Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Cobb Stage 2 AP to Stage 1 AP something is acting up?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cobb Stage 2 AP to Stage 1 AP something is acting up?

Originally, I first loaded the car with Stage 2 off the shelf map on the AP to the car when my car had a test pipe, catback exhaust, and k&n drop-in. I use the HKS panel filter map as that is the closes to the K&N panel filter. The car ran fine with no rev hangs or high idle. But after I took the test pipe off and put the stock cat back on and revert back to Stage 1, the car started to feel funky. First I noticed on the Greddy Informeter that when I use to WOT the car I would be able to build up the injectors to full potential of 100% but today I tested out a couple of times on 3rd gear and the max I was able to get was 87% at redline. Is it because of the Cobb AP tune that doesn't allow the injectors to reach full potential or is it not needed to achieve the extra hp that i gained from the tune? Also, the idle bounced whenever I get off gear, like I'm going 3k on 4th gear and then get out of gear into neutral. I see the tach go down to 1.1k stop there for a little bit then slowly get down to idleing rpm around 700. It use to just drop straight down to 700 rpm with stage 2 or stock tune. One last funky thing is that when I rev the car, it rev hangs for 2-3 sec before dropping back to idle. Is the car running rich?

Side note: each time I reflashed I resetted the car battery for 10 mins not by choice but because I was wiring some stuff and didn't want to blow a fuse.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raytrix
Originally, I first loaded the car with Stage 2 off the shelf map on the AP to the car when my car had a test pipe, catback exhaust, and k&n drop-in. I use the HKS panel filter map as that is the closes to the K&N panel filter. The car ran fine with no rev hangs or high idle. But after I took the test pipe off and put the stock cat back on and revert back to Stage 1, the car started to feel funky. First I noticed on the Greddy Informeter that when I use to WOT the car I would be able to build up the injectors to full potential of 100% but today I tested out a couple of times on 3rd gear and the max I was able to get was 87% at redline. Is it because of the Cobb AP tune that doesn't allow the injectors to reach full potential or is it not needed to achieve the extra hp that i gained from the tune? Also, the idle bounced whenever I get off gear, like I'm going 3k on 4th gear and then get out of gear into neutral. I see the tach go down to 1.1k stop there for a little bit then slowly get down to idleing rpm around 700. It use to just drop straight down to 700 rpm with stage 2 or stock tune. One last funky thing is that when I rev the car, it rev hangs for 2-3 sec before dropping back to idle. Is the car running rich?

Side note: each time I reflashed I resetted the car battery for 10 mins not by choice but because I was wiring some stuff and didn't want to blow a fuse.

Cobb maps are not %100 accurate as they dont have the magical power to write maps for all the EVOs in the world. All cars are different. They also recommend fine tuning.

If you want to monitor your engine besides injector duty cycle, look at AFRs. But you must take it to a Cobb Tuner asap to avoid any engine damage.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:19 PM

Any knock retard?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I can't find the feature on the Cobb AP to log AFR. It's not listed in the device as I was check boxing the data I want to log.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by raytrix
I can't find the feature on the Cobb AP to log AFR. It's not listed in the device as I was check boxing the data I want to log.
You need to download the street tuner, go to their website, its under 'news' on the mainpage.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:04 AM

Did you replace the boost pill that was supposed to be removed for the stage 2 map?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Running the HKS filter map with the K&N might not be the best either. Unless you have a wideband to log the A/F ratio.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ Agreed. Even though both are drop-in filters, the K&N is way different than the HKS one.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

The car settle down after a week. Just remember guys, it takes 1 week for the ECU to learn your driving habbit. The car felt like it was running super rich and bloggy the whole time but after a week it felt faster and no more blogging or bounce. I never removed the boost pill on stage 2.