Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

My engine tick

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i didnt realize this topic came back.

For those with the issue... it is a known issue with MMNA. I got mine fixed with little hassle from the dealership once I got a service writer that wasn't a piece of ****. Although its always better to talk to them before you take the car there if you have mods.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gexxer
man i didnt realize this topic came back.

For those with the issue... it is a known issue with MMNA. I got mine fixed with little hassle from the dealership once I got a service writer that wasn't a piece of ****. Although its always better to talk to them before you take the car there if you have mods.
What did they do to fix it?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

I had a bent tappet in cylinder #3 and a broken tappet in #4. they replaced both. read the first couple pages of this post, I talk about the when and where it took to get it done a little bit.

My car was bone stock when this problem developed also.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my fiances scion tc ticks my 08 es ticks my 09 gts ticks, they ALL tick and ALL have 35k miles or more both lancers ticked since day 1.

does your x still tick @ all ?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Just to update my experience with the "tick", I have taken it to a shop to get a second opinion.

Mechanic's diagnosis. Valve train normal.

Culprit: Noisy stock Injectors.

Everything is normal.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
my fiances scion tc ticks my 08 es ticks my 09 gts ticks, they ALL tick and ALL have 35k miles or more both lancers ticked since day 1.

does your x still tick @ all ?

since the fix.. no ticking... just the regular noisy injectors and other normal noises when i bought the car. btw... my tick got so loud i could hear it in the cabin with the windows rolled up. when i went ot the dealership the last time when they fixed it... the service manager was standing there and said "man, what's wrong with your car?" when i pulled up.

i dont mean to sound like an @sshat, but do you know the difference between normal engine sounds and bad engine sounds? I'm not being sarcastic either. A LOT of people dont know what sounds are supposed to be there and what aren't.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrubino83
Just to update my experience with the "tick", I have taken it to a shop to get a second opinion.

Mechanic's diagnosis. Valve train normal.

Culprit: Noisy stock Injectors.

Everything is normal.
the service writers tried these bull**** lines on me when i first started taking the car in.

for the record... it took 6 visits to the dealership over a 6 month period. I put over 10k miles on the car during this time. I kept going back so they had records of my complaints and could not later come back and say i did something to void the warranty or cause this damage.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gexxer
the service writers tried these bull**** lines on me when i first started taking the car in.

for the record... it took 6 visits to the dealership over a 6 month period. I put over 10k miles on the car during this time. I kept going back so they had records of my complaints and could not later come back and say i did something to void the warranty or cause this damage.
wow. Youre making me paranoid about my engine! Hope that this is not the case. I have not gone to he dealership to diagnose the problem, took it to a knowledgeable friend in the industry.

Did you notice any other symptoms other than the ticking? ie power loss, limp mode, etc?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone notice the ticking sound coming from different parts of the engine bay? Our engines aren't exactly quiet with the hood up by any means...

I had a 2008 subaru legacy before I got my X and it was by far louder than any engine bay I've listened to so I thought the sounds were completely normal.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

if you guys really want to cure your paranoia..... get together with another X and listen to each others engines.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 08:25 PM

It IS the injectors making the racket and the 'ticking' noise is dependant on the cycling, and that is dependant on a heap of inputs like eng temp, ambient temp etc etc

Hence why you can put one X next to another and they may not exhibit the same ticking or cliking noise. If both cars have had the same drive cycle, you'll find they will resemble the same noise.

For what it's worth, it's perfectly normal and acceptable as it's a part of their design. I know it does seem to sound like 'sticky' hydraulic lifters to the untrained ear, but everything is fine.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kijima
It IS the injectors making the racket and the 'ticking' noise is dependant on the cycling, and that is dependant on a heap of inputs like eng temp, ambient temp etc etc

Hence why you can put one X next to another and they may not exhibit the same ticking or cliking noise. If both cars have had the same drive cycle, you'll find they will resemble the same noise.

For what it's worth, it's perfectly normal and acceptable as it's a part of their design. I know it does seem to sound like 'sticky' hydraulic lifters to the untrained ear, but everything is fine.
this is where my statement about knowing the difference between normal sounds and abnormal sounds comes in.

I can tell you from spekaing with MMNA directly ( read: their voice to my ear ). This is a problem they are looking to address as it is happening a lot. They wouldn't tell me how many cases they had going, but he did say mine was not the first to have failed Valve Tappets.

yes this engine is noisy.... it is NOT more noisy than my 4g63 motor. It is also still only a 2 year old motor... you can't expect problem to not come up.

one more thing.... the ticking of the valve tappets sounds quite a bit different than the clicking from the injectors. I tried to record the sounds while i was waiting for the stealership to fix it, but i dont have a mic good enough to filter out the ambient noises.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

how long did it take for this to get fixed? did you drop the car off initially to have the problem diagnosed then take it back to get repaired? or was it finally diagnosed and then fixed in your last visit?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
I've had it for 19k miles and never realy thought about getting it checked....thought it was just a 4 banger banging!

i have a 09 es and i have this noise, its sounds like the driver side injector are maybe the valves. i had my teacher take a look at it(hes a master tech at a nissan dealer) and he couldnt find were the noise was coming from either
i gave up and get use to it. my girlfriend thinks theres a midget in the engine running in a hamster wheel thats making the noise. haha
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

mitsu has came back twice now acknowledging the noise is there (in writing) but said there is nothing wrong with the engine and to keep driving it. oh well...

Quick Reply: My engine tick