Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Progressively Worse Misfire; Need Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progressively Worse Misfire; Need Help

I have DW1300s running E85 with a Double Pumper and BBX. I have a misfire that is getting progressively worse. I thought it was the fuel trims being whacked out but now it's really bad and I've been running a MAP that ran very well just a week ago.

I pulled the injectors thinking they may be gunked up, but they were clean after 6 months on E85 only. I pulled the in-line fuel filter and nothing there. I pulled the plugs and they all look decent. I re-set the fuel trims on the ECU by puling the #2 fuse (7.5A).

The car is running so rough I don't think I should drive it. I keep getting P430 trouble codes. It sound like a Subaru boxer motor when you rev it slightly at idle and the whole car shakes.

I need to get work tomorrow and I can't figure out what to do. I thought about putting the stock injectors back in the car but I just filled the tank with E85 and I don't have a map for the stock injectors.

Any ideas? Bad injector???? Will it hurt to drive the car at cruise if one cylinder is running lean?

Thanks

Last edited by delkat; Dec 5, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by delkat
I have DW1300s running E85 with a Double Pumper and BBX. I have a misfire that is getting progressively worse. I thought it was the fuel trims being whacked out but now it's really bad and I've been running a MAP that ran very well just a week ago.

I pulled the injectors thinking they may be gunked up, but they were clean after 6 months on E85 only. I pulled the in-line fuel filter and nothing there. I pulled the plugs and they all look decent. I re-set the fuel trims on the ECU by puling the #2 fuse (7.5A).

The car is running so rough I don't think I should drive it. I keep getting P430 trouble codes. It sound like a Subaru boxer motor when you rev it slightly at idle and the whole car shakes.

I need to get work tomorrow and I can't figure out what to do. I thought about putting the stock injectors back in the car but I just filled the tank with E85 and I don't have a map for the stock injectors.

Any ideas? Bad injector????

Thanks
I can almost without doubt tell you its your 1300cc injectors. Your not the only person with this as an issue, little alone in the bay area. I know a few people that have been having just an awful time with DW's 1300cc injectors and there new or updated injectors in general. Really glad I never went to 1300's now little alone there changed or updated injectors (1000cc new version have been a hit or miss as well). I bet you find some first gen 1000cc's and retune for E-85 your misfire issues go away completely. Been thinking about going E-85 now, but if I do it will be doing FiC's 2150's with the double pumper. Do you still have your old 1000cc's?

Last edited by HR2L; Dec 5, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

What's your plug gap?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

What's your plug gap?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure the injectors are good. Don't drive it like that.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HR2L
I can almost without doubt tell you its your 1300cc injectors. Your not the only person with this as an issue, little alone in the bay area. I know a few people that have been having just an awful time with DW's 1300cc injectors and there new or updated injectors in general. Really glad I never went to 1300's now little alone there changed or updated injectors (1000cc new version have been a hit or miss as well). I bet you find some first gen 1000cc's and retune for E-85 your misfire issues go away completely. Been thinking about going E-85 now, but if I do it will be doing FiC's 2150's with the double pumper. Do you still have your old 1000cc's?
I really wish I had the old 1000s. I sold them as soon as I got the 1300s. Never had an issue with fuel trims on the 1000s. They were always rock solid.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GG_9_SE
What's your plug gap?
Plug gaps are fine. This just started happening over the past 1.5 days.

Is there a way to ohm out the injectors to see if they are good or do I have to send them back to DW?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Can you tell which cylinder is misfiring? If so switch injectors around to see if it makes a different cylinder misfire.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:44 PM

I had an identical problem to what you are experiencing and it turned out to be an injector/or plug and play adapters being bad. Had the injectors cleaned and new plug and play adapters installed and the problem was fixed.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GG_9_SE
Can you tell which cylinder is misfiring? If so switch injectors around to see if it makes a different cylinder misfire.
I can't tell which cylinder or if there are multiple cylinders. The car runs really rough if you just rev it lightly in neutral.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Im having similar problem as you are, my car would misfire really bad under very like throttle when you rev it up and i am also running DW1300 injectors. i'm kinda leaning towards the injector being bad?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 09:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by delkat
I can't tell which cylinder or if there are multiple cylinders. The car runs really rough if you just rev it lightly in neutral.
disconnect the injector power plugs one-by-one while the car is idling. if it turns out to be injectors and you have no near-term plans for major power upgrades, fic1100s are perfect for your setup. fic1680s would be next best.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Do what MRFred said. You can also try moving your coils around as well. However I would be surprised if it is not the injectors. Pull them out ASAP. It is not going to improve.

Money saved on injectors is not really money saved.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
STOP DRIVING IT!!!

Indy just lost a motor having almost the same syptoms you're describing and he was using Dw1300's as well.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
It was the injectors...

Quick Reply: Progressively Worse Misfire; Need Help