Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Best pump gas brand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:23 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
yep. BP e10/93 tuned to max performance, 0 knock. went across the road and got regular shell 93, knock the instant I went WOT every time
I was seeing something like this on the dyno, and I am in Tennessee too, so I'm sold to at least try it.

Thanks man.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petro-Canada 94 Octane, in Montreal only.
Sorry, just had to rub it in
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:36 AM

Chevron..

Petron..
Caltex...

Last edited by Evonemic; Aug 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

shell + bp
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I use Shell but have been wanting to use Chevron, anyone have experience with Chevron?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:44 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SupremeX
I posted the same site on page 2. Great minds think alike
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:59 PM

I make gas...

I work for a refining company and am an operator of the processes that distilles oil into gasoline. Generally most gasolines in an area are made by the same plant or refinery. (Whatever refinery is closest). Just cause it has a brand name on it doesn't mean that brand made the gas. At the terminal for the finished product the refiner adds the brands proprietary additive (like Chevron's Techron). That is when it becomes the "branded" gasoline. Most of these additives are simple detergents to make the gas burn cleaner and prevent carbon (soot) deposits etc to form on engine parts. These additives aren't really all that different from each other either.

Difference comes in at the tank farm where the different gasoline components are blended together to make the quality of fuel that blend is for. Sometimes it is done well other times, not so well. However, since all the stations in one area are generally getting there stock from the same supplier or refiner, the gas at all their stations is the same, except for the brand additive.

Obviously, a higher octane (93 vs. 91). is better. But, the Shell station 93 is the same gas as the Chevron station 93, except for shells nitrogen based additive, versus Chevron's Techron (detergent based).
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:00 AM

By the way...

I like Techron the best. (Chevron).
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to kansas this weekend on my local 93 octane BP gas station tune. on my way back I ran out of gas and had to stop at a shell again. I filled up on their 93 octane and immediately went from 0 knock to knocking as soon as I got into boost everytime. I'm giving up on that mess So now I have half a tank of that crap to burn. This particular gas station is about 40 minutes away from my local shell gas station that also sucks teh bawls.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OMEGA BLACK 79
I work for a refining company and am an operator of the processes that distilles oil into gasoline. Generally most gasolines in an area are made by the same plant or refinery. (Whatever refinery is closest). Just cause it has a brand name on it doesn't mean that brand made the gas. At the terminal for the finished product the refiner adds the brands proprietary additive (like Chevron's Techron). That is when it becomes the "branded" gasoline. Most of these additives are simple detergents to make the gas burn cleaner and prevent carbon (soot) deposits etc to form on engine parts. These additives aren't really all that different from each other either.

Difference comes in at the tank farm where the different gasoline components are blended together to make the quality of fuel that blend is for. Sometimes it is done well other times, not so well. However, since all the stations in one area are generally getting there stock from the same supplier or refiner, the gas at all their stations is the same, except for the brand additive.

Obviously, a higher octane (93 vs. 91). is better. But, the Shell station 93 is the same gas as the Chevron station 93, except for shells nitrogen based additive, versus Chevron's Techron (detergent based).
correct!

99% of it is dead dinosaurs and 1% is proprietary additives.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
I went to kansas this weekend on my local 93 octane BP gas station tune. on my way back I ran out of gas and had to stop at a shell again. I filled up on their 93 octane and immediately went from 0 knock to knocking as soon as I got into boost everytime. I'm giving up on that mess So now I have half a tank of that crap to burn. This particular gas station is about 40 minutes away from my local shell gas station that also sucks teh bawls.
Miniscule knock like 1-2 counts?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

shell
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Miniscule knock like 1-2 counts?
I wasn't logging but it tripped my SES light which is set to come on at 5 count above 150 load
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:40 PM

Husky 94

Quick Reply: Best pump gas brand