Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

NJ Car inspection failed - Oxygen Sensors

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NJ Car inspection failed - Oxygen Sensors

Hello all -

I brought my car to get inspected in NJ this morning and it failed due to oxygen sensor "readiness". Here is a picture:

I reached out to Chad at CBRD to see if one of my o2 sensors are disabled on my Cobb tune and I'll have to wait until the middle of the week to find out. In the meantime, is there a "simple" way of determining if I have a bad o2 sensor, if one is disabled, or if perhaps I just didn't drive the car enough for the sensor to be in a ready state with a Cobb AP? I don't drive the car often and the inspection station is less than 5 miles away, so I guess it is possible the system didn't run all of its checks by the time I drove the car to the inspection station (I doubt this is the case though).

The car has the following mods:
1. CBRD Intercooler
2. ETS Quiet V2 CBE
3. ETS Intake
4. ETS HFC
5. CBRD BorgWarner RBX 7163 kit
Old Jul 13, 2018, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone? I'm still waiting to hear back from Chad but I'm tempted to consider looking at going to open source at this point and be able to force to OBD readiness via a patch.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 04:36 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I had the same problem after my car was tuned by Buschur. I flashed the "force readiness" stuff on the car and have been fine ever since. I think your o2 is turned off, it is not a mechanical hardware problem.

EDIT- wait- I realize you have a X. I have a IX.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
I had the same problem after my car was tuned by Buschur. I flashed the "force readiness" stuff on the car and have been fine ever since. I think your o2 is turned off, it is not a mechanical hardware problem.

EDIT- wait- I realize you have a X. I have a IX.
Still might be relevant. My problem is I'm tuned with a CobbAP. Therefore, I believe, I'm a bit limited as to what I can do from a OBD perspective. What tuning platform do you use?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 04:59 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mar387
Still might be relevant. My problem is I'm tuned with a CobbAP. Therefore, I believe, I'm a bit limited as to what I can do from a OBD perspective. What tuning platform do you use?
I use the open source stuff. I am a linux person and I hate the idea of using closed source hardware/software.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

As an update, Chad gave me an updated tune based off the one I was using. I applied the tune on Wednesday and drove about 50 miles in city, highway, etc. I'm happy to report that I was able to pass inspection today. This is likely due to now the Oxygen Sensor being in a ready state now. What's interesting is I ran several OBD scans prior to getting inspected and the Oxygen Sensors Heater was in an incomplete state as well as the Evap System.