Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

CVN!? Tuners feel free to chime in..

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're not the first group to be in this boat...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...=Warranty+tune

The hope would then be Mitsubishi implemented it analogous to GM.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:20 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like two things:

1) Your tuner didn't reflash you back to your car's stock map. He may have put on a stock map, but it wasn't the stock map from your car. Sorry to hear about that because your tuner screwed you.

2) Your dealership is going to put a new engine your old car for about $5k or less. Of course they wanted to buy it back because they stand to make a ton of money on it as a used car.

Good luck with the new car. Use a different tuner for this new one.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Sounds like two things:

1) Your tuner didn't reflash you back to your car's stock map. He may have put on a stock map, but it wasn't the stock map from your car. Sorry to hear about that because your tuner screwed you.

2) Your dealership is going to put a new engine your old car for about $5k or less. Of course they wanted to buy it back because they stand to make a ton of money on it as a used car.

Agree 100% I would have a nice talk with your tuner! Thats why i stick with the big boys like AMS they wont do you wrong like your tuner did!
Old May 25, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Um i don't know why anyone didn't ask this:

WHO Tuned Your Car

??
Old May 25, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I am wondering how you blew your motor with that little amount of mods and a flash? Since the motor would not normally blow with just those bolt-ons, I'm going to assume it was either your tune, or you mis-shifting. I guess you could've also turned up the boost.

I just want to know so I do not have the same problem.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NyRsNy
That is bull****...I know for a fact that there is no way to detect a flash if it is returned to stock maps properly! Ect-tek im 100% sure! Ecuflash im 99% sure correct me if im wrong on the ecuflash, will never happen. It sounds like they were bluffing or your tuner F*cked you.
They can count the number of times the car is flashed. They obviously have all dealer flashes registered to the VIN. All they have to do is simple subtraction to see how many extra times its been flashed.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got tuned at AMS..and the from another forum they were saying that since I modded the car after the tune, there might not have been much wiggle room for mods..especially ones that lean the car out. I don't think it was the tune..but I am just wondering..how I can get my CVN back to the factory one, if I get flashed again. I didn't turn the boost up..although I have read that adding an intake can cause boost spike..not really sure about this..
Account Disabled

I'm at a loss for words....I can't believe this thread is for real. Even if all of this were true I would have "Licked my Wounds" and had a Real Shop fully build my motor and get it done right. Andy why get another Evo knowing you're not going to keep it stock. Do you think you're going to fool them the next time? Good luck, I don't have the money to be this Nieve.
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NyRsNy
Agree 100% I would have a nice talk with your tuner! Thats why i stick with the big boys like AMS they wont do you wrong like your tuner did!
LOL..I did get tuned at AMS..
Old May 25, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Sounds like two things:

Yeah I know that is why the dealer is buying the car back..they will be able to sell it for more than they bought it back for and in the process make more money b/c they are selling me a new one. I would use the same tuner simply because, AMS is local and they have a damn good rep..I really don't know what happened I was under the impression that the car had the stock map. But since I have all these bolt-ons sitting around..then...I guess..I will just slap them all one at once and get tuned in a month or so...
Old May 25, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ImsoevoX
LOL..I did get tuned at AMS..

Foot in mouth

WOW..so ams gave u the the newer map when the dealer knew you had the old 1 so they knew it was flashed not by them, or the dealer bluffed? I know for a fact from personal experience with AMS that when they; if they return it back to stock there is no count or anything detectable by the dealer or the regional rep! 100% sure about this.

Unless they found some freeze codes with out of stock range data or something. Not sure about that tho...did u disconnect the battery to clear out the computer?

Last edited by NyRsNy; May 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ImsoevoX
They just said the district rep came in and looked at the ECU..saw the CVN didn't match..with mitsu stuff..and voided out my warranty..they completely voided the powertrain warranty..and even if I put a brand new motor in the car..my power train would have still been voided. So I thought it was be less of a headache to start fresh. The GM of the store offered to buy it back and sell me a new one..the cost of that was cheaper considering what I owed on the car..combined with the cost of an engine and labor..so yeah..basically I am paying the same amount either way..but now I'll have a new car to start over with...so it will be a learning experience..but I am really afraid to get flashed...
you sir are very lucky. I guess I would've got a new X also then putting in a new motor. plus, you get the new car smell lol.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so from what i read is that ams tuned your lightly modded evo and it blew?
Old May 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
There is the slight possibilty that AMS put a stock rom in your ECU that has a different ID than your original one.

The Evo X came with the following ECU IDs in the US:

The majority of the Evo Xs that I have seen have the 52680017. Some have had the factory reflash done at the dealer and they get a sticker under the front passanger side of the hood with the 52680020 ECU ID.

It is possible that AMS flashed your car with the 52680020 rom but you did not have the sticker under the hood indicating that you have had that doen at the dealer. When the dealer read the ECU and found the 5268020 rom ID w/o a matching sticker they knew that your car has been flashed and voided your warranty.

That is one possibilty. Or there is indeed a flash counter in the ECU that tells the dealer how many times the ECU has been flashed.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wasnt it proven that there is no flash counter?

Quick Reply: CVN!? Tuners feel free to chime in..