Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought mine also with 6 miles on it. Have to say this is the worst car ive ever owned as far as shifting. I took the salesman out for a drive and his jaw dropped. Its so loud and grindy, all gears. I have an appt on tuesday for service to check it out. If this is as good as it gets im gonna try and lemmon law this thing. I hope not cause love this car but its embarssing as ****. All my passengers notice. My wife thought she was doing something wrong and dosent like to drive it for fear of breaking something. And yes I know how to drive stick, have been for almost 20 years.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GSR G
Just bought mine also with 6 miles on it. Have to say this is the worst car ive ever owned as far as shifting. I took the salesman out for a drive and his jaw dropped. Its so loud and grindy, all gears. I have an appt on tuesday for service to check it out. If this is as good as it gets im gonna try and lemmon law this thing. I hope not cause love this car but its embarssing as ****. All my passengers notice. My wife thought she was doing something wrong and dosent like to drive it for fear of breaking something. And yes I know how to drive stick, have been for almost 20 years.
Did you read through this thread? Do you see the poll up top? This is how the GSR behaves. There is nothing to fix. Trust me, I was surprised at first too. But with a few modifications, it can get much better.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:46 AM

Theirs no way this is normal. It sounds like complete ****. Even the salesman was in shock when I took it back and drove him around. It's getting worse everyday not better. I shouldn't have to modify my new 40k car to make it right. I'm sorry but I'm not putting up with it. I will take it to service once a week until they fix it or lemon law it. I've never been so disappointed in a new car.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

^ Shift it a 5k and it will be butter smooth. The car was not designed to be driven like a grandma. I'm not saying your particular car doesn't have a problem, it could have something, but the notchiness is present in about all X there is.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

+1

Well said. I know it's disappointing in a $40k car. I felt like that for a bit too. But then you have to think about what kind of car you bought. It's not a 3-series, it's a freakin' Evo. It slices, it dices, and it puts a grin on your face every time you drive it. Girls flock to the spoiler and people don't let you merge over on the highway because you're automatically assumed to be a douche. I love it

Originally Posted by Answer_1
^ Shift it a 5k and it will be butter smooth. The car was not designed to be driven like a grandma. I'm not saying your particular car doesn't have a problem, it could have something, but the notchiness is present in about all X there is.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:48 AM

many high performance cars have notchy shifting during slow cruise. I know this because ive driven and owned many of them. But all had smooth winchester rifle like shifting when abused. Example ive given is cobras with tremec trans. You need all your strength to shift it in and out and they clunk all day. But when you abuse the heck out of them they will just just and go. Another example is my track day mr2. Original tranny at 190k miles now and long hard abuse everytime the cars on. Have very notchy shifting and hard to get down shifted at times. Different oils help but the characteristics of the trans is still there so i just got in the habit of matching the rev certain way when running in high rpm. But still no grinding syncros or any issue. Just to show notchyness does not always translates to damaged trans.
Now if it clunks and grinds when shifting in redline and gear popping out of gears, than you should start worrying about your 40k car.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:51 PM

Yeah after getting mad about the car being notchy.... I realized it was only like that if I was driving like a poodle. Once you drive the car the way it was meant to be driven, it's a whole other animal. The gears fall right into place, no grinds, no sticking, it's just very smooth.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Exactly

Seriously, though, aftermarket shifter/cable/gate selector bushings make a huge difference. My car was very notchy into 2nd and 3rd, but it's not a problem at all. In fact, I think it's getting better and better every day. Maybe it's also part of the breakin (I hope), but everything feels nice and tight now.

Originally Posted by Apex_Kurt
Yeah after getting mad about the car being notchy.... I realized it was only like that if I was driving like a poodle. Once you drive the car the way it was meant to be driven, it's a whole other animal. The gears fall right into place, no grinds, no sticking, it's just very smooth.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Metal
Exactly

Seriously, though, aftermarket shifter/cable/gate selector bushings make a huge difference. My car was very notchy into 2nd and 3rd, but it's not a problem at all. In fact, I think it's getting better and better every day. Maybe it's also part of the breakin (I hope), but everything feels nice and tight now.
I'm sure it's part of breakin, mine was very notchy first 5k, then one day it all disappeared, i didnt do anything differently, didnt resort to the high revs etc for smooth shifts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:43 PM

The notchy feel I can get over. Thats not my complaint. It has a very loud grinding sound. It got louder every day to the point where I dropped it of in service on saterday even though i have an app. on tuesday. Are Your guys cars real loud also? Im talking passengers here it over the radio loud? If they say its normal then for peace of mind I will Film it shifting for you guys to see if yours is the same. I dont drive like a grandma but I also dont drag race to work everyday and night. If this is how the car acts then they should disclose this befor sale(like I said it wasent this bad day one). Ive driven many high performance cars (camaro SS,Corvette ZO6, Viper, Porshe, and a couple STI's plus many others)and nothing sounded like this.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not going to lie, my SRT-4 & my STi shifted WAY smoother than my X does lol I drove a friends car with a works short throw with the shift bushings and it was a night and day difference. Without a doubt, going to be my next mod.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

If it is as loud as you describe, that doesn't really sound normal. The notchiness I have/had is felt in the shifter, can be heard a little bit with the radio off, but overall isn't loud. So, you may be experiencing other problems unfortunately.

The notchy feel I can get over. Thats not my complaint. It has a very loud grinding sound. It got louder every day to the point where I dropped it of in service on saterday even though i have an app. on tuesday. Are Your guys cars real loud also? Im talking passengers here it over the radio loud? If they say its normal then for peace of mind I will Film it shifting for you guys to see if yours is the same. I dont drive like a grandma but I also dont drag race to work everyday and night. If this is how the car acts then they should disclose this befor sale(like I said it wasent this bad day one). Ive driven many high performance cars (camaro SS,Corvette ZO6, Viper, Porshe, and a couple STI's plus many others)and nothing sounded like this.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:18 AM

Can you get the video if its not too much trouble?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:20 AM

Dandbest, I understand your anger fully, I was the exact same way, bought mine brand new, the notchy/grinding crap started and just went around yelling at everyone after my first visit and they tried telling me this was normal.

BUT!!!!! At the same time calling mitsubishi a ****ty company, well I guess thats kinda warranted but the transmission is supposedly pretty solid. Im still in the process of researching, but yea so far from everything Ive found, its a strong, some would say almost a "race" transmission.

My thing is this, I can not find ANYONE that has actually had a failure from this issue. My biggest fear is this notchy/grinding crap wearing down stuff in the tranny, but doesnt seem to be happening from what I can see.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Uh seriously? You guys are still *****ing about this? The stock GSR tranny can take ridiculous amounts of power, so I'd expect it to be a little iffy for normal shifting. Plus, change your tranny fluid and you'll be all good...

Quick Reply: The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread