i know put just a forge WGA on his car and dynod less then me on the same dyno. stock vs stock + WGA.
Yeah, then the peak boost level dropped and the WGA needed to be adjusted further. Most of these have a stronger spring and are more capable of keeping the wastegate flapper shut at higher RPM.

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
wga at best only changes your power curve, it doesn't add hp.
No. If you're making peak power up top anyway, and the WGA enables your wastegate flapper to stay perfectly shut up top, allowing you to make more boost; then you're going to end up making more peak HP.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
Yeah, then the peak boost level dropped and the WGA needed to be adjusted further. Most of these have a stronger spring and are more capable of keeping the wastegate flapper shut at higher RPM.
not the case, he hit 26psi vs my 23psi. he made 1 less whp. go figure
Old May 7, 2009, 06:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you actually do any tuning yourself? There are so many factors involved, it's not even funny. Could have been substantially more knock after the wastegate upgrade, and the ECU loves to pull timing and dump fuel on these engines. Unless you know for sure, stop speculating because what you're saying is highly debatable.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've dynoed before and after, when using a Manual boost controller to keep boost levels the same it will hold more boost in the mid range where you might see 15-20 whp gains. I was already maxxed at low RPM's and above 5500 rpms the turbo begins to taper from 25 psi down to 19 psi at 7500 rpms regardless of the wastgate being held shut by a stronger actuator.

So due to this mod only helping midrange boost it really won't show up on peak HP numbers at 6000-6500 because you can't force the turbo to hold any more boost than it was before. That is easily why it might show up as making less peak HP but if you overlay the dyno graphs there would be more HP and torque from 4000-5500 for sure. Here are my dyno plots:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ore-boost.html

Basically you will want to get a tune to adjust the boost levels or use a MBC if you get a Forge WGA. Like others have said the stock boost control is assuming a WGA spring opening pressure of 10-12 psi , not 19-24 psi so it will overboost if you don't plan ahead.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On the stock turbo the boost tapers starting at 5500 rpm's. Assuming that best case scenario you are tapered down to 22 psi by 6500, it doesn't matter if you had 26 psi or 23 psi at lower RPM's the extra boost won't improve the peak HP numbers. In fact it may even hurt them if the hotter intake charge is heat soaking the intercooler enough through the run.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hassan, look into the DIY w/g mod. Your boost wont taper down as far and helps hold boost in the top end. (if i understand correctly)
Old May 7, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Do you actually do any tuning yourself? There are so many factors involved, it's not even funny. Could have been substantially more knock after the wastegate upgrade, and the ECU loves to pull timing and dump fuel on these engines. Unless you know for sure, stop speculating because what you're saying is highly debatable.
all i was saying is that the wastegate alone dose not add 40whp as stated and i was talking about some results that i knew of that stated this as a fact. other then that, you sound like you know everything in the world.

Originally Posted by Hiboost
On the stock turbo the boost tapers starting at 5500 rpm's. Assuming that best case scenario you are tapered down to 22 psi by 6500, it doesn't matter if you had 26 psi or 23 psi at lower RPM's the extra boost won't improve the peak HP numbers. In fact it may even hurt them if the hotter intake charge is heat soaking the intercooler enough through the run.
once again... i was simply aswereing the guys question when he asked if you gained 40whp from this mod.

answer is no.

Last edited by meat_EVO; May 7, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old May 7, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. If you're making peak power up top anyway, and the WGA enables your wastegate flapper to stay perfectly shut up top, allowing you to make more boost; then you're going to end up making more peak HP.
true, but what i'm saying is that a uprated wga doesn't add hp. higher boost does.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Internal Wastegate Actuator: EVO X - Gain 40whp?