Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR power capabilities

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR power capabilities

I am trying to decide if MR would handle my desired power level. I am looking to get to about 450WHP in the future. Does anyone have experiences yet with SST ??
Old Aug 3, 2008, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you would probably be better off getting a GSR if you want that much power. SST is still so new no one has pushed one yet
Old Aug 3, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikiblueeyes
I am trying to decide if MR would handle my desired power level. I am looking to get to about 450WHP in the future. Does anyone have experiences yet with SST ??
no one really knows yet! why dont you be the first to set the path for others!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:19 AM
Account Disabled

Click the link in my Sig to see the bolt-on mods on my X MR.

Not 450whp, but it proves something can be done to the SST.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en

Can't wait for someone to come out with upgraded clutch packs for the SST like they do for the DSG. It'd be pricey but then we'd start seeing 600whp MRs.

It's been done, just a matter of time and money.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

I cant wait until the true potential of the sst is unlocked. be it with stronger clutch packs and a tcu flash for a more suited launch control and shift characteristics for more powah. time and money will tell.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 01:34 PM

does anyone have a 1/4mile time for a mr modded ???
Old Aug 5, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Problem with the MR and quarter mile time is the fact that the ECU takes it easy on the SST for launches. The launches won't be as "violent" as you could with say a GSR so 0-60 and 1/4 mile times will be less than a GSR.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't think anyone is going to push their SST Tranny anytime soon.

The tranny is not going to cheap to replace and the warranty won't cover it if you jack up the tranny by putting to much power.

I think it's just to risky so the I don't the MR owners are ready to take that chance.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en

But it doesn't really prove anything. You could have 1000 whp on the sst but it won't last one wot run. Do vw guys upgrade their clutch packs? As a sealed unit that even the dealer will not service I figure changing out the clutch disks would be near impossible or ultra expensive.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBS
But it doesn't really prove anything. You could have 1000 whp on the sst but it won't last one wot run. Do vw guys upgrade their clutch packs? As a sealed unit that even the dealer will not service I figure changing out the clutch disks would be near impossible or ultra expensive.
HPA has upgraded clutch packs for the DSG. There are 500+hp R32s and TTs running around with DSG trannies. I've heard, but haven't confirmed for myself, that they're hella expensive - around $5K+ for the clutch packs.

My speculation is that the SST isn't a sealed unit but since training and probably a parts distribution process isn't currently available for all Mitsu techs, the work around is to replace the entire SST unit if there are issues. It was either this or hold off on releasing the SST for many more months. This is somewhat supported by the comentary in the Mitsu training video on the SST where the guy says something to the effect that as training becomes available, dealerships will be able to service the SST instead of just replacing the whole thing.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo
HPA has upgraded clutch packs for the DSG. There are 500+hp R32s and TTs running around with DSG trannies. I've heard, but haven't confirmed for myself, that they're hella expensive - around $5K+ for the clutch packs.

My speculation is that the SST isn't a sealed unit but since training and probably a parts distribution process isn't currently available for all Mitsu techs, the work around is to replace the entire SST unit if there are issues. It was either this or hold off on releasing the SST for many more months. This is somewhat supported by the comentary in the Mitsu training video on the SST where the guy says something to the effect that as training becomes available, dealerships will be able to service the SST instead of just replacing the whole thing.
You are pretty much spot on. But the price on the clutch packs for the VW/Audi DSG are about $1200-$1500 just for the clutch packs. But with labor you are looking at about $5k maybe a little less. Also these clutch packs can hold up to 800lb/ft of torque. I also know that clutch packs for the MR are already being looked at. Now imagine if an MR can put out near 750lb/ft+ torque!!!!

Last edited by Evil_X; Aug 6, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tvbf1
I really don't think anyone is going to push their SST Tranny anytime soon.

The tranny is not going to cheap to replace and the warranty won't cover it if you jack up the tranny by putting to much power.

I think it's just to risky so the I don't the MR owners are ready to take that chance.
That is no difference if you had a 5 speed. Warranty shouldn't covered either.

Carlos
Old Aug 21, 2008, 04:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo
This is somewhat supported by the comentary in the Mitsu training video on the SST where the guy says something to the effect that as training becomes available, dealerships will be able to service the SST instead of just replacing the whole thing.
Exactly. That should stand as proof that it can be done......eventually.

Originally Posted by Evil_X
Now imagine if an MR can put out near 750lb/ft+ torque!!!!
Once those are available, you can bet I will own one.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just like the first year sti's.broke anything whole tranny needs to be replaced.