Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any issues with an air filter messing with A/F ratios?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any issues with an air filter messing with A/F ratios?

I'm about to order the Works drop-in. Thanks!

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=501
Old Mar 3, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I ordered it anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 07:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
We made almost 9whp with this filter on a Dyno Dynamics this weekend. The AFR remains pig rich and off the charts. I'll post graphs later when I have a digicam in hand.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Well, I ordered it anyway.
Let us know how it works out. I like this idea more than the cone filter replacement in the HOWTOs.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
We made almost 9whp with this filter on a Dyno Dynamics this weekend. The AFR remains pig rich and off the charts. I'll post graphs later when I have a digicam in hand.
With this filter, can you hear the BOV sound?

I like my car quiet without the BOV sound.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

This is what I wanted to hear.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 08:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by ArchieBabes
With this filter, can you hear the BOV sound?

I like my car quiet without the BOV sound.
Almost none at all. Its only marginally louder than stock. It is a good mod.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to works, their filter nets about a 15-18 hp increase of peak power, but at redline there is like a 38 hp increase due to leaning out the richest part of the power band, and due to the fact that boost tapers a little less. Now these gains are on a dyna pack, which is a much higher reading dyno than a dyno dynamics, but what I'm wondering about is the gains at redline more than peak increase. Noize, did you see a chunk of power like this at redline as well?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
According to works, their filter nets about a 15-18 hp increase of peak power, but at redline there is like a 38 hp increase due to leaning out the richest part of the power band, and due to the fact that boost tapers a little less. Now these gains are on a dyna pack, which is a much higher reading dyno than a dyno dynamics, but what I'm wondering about is the gains at redline more than peak increase. Noize, did you see a chunk of power like this at redline as well?
Hey man,

My digicam is at home, but I will upload pics later to better explain what I am talking about.

I did the filter first, and the largest gain was like 8.5whp, right at 5000rpm. From 4800 to the rev limiter, it made at least 6whp globally, except for a couple of tiny spots.

Next, I put in a Hallman MBC. My car stock boosted to just over 21psi for an instant, then puked to 12.x psi at the rev limiter. The Hallman tapers substantially less. I set it to what stock boost is supposed to be (just at 23psi for an instant), and it tapers to 17psi at the limiter, just at 18psi at redline. This made this chunk of power for me that you are referring to, not the filter. Its actually quite silly, its making just under 240whp until 6800, where it shoots up to 260whp between 6800 and the rev limiter. It makes the car feel like an S2000.

My theory on this is that the car is still so rich that the engine is breaking up. There is not a hint of detonation, but until I can get control of the fueling, the car will not make power at all. I think with leaning it out and some timing tweaks, this car will pick up substantially. I have a Vishnu PROcede on my want list, and am waiting on the harness to come out. I have never seen a stock car that needs mapping as badly as this car does.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 05:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
So a bit less than their 27whp claims eh?

Old Mar 3, 2008, 05:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by razorlab
So a bit less than their 27whp claims eh?

Every car is a little different. That's also a Dynapak, reads a lot different than the dyno I use.

I was really happy with the gain and am happy I bought the filter!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Silly me I thought delta gains where delta gains...
Old Mar 3, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Works filter and it seems to have cleaned up the top end. My car used to buck and jump sporatically at the top end. I think that's what Works showed on the Dyna Pak when they saw a 50 hp spike (negative) before redline. This dyno is extremely sensitive since there is not a lot of rotational mass masking transients (no drums turning, wheels, tires, etc.). I doubt if you could see the severity of these high RPM spikes on other dyno's.

The theory is that the stock filter/airbox system is the same as the regular Lance and is air flow restricting at high RPM's. Getting rid of this restriction is probably not a bad place to start the mod process.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by delkat
I think that's what Works showed on the Dyna Pak when they saw a 50 hp spike (negative) before redline. This dyno is extremely sensitive since there is not a lot of rotational mass masking transients (no drums turning, wheels, tires, etc.). I doubt if you could see the severity of these high RPM spikes on other dyno's.
We see these fluctuations on a Mustang Dyno as well with big rollers and the wheels and tires still on the vehicle:

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 3, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:37 AM
Account Disabled

The filter helps lean out the AFR (although it's still plenty rich) and the "spike" in boost in the upper RPMs that we've seen on the dyno. Everyone we've heard back from confirms that it smooths out the high RPM hiccup that's encountered on the street. The following graphs represent baseline runs of a 100% stock EVO X and then the addition of the WORKS Air Filter and StealthWORKS muffler. So, it's not a filter alone, but the AFR and boost curves are representative of what we see by swapping filters back and forth.