Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AMS STX400 on an MR?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS STX400 on an MR?

Just got a '13 MR and researching tuning options.

AMS STX400 Looks really appealing!

Anyone running this? Does the flash include any SST tuning?
Old May 8, 2013, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

that can be done for less money and with better results
Old May 8, 2013, 08:47 AM

Turn-key?
Old May 8, 2013, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

You can buy all the parts separately and then get an e tune for way cheaper than $3700.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your interest in the STX400 package which is very popular for someone with a stock car looking for a turn-key package.

Here is a little explanation from our tuner Chris for our STX400 maps VS the Cobb OTS base maps:

The OTS maps are meant to be overly conservative and very safe. The Beta maps traditionally are too aggressive from what I have seen. Our custom maps are somewhere in-between but still safe. We can also review the datalogs from the car if there is a concern and adjust as necessary (not full custom tuning however). The target boost in our map is 25psi. The MR SST cars get special settings for the transmission not included in OTS maps. We also include better Mivec usage and closer to target AFRs than the OTS maps.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions on the package.
Old May 23, 2013, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I've also purchased a 2013 MR and am interested in this setup. I've heard of issues with the SST over 325 ft*lbs - have you guys had any trouble with this? Can it handle that much torque?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2013, 06:07 PM

I have the AMS stage 1& 2 kit along with their AP tune. which is what was offered before the new AMS STX400. I have this set up on a 2012 GSR. I have been happy since installing it. only recommendation is if you decided to go with the tial DV get the softer spring or you can change it later and order the grim speed 3port. good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

Last edited by AJevoX; May 23, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurboTJ
I've also purchased a 2013 MR and am interested in this setup. I've heard of issues with the SST over 325 ft*lbs - have you guys had any trouble with this? Can it handle that much torque?

Thanks!
Hey,

We have installed these packages on MR models with no issues of the clutches slipping or having shifting issues. We have seen a few cars start to have issues pushing more than 350+ft. lbs. of torque to the wheels.

Thanks
Old May 26, 2013, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

absolutely. If it says AMS on it, you can trust it.
I own a 2008 GSR and a 2013 MR, and I can tell you that the tuning support from Cobb for the 2013 is abysmal. It was only a matter of time until another powerhouse came in, took their "beta" stuff, and made it sing. Looks like it was AMS, and I'm not surprised.

OP: the dyno chart looks like it compares MAX flywheel hp/tq, not wheel hp/tq, which is how Mitsubishi rates as well. So it's not putting 410tq to the wheels, it's probably about 325wtq, which is absolutely safe for the SST.

I've had plenty of customers running AMS stuff for years, and myself, with no issues ever.

Last edited by ikt@evoxpod.com; May 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:16 PM

Hi.First hi to every body, i'm from Spain and sorry for my english :-).This is my first reply in the forum.I own a 2008 x MR and i would like to know more information about the STX400 combinated with the 600hp SSP 10 Clutches (torque, special settings for the transmission, benefits of the Grimmspeed 3 port solenoid). Appreciate all the information about it.

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TerciosMR
Hi.First hi to every body, i'm from Spain and sorry for my english :-).This is my first reply in the forum.I own a 2008 x MR and i would like to know more information about the STX400 combinated with the 600hp SSP 10 Clutches (torque, special settings for the transmission, benefits of the Grimmspeed 3 port solenoid). Appreciate all the information about it.

Thanks!
Hey bud,

I worked for SSP for a couple years prior to joining DSG. You don't need to go with the 600 clutches, the 500 will be more than enough (the 500 paired up with a new set of seals can hold quite a bit of power).

The AMS STX400 package is a really excellent turn-key package to avoid going through all the headaches of individually ordering all your parts and dealing with an e-tune.

Cheers,
Jason
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by DSG Performance
Hey bud,

I worked for SSP for a couple years prior to joining DSG. You don't need to go with the 600 clutches, the 500 will be more than enough (the 500 paired up with a new set of seals can hold quite a bit of power).

The AMS STX400 package is a really excellent turn-key package to avoid going through all the headaches of individually ordering all your parts and dealing with an e-tune.

Cheers,
Jason
Thanks.

The ssp kit is installed a few months ago. The clutches must be changed and I choose the ssp 600hp 10 disc and vitron seals, for strong and quick shift, and motul multi dctf oil. I would like to tune de sst too, not only the engine.

Regards.

PD:Recently I order in your shop an ams widemouth and 2 aem gauges. I was talking with Sean.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TerciosMR
Thanks.

The ssp kit is installed a few months ago. The clutches must be changed and I choose the ssp 600hp 10 disc and vitron seals, for strong and quick shift, and motul multi dctf oil. I would like to tune de sst too, not only the engine.

Regards.

PD:Recently I order in your shop an ams widemouth and 2 aem gauges. I was talking with Sean.
Oh nice! Thank you

AMS does include an SST tune (if you actually look above, in an older post they mention it).
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by DSG Performance
Oh nice! Thank you

AMS does include an SST tune (if you actually look above, in an older post they mention it).
Your welcome!

I read it but i don't know if the sst tune to 10 clutches is the same to 8 whitout difficults or it needs something more especific.

Regards.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:29 AM

One of the guys I work with has this on his Evo X MR. He has no complaints but eventually the power gets old and he wants more. Just like any other gear head.

Quick Reply: AMS STX400 on an MR?