Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

More help with EvoScan please...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More help with EvoScan please...

Hi All

I need help please - I'm a Switzerland based newbie with ECUFlash and EvoScan having used EcuTek in the past for Evo's and Scoobs up until around 2004. I now own a 2011 Evo X, and want to optimise it.

My car came with the latest Mitsu ROM file (56910011) which I have since bench flashed back to 5691009 which is the Euro ROM most used with the Evo X. My intention is to do the fuel pump (will fit today), hi-flow cat in mid section (done) and a 3 port solenoid, and then to tune.

Before I tune I want to baseline - I logged using EvoScan yesterday, and the results are not great (see end of this thread). It seems I need to enable Mode23 (using Merlin's excellent guide), which requires me to modify the stock ROM with specific values. I have not been able to find these values for the Euro 56910009 ROM file...but investigating today I realise latest version of ECUFlash, under misc section, has the Mode23 settings already, disabled in my ROM currently, but easily enabled. However, can anyone confirm these are the right settings for the 56910009 ROM;

I assume writing this back to my ECU, and then selecting the Mode23 ECU type from EvoScan before logging, will give me more sensible data?

Issue I had with original logs, and using Excel rather than EvoScan, were;
TPS: not reading correctly - increases with speed, but my foot was flat to floor
RPM: seems OK, bounced off limiter at 7500rpm
Speed: OK, in km/h
Air Temp: OK, in degrees F
Load: doesn't vary, sits around 473*
Boost: Seems to max out at 124.95, which it hits and maintains by 2k3 rpm on a 3rd gear power run

Thanks All! I feel I am slowly getting there

Richard
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:59 AM

Hmmm - frustrating day. I flashed the 56910009 ROM back to the ECU with Mode23 enabled. Then selected the Mode23 US/JDM/EU Evo X ECU type in EvoScan - it changed things, but still not right (TPS was at 98% whole time). So then tried a few of the other Euro related definitions in EvoScan, none worked correctly but all slightly different (ie: I was just checking TPS with ignition on at this stage, one even had 100% at mid throttle WOT ).

A friend had an old XML file from a wile back that I tried, and then got this error when launching EvoScan;

I think I need to search each XML EvoScan definition for the exact references in my ECUFlash ROM file after I had enabled Mode23? Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

I also tried fitting a pump kit I got from Indigo-GT in UK - no instructions came with it, and it looks like I need to chop up the original pump holder...need confirmed instructions before doing that I then removed the little 4mm filter from the pump return line (mine was perfectly clean), but also wanted to drill out the tiny hole to 2mm but could not work out how to remove the assembly wthout destroying it - drilling with it in place would risk plastic swarf from drilling remaining in there, no way!

If anyone has guidance on any of above, please shout out - I need help

Thanks, Richard
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Richard, care to upload your ROM here and let me have a look.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sub7
Hey Richard, care to upload your ROM here and let me have a look.
Sure sub7 - because you can help, or because you want a stock 56910009 ROM? I'm unable to load ROM SRF files here, so here's a link to a OneDrive shared file;

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlYTW6MUfoRxglQ1Mmk3o3QEPbg1

This is a stock 56910009 Euro Evo X ROM, with Mode23 enabled within ECUFlash Version 1.44.4799

Mods: I assume this is OK, if not let me know and I'll remove it.

Thanks, Richard
Old Mar 12, 2019, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

Got your rom, mode23 is enabled correctly. Did you try non-Golden ECU (eg: mode23 xxx below)?
Most of us prefer going to RAX Fast Logging road instead of mode23 as RAX standardize lots logging address.

Old Mar 12, 2019, 04:09 AM

Many thanks Sub7 - I thought I had checked the other non-Golden definitions from within EvoScan. I was just quickly swapping definition in EvoScan, then testing just the TPS. I can't remember if I was switching off ignition between each try, and do not think I exited EvoScan each time...but also didn't think I would need to? I try again.

Do you have more detail on RAX Fast Logging please? All I need is a basic set of logging that will enable me to check things as stock, then allows me to modify safely.

Thanks again, Richard
Old Mar 12, 2019, 04:20 AM

Just searched on RAX Logging a little - seems there is only a RAX enabled 56910007 ROM available, mine is a stock 56910009 which I would rather maintain. How do I manually modify a ROM to enable RAX?

Thanks, Richard
Old Mar 12, 2019, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Go with Rax patch v3, your ROM is tested.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...est-phase.html
Old Mar 27, 2019, 08:27 AM

Got to look at this today, and have hit further problems. The definition file for the 56910009 ROM that comes with current version of ECUFlash already has an include statement (<include>evo10base</include>) and it would appear only one can be referenced at a time (or I do not know the correct syntax for multiple "include" items...

This means if I put the RAX include statement (<include>RAX56910009</include>) before the evo10base it is ignored. If I put RAX after evo10base (see below) then I get all the RAX items, but all of the other items. So - what is correct syntax to "include" multiple definition files, or do I have merge the RAX specific items I want into the evo10base file?

Thanks, see below for what I mean, Richard

<romid>
<xmlid>56910009</xmlid>
<internalidaddress>5002a</internalidaddress>
<internalidhex>56910009</internalidhex>
<make>Mitsubishi</make>
<market>EDM</market>
<model>Lancer</model>
<submodel>Evolution X</submodel>
<transmission>5MT</transmission>
<year>2011</year>
<flashmethod>mitsucan</flashmethod>
<memmodel>M32186F8</memmodel>
<checksummodule>mitsucan</checksummodule>
</romid>

<include>evo10base</include>
<include>RAX56910009</include>

<notes>2014/05/01 [Tactrix] Original file from Golden Evo repository. If this file is useful to you, please consider donating at http://goldenevo.com/
2014/05/01 [Tactrix] Moved most non-address attributes to evoxbase.xml base class. Standardized file naming.
2014/05/01 [Tactrix] Visually examined tables for obvious errors, but no in-car verification has been done.
2014/05/20 [Tactrix] Tactrix definition auto cleaned merged w/ GoldenEvoMay2014.
</notes>
Old Mar 27, 2019, 09:02 AM

Yay - I seem to have got it working - I simply moved the RAX "include" tag into the evo10base XML

Only thing I'm not sure of now is do I need to enable Mode23 and RAX logging, or just the RAX logging items?

Time to test!

Richard
Old Mar 27, 2019, 09:54 AM

Damn - still not working with just RAX v3 logging enabled in EvoScan - it just displays static & incorrect data - for example, TPS is stuck at 13 degrees - at least on some of the mode23 some of the values were variable. With RAX they are all static. Something very weird.

I guess I should try with both mode23 and RAX enabled, but I am losing the will to live at this stage

What is weird is that latest ECUFlash comes with Mode23 options already available to enable/disable when I open any ROM - could this be interfering with RAX? Does anyone have earlier versions on the XML definition files without Mode23 there?

Think I'll post a question on the main RAX thread.

Thanks, Richard
Old Apr 2, 2019, 05:55 AM

OK, so I'm an idiot - I had only been trying the Euro model definitions within EvoScan - "Golden 2011 USDM v2 EVOX", with just Mode23 enabled in my ROM, and everything looks sensible...

So, I replaced pump and 3 port solenoid (hi-flow cat already done) and throw on a map a good friend spent ages on when he had a car with similar mods. It's so good I don't see there being a lot more for me to do

Outstanding question still is though, does RAX v3 need to have Mode23 enabled or not within the ROM to work? I'd at least like to compare RAX with Mode23, although Mode23 is entirely fit for purpose.

Thanks, Richard