Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Safe to drive untuned?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe to drive untuned?

I wanted to know if it would be safe for me to drive my car with the mods listed below, until I get it tuned?

AMS CAI
AMS Widemonth DP
AMS HFC
AP CBE
AMS Intercooler w/ UICP and LICP
AMS Fuel Rail
Walbro Fuel Pump
DW 800cc Injectors
ETS Tubular Manifold
Dom 2 Turbo

I asked because Im in Iraq right now. I ordered all these parts plus others including cams(Which will be installed right before the tune). When I get back to the great USA, I will be in NC where I plan to put all these parts on. It will be about a month before I get to go to PA on leave to see family and friends , which is when I will be going to see Sean Ivey for a tune. Im worried most about something going wrong the fuel upgrades and the turbo upgrade without a tune. Thanks in advice for the help and advice.

Ray
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
No.

injectors and turbo REALLY need to be tuned...
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

It may not even run right, but even worse you could blow something up, is there no where you could just have a base tune put on there, or an e-mailed tune to get you home?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

When I did a 20g with 850cc Injectors on my WRX the car wouldn't run until I reflashed the ecu.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:45 AM

Guess there is nothing else to say! Oh... Maybe you could fly sean down and have him tune it!

Thanks for your service!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also a warning. I just had mine tuned over the weekend with only the AMS short intake and dual exhaust, and my A/F ratios were in the mid 14s on the stock tune. The injectors change things a lot, but you have the potential to be running dangerously lean with the MAF housing change of the AMS intake.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

When I installed my FP Red and 1000cc injectors the car had trouble even idling before a tune.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Also a warning. I just had mine tuned over the weekend with only the AMS short intake and dual exhaust, and my A/F ratios were in the mid 14s on the stock tune. The injectors change things a lot, but you have the potential to be running dangerously lean with the MAF housing change of the AMS intake.
How on earth were you going from high 9's to mid 14's AFR with just an AMS short intake on the stock tune? On my Evo X it only leaned things out about .5 - 1.0 AFR and was fine until I got tuned. The AMS intake should only be leaning things out 5-10% tops, AMS can confirm.

The injectors are going to make his car run 20-25% richer assuming the stock injectors are 600cc. If the car runs at all it will be stumbling around very rich with fuel trims maxxed out trying to remove fuel in closed loop. The safer thing would be to at least scale the injectors and then keep it under 10-15 psi for the trip so you aren't drowning out the engine with excessive fuel. I have an AMS intake and use 665cc as my injector scaling value for DW 800cc injectors, here is a post I gave as a guideline to dial them in:

If you hook up your Boost source directly to the WGA you should only get a very conservative 18 psi of boost assuming a Forge WGA. Also be sure to verify your spark plug gaps aren't beyond .022" - .024" or you will start to have hessitation issues when cranking the boost past 24 psi which may have otherwise been fine on the stock turbo. If you tuned for the 800cc injectors and Walbro FP before installing the turbo, that should be plenty safe to drive the car to the tuner assuming you don't road race the car. If you haven't tuned for the injectors yet then try these settings to get you in the fuel trim ballpark for Deatschwerks 800cc injectors:

Fuel Injector Scaling: ( Lower settings relative to actual Injector size richens up idle and cruise LTFT's evenly, usually 15-20% lower is the range to be in)
665 cc/min (was good for my AMS Intake with 3" sensor housing)
to
680 cc/min
to
696 cc/min (likely better for Intakes using the stock 2.8" sensor housing)

Injector Battery Voltage Latency Compensation: (Raising these typically richens up Idle LTFT more than Cruise LTFT)
------------ Richer ----------------------------------------------------------- Leaner
4.69v ---- 6.120 -------------------------- 6.120 -------------------------- 6.120
7.04v ---- 6.120 -------------------------- 6.120 -------------------------- 5.904
9.38v ---- 3.384 -------------------------- 3.264 -------------------------- 3.048
11.73v -- 2.232 -------------------------- 2.136 -------------------------- 1.992
14.08v -- 1.632 -------------------------- 1.560 -------------------------- 1.464
16.42v -- 1.128 -------------------------- 1.104 -------------------------- 1.032
18.77v -- 0.816 -------------------------- 0.768 -------------------------- 0.744
LTFT = 0% Idle/2% Cruise ----- 5% Idle/3% Cruise ------------- ? Idle/cruise

My Idle LTFT is around 0% with this setup and cruise LTFT is hovering around 2% with the "Richer" settings that accomdate the AMS Intake with 3" sensor housing. These were EvoScan numbers and I found that they are about half the values reported in OBD2 programs so you want to be +-2.5% in Evoscan and +-5% in OBD2 LTFT's. I may dial back the voltage latency compensation slightly so that they both hover around 2% but it seems fine for now. Keep in mind that when you enter values that it rounds up or down to the nearest valid entry so fine tuning is limited slightly by what values it will accept.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 26, 2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hiboost
How on earth were you going from high 9's to mid 14's AFR with just an AMS short intake on the stock tune? On my Evo X it only leaned things out about .5 - 1.0 AFR and was fine until I got tuned. The AMS intake should only be leaning things out 5-10% tops, AMS can confirm.
No idea. I only have those two parts. A bunch of fuel was added, which eliminated all of the knock that was present down low, and ended up picking up 50hp or so at the top end. It was really bad.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice. I will have to wait to put the fuel and turbo upgrade on until I am able to get the car tuned.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Would it be safe to put on the Tubular Manifold, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, and Fuel Rail on and drive without getting tuned?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should really get it tuned. Will you be in Fort Bragg when you come home? There are a couple guys on the base who could tune you and make sure the car is safe. Then you could always take it to Ivey later down the road if you like.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

why cant you tune it. you got all those parts, you might as well just tune it, or put the stock parts on until you can tune it
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ilive2win
why cant you tune it. you got all those parts, you might as well just tune it, or put the stock parts on until you can tune it
The parts are not on yet. Im in Iraq right now, waiting until I get home to put them on. If I could tune it myself than I would.

Ill be at MCAS Cherry Point when I get home.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

RAY put everything but the injectors on and stay under 10 psi 0n the drive to IVey you will be fine
then have them pop them in (20 min) and get the tune

Quick Reply: Safe to drive untuned?