Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO X with Cosworth Cams (Before and After Dyno Graph inside)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another mods that cost me more money
Old Sep 27, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

nice numbers, would love to see it with more fuel and larger screw.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by DC_TypeR

BigMikeOC
I think these cams will be a bit more difficult to Install/Remove..so I have heard haha. It's not the MIVEC either, it's the fact that it's a timing chain, instead of Timing Belt.
I keep forgetting that these have a chain. I have dealt with that before on an '86 4runner with a 22RE (2.4L 4Cyl) and it was a complete ***** compared to dealing with a timing belt.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks DC, i will most difinetly get an exhaust not sure about a full tubo back but i know the car will need more air and more exhast capacity.
So this are not MIVEC cams? Wouldn't they have to be? So are you saying we should wait for the MIVEC ones!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LOL those have to be MIVEC to work at all, and Mike said he adjusted the settings via ECUtek.

Just the timing chain makes it harder to swap cams, likely something I'll have a shop do if I get them.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

^ Exactly. Maybe I made a confusing post?

The Cosworth Cams ARE MIVEC Cams.

-Chris
Old Sep 28, 2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks for sharing the result. Very informative.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Exactly. Maybe I made a confusing post?

The Cosworth Cams ARE MIVEC Cams.

-Chris
I was thinking the same thing, in my head ...but they have to be mivec...
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The chain should not make anything more difficult about changing the cams. SR20s are chain driven and changing cams is not a big deal at all. The great thing about the chain is that you never have to change it! Stupid belts.... not looking forward to changing that on my VIII.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Papi4baby,
I don't think people are going to be dropping in cams on a BONE STOCK Evo Period... it's not your typical "first mod"
Cams are going to force more air in and out... and without the proper mods, imo you wont see "great" benefits.
You'll atleast need a drop in filter/ full exhaust and a tune to take advantage.

I think those numbers are what 85-90% of Evo X owners can expect to gain. Although these are the test sets from Cossie, The real sets should be exactly the same. If I can remember correctly, these are the 272'

-Chris

Hmm, cams don't "force" anything, they will "allow" more air to be "forced" in, all cams do is change the duration of the valve opening, like, opening for .23 seconds instead of .2 seconds etc...

I'm with you though, I am actually surprised the stock cams are being maxed already, I don't remember the flow bench numbers on a stock head but I thought it was well beyond the stock turbo's range.

anyway, good to see new parts coming out

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The chain should not make anything more difficult about changing the cams. SR20s are chain driven and changing cams is not a big deal at all. The great thing about the chain is that you never have to change it! Stupid belts.... not looking forward to changing that on my VIII.
timing chains are not that hard to work with, I've done a lot of "chain work" on sr20det engines, I vastly prefer a timing chain to a belt.

Last edited by zTargeTz; Sep 29, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really can't see how doing cams on this car is going to be easy. Besides the chain, I wonder if they had to upgrade the springs. Then on top of that, these valves have what Mitsu call valve tappets. They are little circular caps of different sizes in increments or .0006mm. This is what the cam lob hits on. There has to be a set amount of gap within a .001 inch. By replacing the cam, this number will change and they would have to send the cams with the new clearence. Then because alll cams/spring/retainers are not exactly the same the valve tappets will have to be replaced till the right one sets the clearence. Any info on this stuff. It would be nice to have some info on this.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, well we aren't saying the R&D will be easy... (at least I'm not)
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

man, crazy power!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 05:17 PM

Mr?

has any R&D been done with these cams on an MR? These power and tourque ratings are some of the highest i've seen released. just wondering if the sst was handling this amount of tourque mainly.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MR-X1212
has any R&D been done with these cams on an MR? These power and tourque ratings are some of the highest i've seen released. just wondering if the sst was handling this amount of tourque mainly.
Someone also asked this question in the original thread on SoCalEvo, Mike W's response was:

"They are not releasing details till they hit the shelves in October.

With an SST tranny I would keep things to about 350 at the wheels and very reversable for a good year or so. Let someone else find the limits and pay $9k for a new tranny out of warranty. Your MR will be lots of fun with an intake, full exhaust and a tune.

Mike W"

Quick Reply: EVO X with Cosworth Cams (Before and After Dyno Graph inside)