Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my X with 12miles on it and it was notchy as hell but had no grinding at all and started getting smoother around 1000miles.I have 2k on it now and its finally starting to loosen up and shift like butter.I always rev match when i downshift.I realize the quicker i shift the less notchy it feels.I heard changing the factory fluids to redline can make a big difference.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by fenixz
Just reading through this. I had a 2011 WRX and no grinding/scraping with any gears. My bro has 2011 mustang gt 6 speed, no grinding/scraping. My 2014 evo x grinds towards the 3rd gear and reverse is a pia sometimes. I'm guessing nobody brought this to the dealer and to have checked??
Let me know if the dealer admits its notchy
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:33 PM

Got my 08 evo 2 weeks ago, and I found that the shifter is very notchy from about 1st - 3rd.
Also, reverse is sometimes very painful to get into. I tried going from 1st to 3rd and then into reverse, but sometimes i still won't go in. It probably looks like in a "noob" activating and deactivating my reverse lights lol.

I also added a weighted shift knob with a 4" extender to get more leverage, but still hasn't fixed the problem.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 05:37 PM

Last weekend bought a '14 with 11 miles on it. Noticed a little notchy on test drive 1-2, 2-3. Having 400 miles so far, its still the same. The 1-2 is the worse. While driving normal (still breaking in), it has slight grind if shifting too fast but pops right in if I wait a second or two. The 2-3 shift is 50% better. No real issues with the other gears. Thinking of taking it to a dealer, or changing out fluids to Redline.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:35 AM

Last weekend bought a '14 with 11 miles on it. Noticed a little notchy on test drive 1-2, 2-3. Having 400 miles so far, its still the same. The 1-2 is the worse. While driving normal (still breaking in), it has slight grind if shifting too fast but pops right in if I wait a second or two. The 2-3 shift is 50% better. No real issues with the other gears. Thinking of taking it to a dealer, or changing out fluids to Redline.

Give your car bought 1000 more miles to see how it is.But changing it to redline will def help to make it smoother lol
Old Sep 27, 2013, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't pick one. Mine is notchy if I take it easy. If I try to shift quickly at lower RPMs; notchy.

If I drive mine more aggressively and rev to higher RPMs, notchiness is gone.

NOTE: The mechanic in the shop I talk to, says this is normal. He works on a lot of Evos.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by surefooted
Hey guys,

My Evo only has 700 miles on it, but the notchy/grinding from 1-3 is really bad. Should I take it in? What should I expect from the dealer?
At 1700 miles now. The grinding from 2nd to 3rd is annoying and not getting better. I'm still having trouble shifting to first and reverse. It's going to the dealership in the morning.
At 4500 miles took it back to the dealer again and they agreed something was wrong. Waiting for district manager to approve replacing the transmission. I'm selling it immediately after being fixed. Sucks. Put a bad taste for Evos in my mouth.
Fast forward into the future...

ok, so I after getting a dealer and an independent shop to verify I had a tranny issue, I still had to get a lawyer and go to arbitration where Mitsu FINALLY agreed to replace my Tranny. They ended up replacing the transmission, clutch, master/slave cylinder and some other things. All at 4900 miles...

This process pissed me off so much I sold the car and will never buy another Mitsu product again.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:14 PM

I tried the redline cocktail + a 490 knob,
It does help a lot, I think the 490 knob helps the most.
I had this combo for 4 days now, no more cold start grinds etc.
however I dont know if the 490 will wear out the tranny since it just slams it into gear
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

I had a short shifter/base/cable bushings put in. I do notice that it is not as bad, but is still there when cold...no questions.

I also hate how you "hear" when the shifter goes into third. Overall not bad....but still wish it could be cleaner......debating on a weighted shift knob now.......

As stated before, it is how you shift.......
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:25 PM

Ditto on my 2010 Evo X GSR... Notchy and gotta give it a solid push..
Sometimes i'll double clutch to see if i can get a little more pressure to the clutch cylinder to help..

But def lots of notchy-ness.. I wonder if Mitsubishi is going to do something about it? different Transmission oil?? maybe? recall..??

I hope something..
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

How about everyone stops complaining and just accepts it for what it is. Does any of it stop you from driving the car? Has the transmission actually broke? Or does everyone just like to complain for no reason. The Evo X tranny is pretty beefy and I've given mine some pretty good abuse and it just takes it. No questions asked
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
How about everyone stops complaining and just accepts it for what it is. Does any of it stop you from driving the car? Has the transmission actually broke? Or does everyone just like to complain for no reason. The Evo X tranny is pretty beefy and I've given mine some pretty good abuse and it just takes it. No questions asked
Very well said. I traded my Evo X in a couple of weeks ago for an Outlander. I would still recommend people buy this car and get over the notchyness. There is nothing like this out there.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:29 AM

Fast forward into the future...

ok, so I after getting a dealer and an independent shop to verify I had a tranny issue, I still had to get a lawyer and go to arbitration where Mitsu FINALLY agreed to replace my Tranny. They ended up replacing the transmission, clutch, master/slave cylinder and some other things. All at 4900 miles...

This process pissed me off so much I sold the car and will never buy another Mitsu product again.
I'm just wondering if you had a lawyer involved, obviously that cost you money. Also, why did you have to sell the car? Couldn't you just lemon it or something? I am just curious.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:17 AM

This is just coming out but everyone may want to check into it, hope it helps!.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ns-evo-xs.html

Report Receipt Date: SEP 19, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V446000
Component(s): POWER TRAIN
All Products Associated with this Recall expand
Details close
1 Associated Document expand
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (Mitsubishi) is recalling certain model year 2008-2013 Lancer Evolution vehicles manufactured from December 12, 2007, through March 5, 2013. In the affected vehicles, the clutch master cylinder can fail.
CONSEQUENCE:
Failure of the clutch master cylinder reduces the ability to shift the vehicle into or out of gear, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected clutch master cylinders free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on, or about, November 11, 2013. Owners may contact Mitsubishi at 1-888-648-7820. Mitsubishi's campaign number for this recall is SR-13-009.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Last edited by Hotevo3; Nov 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 07:02 AM

Good info but I don't think it addresses the notchy problem.

Quick Reply: The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread