Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitsubishimark
Same thing right off the lot good to hear its normal .
It was annoying me so bad, but the shifter and bushings made 95% of it go away. So much enjoyable to drive now
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a 14' CB EVO X and it has been notchy since the day i brought it home. Currently at 800 miles. It happens from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes it even grinds :/ It happens randomly too, sometimes it shifts smooth, sometimes it shifts with that notchy feeling and sometimes the grinding.

Should I be worried
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ticaaal70
I just got a 14' CB EVO X and it has been notchy since the day i brought it home. Currently at 800 miles. It happens from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes it even grinds :/ It happens randomly too, sometimes it shifts smooth, sometimes it shifts with that notchy feeling and sometimes the grinding.

Should I be worried
Mine does the samething. You should take note the way you hold your knob wich position give you a better shift. I found that if i hold my knob side way let say from 1 to 3 oclock it would go in little notchy when cold but when it warm butter smooth. But if i hold it at top of the knob i would grind everytime cold or warm. And to me the hard i pull to 2nd and push to 3 the smoother it get. It like to shift hard for some reason.

***A side note*** if anyone here hear or feel like something pop when you shifting check the shifter cables. It happent to me when i shift i feel like something poping out took me some time to figure it out. So finally pull the panels out and drove from to work and finally found that the cable slid out and in off the bracket. A good way to test it while parking shift to each gear and push down on the black piece that slide on the base repeat each gear until you find. I just zip tie it down and niose went away and shift alot smoother.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ticaaal70

Should I be worried
I think its too early to say anything. Although, the transmission is notorious for the notchyness I suggest you wait a bit because your car just has 800 miles on it. When I had the X it was like that for the first 3-4 thousand miles then it was fine and very tolerable. Hope it gets better with time like mine did.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:56 PM

I just bought my 14' evo x PB about month ago. I was very worried but now not so much seeing so many people have been having the same issue.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by level100
Mine does the samething. You should take note the way you hold your knob wich position give you a better shift. I found that if i hold my knob side way let say from 1 to 3 oclock it would go in little notchy when cold but when it warm butter smooth. But if i hold it at top of the knob i would grind everytime cold or warm. And to me the hard i pull to 2nd and push to 3 the smoother it get. It like to shift hard for some reason.

***A side note*** if anyone here hear or feel like something pop when you shifting check the shifter cables. It happent to me when i shift i feel like something poping out took me some time to figure it out. So finally pull the panels out and drove from to work and finally found that the cable slid out and in off the bracket. A good way to test it while parking shift to each gear and push down on the black piece that slide on the base repeat each gear until you find. I just zip tie it down and niose went away and shift alot smoother.
Hey. Man, we have exact same shifter setup and I had exact same pop sound after I installed TS short shifter...
Could u be a little more specific?
What exactly is the "black piece"?
Is it the piece that holds the cable? The one that connects to the bottom of the short shifter?
This popping sound kind of makes me crazy.....
Old Nov 1, 2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by yifuqiao
Hey. Man, we have exact same shifter setup and I had exact same pop sound after I installed TS short shifter...
Could u be a little more specific?
What exactly is the "black piece"?
Is it the piece that holds the cable? The one that connects to the bottom of the short shifter?
This popping sound kind of makes me crazy.....
Okay say you have everything apart and your shifter base expose.( the white piece). If you look inside under cigarete lighter should be you will see how the shifter cable and gate selector mount to the shifter base. It just the slide lock and you can check it while the car is off too. Check one gear at time. Mine pop up in third gear. I just zip tie it dow for now and no more pop.
Click the link below

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CB8QMygBMAE
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:14 PM

Mine grinds 2-3. You would think spending 40k on a car they would get it right. Only 1200 miles on my 2014 and noticed the grind as soon as I got in it with 7 miles on it. Has anyone found the cure? Was gonna buy the whole bushing kit for the shifter
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianX610
Mine grinds 2-3. You would think spending 40k on a car they would get it right. Only 1200 miles on my 2014 and noticed the grind as soon as I got in it with 7 miles on it. Has anyone found the cure? Was gonna buy the whole bushing kit for the shifter
I did the works short throw, works cable bushings, works shifter cage bushings, and torque solutions gateway pivot bushing. Made a world of difference. Almost all of the notchychness went away
Old Dec 3, 2014, 01:46 PM

Random 1st gear lockout at stops

Hey, guys,
I am not sure if this is normal, but I have been experiencing 1st gear lockouts at stops or red lights ( completely stop, no rolling at all ).
However, I can shift to 1st very easily when I am rolling to stop when the car is almost stopped but still moving slightly, speed is probably less than 5 mph.

If I am at stop in neutral and then try to engage 1st. It will be a battle.
I usually have to try to engage any gear I can engage in and then try to engage 1st.
Recentlly, the magic pattern has been 5th->3rd->1st.
Or
try to pump clutch a couple time, then try to engage again.

It also felt wired sometimes that I really have to pull the shifter to far left to engage 1st easily. Maybe things aren't aligned all the time?

This has bothered me a lot in this impatient city. But I can live with it if this doesn't cause any long term damage.
Car is 2014 model that has 14k miles on it.

I am getting all the drivetrain fluid changed next week at RRE and hopefully it will improve this.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
start by bleeding your clutch line
Old Dec 13, 2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by buffaluphagus
mine was notchy for first 800 miles or so. Now its smooth as butter
Good to hear. I have 500 miles on my '14 GSR and was ready to take it in for that issue. Hopefully after i put another 500 on it, it will be smoother.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:12 AM

I have the same problem ,difficult to go into first gear at a stop,I have to shift to second gear then back up to first,700 miles on the car now
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:35 PM

I got my problem fixed.

Tried to bleed the clutch line initially, it didn't do anything for me.

Then, I went to change all the drive train fluid at Road Race Engineering and they used Redline stuff for my car.
OMG, a world of difference, I haven't been able to engage 1st gear this smooth for a couple months now.

The fluid they used for the transmission was MT-85, and it did the trick for my car.
RRE also claimed that MT-85 hits the sweet spot for 90% EVOs out there.

I think OEM trans fluid is good fluid, but it is just too thick in winter, and it takes forever to warm up.
With MT-85, it feels like it is "warmed-up" after initial 5 mins of drive. good stuff!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Ok so im not going crazy. I have a 14 GSR with a little over 2k miles on it now. I've seen it when I go from 1st - 2nd or trying to go back into 1st. I would need to almost double clutch, as if the clutch didnt engage. Always thought I was doing something wrong but glad to see im not.

Quick Reply: The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread