Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Plug and Play Cobb Wideband Sensor

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plug and Play Cobb Wideband Sensor

I'm not sure if this could work but it's an idea.. Having Cobb make a plug and play wideband senor. Youbasically unplug and remove the stock rear oxygen sensor. Install the Cobb plug and plug wideband sensor which is wired to plug right into the stock harness of the car. Update your Accessport software to be able to rear that rear sensor as a wideband. It would also delete the risk of getting a CEL for not having your catalytic converter. Anyone at Cobb wanna chime in on this?? Thanks!
Old May 28, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Or just use ECUflash and bam, they already have this
Old May 28, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the AP take in the 5volt signal that nearly every aftermarket wideband can output?
Old May 28, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
Can the AP take in the 5volt signal that nearly every aftermarket wideband can output?
The Stock ECU can...
Old May 28, 2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by twinturbogreg
I'm not sure if this could work but it's an idea.. Having Cobb make a plug and play wideband senor. Youbasically unplug and remove the stock rear oxygen sensor. Install the Cobb plug and plug wideband sensor which is wired to plug right into the stock harness of the car. Update your Accessport software to be able to rear that rear sensor as a wideband. It would also delete the risk of getting a CEL for not having your catalytic converter. Anyone at Cobb wanna chime in on this?? Thanks!

Probably a better solution is for the AP to flash the ECU so that it (the ECU) handles the wideband signals. I would guess most people don't run with the AP plugged in all the time. You should suggest this to COBB direcly on their website or via email, I know they solicited input from users a few weeks ago on how to improve their product and what people want to see.

On the positive side, I don't know of any cars running a flash from the AP that have punched a hole in the block yet. So, maybe COBB should focus their resources and attention on keeping it that way.
Old May 28, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
Probably a better solution is for the AP to flash the ECU so that it (the ECU) handles the wideband signals. I would guess most people don't run with the AP plugged in all the time. You should suggest this to COBB direcly on their website or via email, I know they solicited input from users a few weeks ago on how to improve their product and what people want to see.

On the positive side, I don't know of any cars running a flash from the AP that have punched a hole in the block yet. So, maybe COBB should focus their resources and attention on keeping it that way.

lol, what does that have to do with anything?

Of course the only way to monitor the wideband is to flash the ecu, and of course COBB will just take code from ECUflash stuff.

I still don't see how a hole in a block has anything to do with cobb vs. ecuflash...you ever think people making any noticeable power don't waste money on a piece of unnecessary hardware?
Old May 28, 2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by murlo26
I still don't see how a hole in a block has anything to do with cobb vs. ecuflash...you ever think people making any noticeable power don't waste money on a piece of unnecessary hardware?
Ever think that maybe the flash in your ECU could cause detonation which could cause rod failure?
Old May 28, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Ever think that maybe the flash in your ECU could cause detonation which could cause rod failure?
Obviously that could affect it...why the hell would that be ECUflash's fault and not my tuner's or mine for deciding to push my car that far.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:33 AM

Obviously that could affect it...why the hell would that be ECUflash's fault and not my tuner's or mine for deciding to push my car that far.
Obviously that had something to do with it. Or maybe the logic in the ECU misunderstood one of the MAP parameters becaue the Ecuflash reverse engineering did not completely understand the ECU software design.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Obviously that had something to do with it. Or maybe the logic in the ECU misunderstood one of the MAP parameters becaue the Ecuflash reverse engineering did not completely understand the ECU software design.
LOL, i was dyno tuned, everything was running perfectly on my car.

You are too big of a fan boy to talk to, lol. I never said cobb was bad, they have a decent product, but there is one that is just as good if not better for free. I swear all you Cobb guys just want to justify your $600 investment.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

LOL, i was dyno tuned, everything was running perfectly on my car.

You are too big of a fan boy to talk to, lol. I never said cobb was bad, they have a decent product, but there is one that is just as good if not better for free. I swear all you Cobb guys just want to justify your $600 investment.

Maybe we can get back to the topic the OP posted instead of making this another ECUflash VS Cobb AP thread?
Old May 28, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by c_reber

Maybe we can get back to the topic the OP posted instead of making this another ECUflash VS Cobb AP thread?
I didn't start this, the other guy did, so why quote me?

The question was answer in the first two posts.

Either contact Cobb for this as they will have to add code in their software to flash the ECU to do this if you want to use Cobb for it.

Otherwise the easy way out is use ECUflash which already incorporates this.

/thread
Old May 29, 2010, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Or just use ECUflash and bam, they already have this
I guess I should have quoted this post then, sorry (I actually meant to quote both, but I guess I don't know how to do that - and yours was the last post in the thread- didn't mead to pick on anyone in particular). I just figured the first reply was kind of the "start" of it.

But anyway I don't really care - since it really doesn't sound possible with the Cobb AP .
Old May 29, 2010, 02:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
I don't know if the AP is meant to be plugged in all the time.

But I leave my OP20 plugged in ALL the time. 8G flash card, so thats about 2 years worth of logs.

I also have jacked the rear02 signal (disabled the rear02 "sensor" in the "code") and am logging my wideband (LC1) 100% of the time...

It works great No laptop, no wires, no bulky controllers, just a small little dongle that plugs straight into the OBD port... whenever I am interested I pull the log using USB cable and analyis it in excel..
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Any updates on this?? Or has the AEM wideband been put in the Cobb AP software yet??

Quick Reply: Plug and Play Cobb Wideband Sensor