Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

noob... is tune a must?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob... is tune a must?

Ok, so ive been reading around on here and people are saying a few different things so instead of wondering why and searching through enough threads to feel like i am looking for the lost ark ill just come out and ask and take the hit for being knowledge handicapped...

stock 2011 gsr.... if i put on injen intake and uicp, and perrin turbo back exhaust is a tune a must have? and will it throw a cel until i get a tune. pretty much seeing if this all needs done at the same time or if i can drive around with it for a while problem free. until i find a tuner that i feel comfortable with. to me i sound stupid, ive come off a few modded cars and simple mods such as this did not require tunes but reading around i am seeing people go as far as to say an intake alone needs a tune? So make your jokes/flames but im guessing someone will answer me straight. thanks in advance!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

a tune is not necessary but but will help your stock map be not so lean. it will help but not needed.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Yep. Tune is not required, but is valuable. The vehicle will perform better in regards to power and fuel consumption.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

A MUST! Espcially if your changing the intake and exhaust. You're getting some breathing mods and without a tune its worthless IMO. Best bang for the buck mod that I've ever done on my car is the custom tune. I would even get a tune on a stock evo. Get A TUNE! You wont regret it. have fun modding.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by flipflop
A MUST! Espcially if your changing the intake and exhaust. You're getting some breathing mods and without a tune its worthless IMO. Best bang for the buck mod that I've ever done on my car is the custom tune. I would even get a tune on a stock evo. Get A TUNE! You wont regret it. have fun modding.
by far my favorite answer, i think due to the fact that for some reason your capitalized words made me read it with the shamwow guys voice and excitement.

thanks for the fast response guys.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are soooo many threads on this.... and now there is another that people like yourself have to look through. Please be conscious of other people's time as well and search.

The intake can throw off your fueling. Its been said 10000x, there are threads detailing tests and results.

You can *probably* go without a tune, but you won't be picking up much power anyway... so put on the other mods if you want and wait for the intake until you get a tune.

Alternatively, most of the power from an intake with little other mods comes from the fact that it leans the car out... so you can gain power because the factory tune is pig rich. If you want to try it and have a way to monitor knock then go for it... but almost all intake companies say right on their page that they don't recommend installing without a tune.

PS: IMHO Injen sucks.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by fostytou
There are soooo many threads on this.... and now there is another that people like yourself have to look through. Please be conscious of other people's time as well and search.

The intake can throw off your fueling. Its been said 10000x, there are threads detailing tests and results.

You can *probably* go without a tune, but you won't be picking up much power anyway... so put on the other mods if you want and wait for the intake until you get a tune.

Alternatively, most of the power from an intake with little other mods comes from the fact that it leans the car out... so you can gain power because the factory tune is pig rich. If you want to try it and have a way to monitor knock then go for it... but almost all intake companies say right on their page that they don't recommend installing without a tune.

PS: IMHO Injen sucks.

bamn the straight shooter i was waiting for....im following you on all you said, now can i waist another minute of your time to tell me why you feel injen sucks and what would you recommend and why?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:49 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by jsin0351
bamn the straight shooter i was waiting for....im following you on all you said, now can i waist another minute of your time to tell me why you feel injen sucks and what would you recommend and why?
The good: Heat shield, MAF adapter, AMSOIL EA filters (I think)

The bad: stock BOV location, little to no design / testing, made in china

They have stepped up their quality in the last 5 years or so, but their products can't match the quality of a shop like AMS or one of the other EvoM vendors (not a shameless plug, I promise I get nothing in return for saying that).

Depending on what method you plan to use to tune you should probably do a little more research before buying parts. If you plan to go with cobb AP then you will need to follow one of their mod paths to stay in-tune.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Def get tuned. Go to CBRD, they are in PA, not sure how close to your location but they will lead you in the right direction. Search them on here and you will see they are one of the best tuner shops around for evos and other cars. Lucky for you they are in state too. They can make good suggestions on what tuner parts to get for your application and even manufacture in house parts for Evos. There shop is spotless and work is great. Check them out!

Save you some time too.... : http://www.cbrdspeedfactory.com/

Last edited by Str8Pimp; Jul 26, 2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Yup, CBRD is a great option for you if they are close.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Well I gained 57whp/40wtq so I would say a tune is worth it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me know if we can be of assistance!

Out of the office this week- so Im a little slow to be able to respond- but I would be glad to help!

Cheers

CB
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

a tune on a turbo car is a must. on an n/a car, isnt really a must.

the only reason a tune on a turbo car is a must coz the intake upgrades leans out the AFR. too lean AFR means really hot engine.... and a really hot engine is prone to knocking and also detonation.

im new to the EVO X game but from what i read, the ECU compensates for this lean AFR and make the AFR rich again. im not too sure about that so if anyone can chime in and correct this statement, please do.

tuning will put you in the right AFR. turbo cars needs to be a little rich ratio to cool the engine down, but running rich has miniscule difference in temps especially if ambient is hot as well. the only real difference that you will see is the gas gauge going down really fast.

on N/A cars, tunes isnt really needed coz the AFR isnt really affected since it isnt "massive" like turbos force feeding the engine with lots of air. N/A cars rely on atmospheric pressure and the vacuum generated by the engine to "breathe". and this is amount of air going into N/A engines isnt anywhere near the capacity of a turbo.

the AFR difference made by an intake to an N/A engine is almost negligible thats why the horsepower gains to an N/A engine is very minute.....though a tune would help squeeze a lil bit more HP.

tuning a turbo car with just an intake will make a difference...like someone has said, they got 50whp from intake alone with a tune. running without a tune on an intake would still net around 15-20hp (my estimate might be wrong though).

and also, like others have said, tuning will make your add-ons worthwhile.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Most mods end up making the car run sort of rough until the car is tuned for the mods it has. For example, an aftermarket intake can make the car stumble, idle rough and even stall.

Not only that, but a good tune will maximize the benefits of all of the mods you do to the car. A tuned car will generally make more power and be more reliable.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Get a tune, don't be a Honda guy.

Quick Reply: noob... is tune a must?