Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Twin Tip Decision... we made our choice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unique idea for sure. Althuogh the idea of a hidden muffler is the best imo...
Old Mar 1, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow that so cool !! video clips needed!!!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

that what you guys should make

now that perfect

Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
I'll be honest, I like the look of dual exhaust but would not take a loss of power for it. Just try to offer something along the lines of this sometime in the future.

Mabye even a bullet muffler (or 2) in there, if you need to. If you are really intrested in the "tunable exhaust" idea, go check out how the "tunable exhaust" optioned worked on the mid 1990's 3000gt SL/VR-4's.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys, Keep the feedback coming. so far this looks like we might have to run with this only changing a few things.

more feedback....MOOOORE lol. We want to make you guys the best system possible

Eric
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I really like the idea of burnt tips as well, I just love the look of them. From your prototype pics it seems like it wouldnt be hard to offer an option to have 2 ti tips with a burnt finish.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Won't the exhaust get confused and not know where to go? 8->
Old Mar 1, 2008, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
The System is pretty unique in design the passenger tip actually has a three bolt flange in place that allows for one of 5 different plates to adjust sound.

I want to recognize Ivan here at the shop for coming up with this pretty unique idea.
Um...this is not a unique idea. Borla invented this design over 10 years ago for the dual tip/transverse muffler 1993-2002 Camaros/Firebirds. I know I bought one in 1997 and I still have several friends with them as well. In fact, it's still for sale today with the same assortment of block off plates and everything:

http://borla.com/applications/lookup..._System/14780/

Better check the patents that Borla has on file...

p.s. Regarding post #23, adding an electric cutout is nothing new for the Borla f-body catback. That is a standard addition that many f-body owners have done.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Word^
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

i like the idea
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi
It was already stated that there is No Loss in Power.
Thats great, but you simply cannot go through life taking someones word on everything. I clearly see a 90 degree bend. Simply because they suffered no loss of power doesnt mean that at a higher hp-range you will not suffer one.

I would prefer a simple Y pipe with the option of different mufflers much like the AMS 8 and 9 exhaust systems. Simple and efficient is proven to perform. I like the idea of a V-band clamp Muffler and Cat, that could be swapped with other styles or straight pipes. When I purchase an exhaust I want to know it will be efficient to a high horsepower. Imagine if all of the 1000hp CT9A's had a 90 degree bend and an exhaust restricting curvy muffler? Think they would still put out the same HP? I dont believe so.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:40 PM

Ahhh yeah....

Originally Posted by CanadianTSi
It was already stated that there is No Loss in Power.
Yep...no loss. Cool? Kinda new here, and i've herd nothing but good opinions from other AMS consumers. But something bothers me about this system.... Not that it would matter much... But it looks like on pipe runs straight threw and the other runs through muff...??? How's this thing really work... Not knocking ya, just confused????
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Um...this is not a unique idea. Borla invented this design over 10 years ago for the dual tip/transverse muffler 1993-2002 Camaros/Firebirds. I know I bought one in 1997 and I still have several friends with them as well. In fact, it's still for sale today with the same assortment of block off plates and everything:

http://borla.com/applications/lookup..._System/14780/

Better check the patents that Borla has on file...

p.s. Regarding post #23, adding an electric cutout is nothing new for the Borla f-body catback. That is a standard addition that many f-body owners have done.
While we are not denying the fact that this type of system has been used on other platforms, it is UNIQUE to an Evo AFAIK.

We do appreciate you providing an example of the validity of this system.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Thats great, but you simply cannot go through life taking someones word on everything. I clearly see a 90 degree bend. Simply because they suffered no loss of power doesnt mean that at a higher hp-range you will not suffer one.

I would prefer a simple Y pipe with the option of different mufflers much like the AMS 8 and 9 exhaust systems. Simple and efficient is proven to perform. I like the idea of a V-band clamp Muffler and Cat, that could be swapped with other styles or straight pipes. When I purchase an exhaust I want to know it will be efficient to a high horsepower. Imagine if all of the 1000hp CT9A's had a 90 degree bend and an exhaust restricting curvy muffler? Think they would still put out the same HP? I dont believe so.
While there is a 90 degree bend (two to be exact) on the muffled side, the non muffled side is about as straight as can be. From a power production standpoint, it should be much less restrictive than any Yd pipe with two mufflers, any single muffler system that is Yd past the muffler. Basically you have a straight 3" pipe from the downpipe to the exhaust tip. In addition, you also have a second outlet for exhaust on the muffled side. It would make sense that this system would outflow our single system.

In addition to the flow potential over any other X system I have seen so far, it should weigh less than any other dual tip system.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

If you are really intrested in the "tunable exhaust" idea, go check out how the "tunable exhaust" optioned worked on the mid 1990's 3000gt SL/VR-4's.
Funny you should say that. I completely cut apart a 3kgt VR4 exhaust just before building this system. The system uses an electric throttle body in the exhaust system which corrodes and locks up (like the one I cut apart was) which we did not want in our system.

Our system is ultra simple in design and function and can never fail to operate.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 04:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec240
While we are not denying the fact that this type of system has been used on other platforms, it is UNIQUE to an Evo AFAIK.

We do appreciate you providing an example of the validity of this system.
I've never seen this design marketed by anyone other than Borla. Are there other companies selling it as a production piece (as opposed to one-off exhaust shop versions)?

I was quite serious about suggesting that Borla may have a patent for the twin tip/cutout/transverse muffler design, and if they do they would have been fools to make it platform-specific.

Quick Reply: AMS Twin Tip Decision... we made our choice