Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Tests EVO X Cams

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:13 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Tests EVO X Cams

Well I just took some measurments on the stock X cams. As most of you know these are direct acting cam on bucket design.

Intake Lift: .382" or 9.7mm
Exhaust Lift: .339" or 8.6mm

Looks like the exhaust cam lift curve is following the trend of the exhaust ports on the head, smaller lift and duration compared to the intake. I'll compare it to stock VIII cams and i'll discuss some differences Monday but for now looks like the I/E ratio is down compared to the evo VIII/IX.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, a lot of tests that I have read have actually shown larger gains from having a larger intake to exhaust valve diameter ratio, but perhaps with the cams being designed around this as well shows that although the head may be perfectly designed for big power, the cams are too conservative on the exhaust side to make big power. The car sure seems to be making beastly numbers, though. More power mod for mod than the 9, why do you think that is?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
one factor, i think one more advanced cam/exhaust/.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Dual MIVEC to take full advantage of WHATEVER size the exhaust cam is, higher compression, and what other people said...
Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:48 PM
Account Disabled

Cams are a nerve racking mod for me...

Is there anyway to tell if the Cams have been changed if you were a mitsu parts guy?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

^ who cares? Something as simple as an exhaust system can be reason to deny warranty work. I had a clutch replacement on my sti because the stock unit was slipping, and they wouldn't cover it because the car had an exhaust, and they claimed that the extra power caused the failure. The magnuson moss warranty act should've helped me get coverage, but dealerships are all corrupt. Bastards...
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^ who cares? Something as simple as an exhaust system can be reason to deny warranty work. I had a clutch replacement on my sti because the stock unit was slipping, and they wouldn't cover it because the car had an exhaust, and they claimed that the extra power caused the failure. The magnuson moss warranty act should've helped me get coverage, but dealerships are all corrupt. Bastards...
You should really get to know a few service managers sometime. They actually want to do the work on your car...they bill the manufacturer for it. The problem is that with STI's and Evo's (as well as many other vehicles) they have to send pictures and troubleshoot the issues over the phone with the manufacturers, and if they can't prove that its all OEM stuff, then they can't warranty the repair.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Damn AMS... lol, you guys quick bout everything... can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:35 AM
Account Disabled

Yup, but I meant it like could I go back to stock and remain un-detected that there were ever any aftermarket Cams in there.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

If you're truly worried about your warranty, then you probably shouldn't mod your car. Or at the least like someone else said, get on a first name basis with the service people. Mitsubishi is notorious for voiding warranties for basically anything.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

AMS should we expect big gains with cam upgrades? I know that mivec on both sides will take away a lot of thunder power wise, but it would be nice if we get like 10~15hp and near perfect idle
Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

More power mod for mod than the 9, why do you think that is?
Please, someone let me know if I'm wrong, but it seems as if the X makes more power because the starting awhp was lower than the VIII and IX.

From what I've read the X stock awhp is around 215 and I know my IX stock awhp is 259.

So yes when you start at 215 and hit 300 with few mods 85hp is a bigger gain compared to the IX that can make 300 with the same mods but it's gain is only 40hp or so.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meltdown
Please, someone let me know if I'm wrong, but it seems as if the X makes more power because the starting awhp was lower than the VIII and IX.

From what I've read the X stock awhp is around 215 and I know my IX stock awhp is 259.

So yes when you start at 215 and hit 300 with few mods 85hp is a bigger gain compared to the IX that can make 300 with the same mods but it's gain is only 40hp or so.
Yea, 215-225 is really really low. That car should've put up at least 260whp stock.

I've noticed that the biggest gains from ALL tuners seem to be leaning out the mixture with intake and boost controller. Each piece of mod from then on (i.e. catback to midpipe to intercooler) seems to net the same increase in whp as other turbo cars.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Mod for mod the X is supposed to be making more power. At 22/23 psi from the factory running pig rich and only making 225 to the wheels, I would be very upset to have that much boost for a little over 200 whp.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I've noticed that the biggest gains from ALL tuners seem to be leaning out the mixture with intake and boost controller. Each piece of mod from then on (i.e. catback to midpipe to intercooler) seems to net the same increase in whp as other turbo cars.
Bingo! Mitsu cars run very rich from facorty. My AFR dropped off the sheet on my dyno. Well below 10. I believe AMS said the same about the X origionaly, I just can't find that post at the moment.