Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Hard knock at start and soft through the gears.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard knock at start and soft through the gears.

Stock except k&n panel filter and Cobb ap.

Running the hks 91 octane (but with 93 fuel) Cobb mapp and my LTFT is fine.

I get about 1.8 to 2.4 knock retard on start. This could just be the mic reacting to the sound of start up. Then I get about .4 to .7 through most if the gears at near WOT.

Does any of this raise a flag, or am I ok?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone know about this stuff?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure about at start but .4-.7 count's is no big deal. Usually anything less than a 2 count is fine. Are you knocking all the way through the rpm band or only at certain rpms? Is it knocking at WOT or only at near WOT because those would be different loads
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The .4 and .7 I get too!! I have heard it is because of our noisy clutch and not engine knock!!! you should be fine. The start up is probably for the same reason. Not engine knock, but just the noise picked up from some other moving part!!! Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

There's a thread dedicated to this topic... Don't remember what it was titled.

Basically any knock at low load is the engines way of conserving fuel by pulling timing (don't quote me on this).

Now, if you were get a knock reading of 2.4 at WOT then you're in trouble.

At low RPM and low load I can see knock anywhere from .7 to 1.4 when I'm barely touching the gas just getting out onto a road or even moving through parking lots. In that same drive I'll go WOT in 2nd or 3rd and won't see any knock at all. It will remain at 0 all the way through redline. ---- this is off a cobb stage 1 93 oct 1.07 map.

If you get knock >1 (anything at WOT greater than .7 is dangerous in my eyes), you should really reconsider going WOT until you get a good tune.

Cobb released an "official" report on low load knock readings on this forum for the evo x.

hope this helps
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ApexSilverXGSR
There's a thread dedicated to this topic... Don't remember what it was titled.

Basically any knock at low load is the engines way of conserving fuel by pulling timing (don't quote me on this).

Now, if you were get a knock reading of 2.4 at WOT then you're in trouble.

At low RPM and low load I can see knock anywhere from .7 to 1.4 when I'm barely touching the gas just getting out onto a road or even moving through parking lots. In that same drive I'll go WOT in 2nd or 3rd and won't see any knock at all. It will remain at 0 all the way through redline. ---- this is off a cobb stage 1 93 oct 1.07 map.

If you get knock >1 (anything at WOT greater than .7 is dangerous in my eyes), you should really reconsider going WOT until you get a good tune.

Cobb released an "official" report on low load knock readings on this forum for the evo x.

hope this helps
cool yeah man i am going to dig a little deeper in the search to find that thread.

Update though, I think it may have been a combination of normal engine duties and bad gas. I was using the gas station on base to save cash, but i think they dilute (or whatever) their gas. I have used shell 93oct the last 3 fill ups, and used about 2-4 ounces of lucas fuel treatment/booster and have not had even .1 knock, in other words nothing.

I have a suspicion that the dealer put 87 octane in there to send me on my way, and I have had to work all that garbage out of the lines and what not. That coupled with the cheaper gas on base is what i think it was.