Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Should I sell my AP and just use the ECUtek stuff?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by murlo26
I think it's time for people to stop trying to use base maps on their cars

Instead of paying 600 for the AP...use that money on 2-3 tunes on a dyno...bam, way better results and safer.

Bam is the word. Please post a link here of any AP tuned engine that failed.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Instead of paying 600 for the AP...use that money on 2-3 tunes on a dyno...bam, way better results and safer.
Even the best tuners can make a mistake and a base map is made to be "safer", that's why they are OTS maps, they run a bit more rich and they come with strict instructions on what can and cannot be used, so when you say safer, I wouldn't always agree there.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Check this thread out. No tuning, just bolting on the parts and going.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ts-thread.html

I would recommend the Open Source software and Cable.

Michael
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
Bam is the word. Please post a link here of any AP tuned engine that failed.
So you honestly think that somehow ECUflash in itself has caused an engine failure...if that is the case you are down right retarded.

Show me a AP car that made enough power to break anything would be a better feat.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly....BAM! Throw away your money, go and pay to super diva tuner to make you 2 maps, that by the way, you need another amount of money to buy all the cables and software if you want to change them by your self. Or pay every visit to your pimp tuner every time that you need to reset your computer or adjust your map

Cobb does all these for you and more plus the software.
The day that you are bored of your car
BAM!!!
You get at less 75% of your money back
That’s a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:22 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by alex3dworld
Exactly....BAM! Throw away your money, go and pay to super diva tuner to make you 2 maps, that by the way, you need another amount of money to buy all the cables and software if you want to change them by your self. Or pay every visit to your pimp tuner every time that you need to reset your computer or adjust your map

Cobb does all these for you and more plus the software.
The day that you are bored of your car
BAM!!!
You get at less 75% of your money back
That’s a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two maps that you can toggle between with TephraMods very easily. My tuner charges under $300 for a dyno tune. Buy the cable and software for $185. Now you're at $485. Now you can do all the tuning you want on your own. Hrm... sounds cheaper than an AP. Crazy. And btw, there are a ton of free base maps all over this site and the "other" site to start out with if you want to do your own tuning.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

^I think you are trying to justify your poor purchase...all tuners and serious modder's use ECUflash, there are 10x more people using ECUflash because it is better.

AP works, but why the hell spend 600 bucks...I got my first tune for free....I have spent probably 600 on tuning total right now and i have over 200 dyno runs to dial my car in...sorry man, deal with it, the AP isn't better. My tuner makes changes for free as long as you don't need the dyno...not sure what tuners your dealing with, oh wait you don't have a tuner...right.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
^I think you are trying to justify your poor purchase...all tuners and serious modder's use ECUflash, there are 10x more people using ECUflash because it is better.
My thoughts exactly. I've seen AP guys do this over and over again.

AP works, but why the hell spend 600 bucks...I got my first tune for free....I have spent probably 600 on tuning total right now and i have over 200 dyno runs to dial my car in...sorry man, deal with it, the AP isn't better. My tuner makes changes for free as long as you don't need the dyno...not sure what tuners your dealing with, oh wait you don't have a tuner...right.
Even then, now with newest TephraMods you get even more features. Doesn't make sense why someone would want an AP to me. Costs a lot of money. Doesn't compare to the flexibility of EvoScan, it's a device that can break / malfunction, and the base tunes are fairly weak.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

You are preaching to the choir migs, haha, I just love how every AP owner gets so defensive...their arguments are just dumb...how many AP cars have blown a motor??? I mean come on, how does that have anything to do with your tuning method...tuner sure, method, no!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Two maps that you can toggle between with TephraMods very easily. My tuner charges under $300 for a dyno tune. Buy the cable and software for $185. Now you're at $485. Now you can do all the tuning you want on your own. Hrm... sounds cheaper than an AP. Crazy. And btw, there are a ton of free base maps all over this site and the "other" site to start out with if you want to do your own tuning.
you miss my last statement:
at the end, i can sell my AP and ask as much as 80% of what it cost me. pluss no one or two tunes but several tunes in two stages and constant revisions.

make the numbers again!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

the AP has it's advantages with ease of use, but the stock maps are very weak, I've tuned a few cars with their maps and it's way too rich with barely any timing added. It's a generic one size fits all cookie cutter tune. The AP made sense before ECUflash and Evoscan support for the X became available. But now you can get ecuflash, evoscan and cable for much less and open up the possibilities of having most any tuner help instead of being limited to very few.

http://www.mellontuning.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=18_44
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

You are preaching to the choir migs, haha, I just love how every AP owner gets so defensive...their arguments are just dumb...how many AP cars have blown a motor??? I mean come on, how does that have anything to do with your tuning method...tuner sure, method, no!
AP Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Free maps forever, self tuning,
No more painful appointments with the "tuner" rock start of your neighborhood, be careful how his "temper" is today and his tricky pulls to make you pay more and more and more
Get your money back when you get bored
Don’t throw your money

Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like I need to explain it for a 3rd time
Can you retrieve those 600 bucks in diva tuners and dynos back? no right?
I can, at the end of two years of several maps in two different stages and constant revisions from one of the best tuners in the country take my unit and sale it in $500

Money spent: $100

Do you get it now?

Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry man, you are throwing your money away for ****ty base tunes.

AP is perfect for you though, someone who thinks they are getting a good tune, sure it will run fine, but it leaves so much power left on the table.

You obviously don't appreciate what a custom tune can do for you, so continue to support AP that is fine.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
Looks like I need to explain it for a 3rd time
Can you retrieve those 600 bucks in diva tuners and dynos back? no right?
I can, at the end of two years of several maps in two different stages and constant revisions from one of the best tuners in the country take my unit and sale it in $500

Money spent: $100

Do you get it now?

Then you are left with no tune...because you unmarried your ECU.

Not to mention no one is going to spend 500 that is used and they can get something better for free. I think you overestimate what used ones go for. Even if I liked the AP i wouldn't pay more than 300 for it. And sure your tunes are from a reputable tuner, but they aren't for your car...so they still suck.

You can explain it all you want man, but you can't convince people who know what they are talking about. You fail to listen to anything any one says because you are an AP fanboi.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my AP and just use the ECUtek stuff?