Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

My engine tick

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gexxer
its just annoying really and it has gotten worse since i got it back from the dealership.
You can hear it with the hood closed when driving? That is definitely not the ticking I think most here are talking about than. Mine ticks but you can only hear it with the hood popped open and I am 99% sure it is a normal valve train sound on these cars.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

I know what normal valvetrain noise is with these engines and with the older 4g63. that's why i brought this up and why i have the dealership involved and gettign everything documented. They are acknowledging there is a problem, and MMNA also told them they are aware of it... they just do not have a fix for it as of now. Since it isn't causing any "damage" per say, they wont replace parts that aren't broken.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I've been busy and haven't had time to record anything. its definietly coming from the engine internals. My gut instinct says it is the cams slapping the valves or the valves slapping the head themselves. its just annoying really and it has gotten worse since i got it back from the dealership. maybe it is just my ear listening for it, but i think its worse.
I thought your stealership was going to pull the head. What was the result?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

the result was as i updated in the OP.... they know there is noise, they called mitsu about it. mitsu said they know there is noise. mitsu said they are working on it. I got car back. noise is worse than before.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:13 PM

My car a 09 Ralliart does the same thing, it must just be the engine. Because the 09 Ralliarts and Evo 10's share the same engine.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least is documented so if anything happens they should cover it.. Im hoping MMNA makes a tsb if this is a manufacturer defect so we dont have to fight to get it covered
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the result was as i updated in the OP.... they know there is noise, they called mitsu about it. mitsu said they know there is noise. mitsu said they are working on it. I got car back. noise is worse than before.
Is there a TSB for this that you know of?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

there is no tsb for this because there is no fix for it yet
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Semi-reviving this thread because I just noticed the engine tick today. I could have sworn it was never there before, but maybe I was just never paying attention. I was out messing around under the hood and I turned the car on to let it idle for a little while, when noticed the ticking from the engine bay. I couldn't hear it from inside the car though. It's just coming from the engine near where the UICP passes, so I imagine it's the same ticking everyone else is referring to.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Purchased my evo 5 days ago and it's been ticking since the day I got it 13 miles. Dealer told me it was the injectors adjusting to the motors current rpm's ect. I have had Honda's and when they started to tick it was valve tapping. Mine is at the shop already and am having them check it out.

My 2cents....
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's fine. I just started up my mom's '08 Jeep Liberty and it has the same kind of ticking from the motor. I would only imagine it's normal but
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

My 09 Ralliart ticks like a bugger too, which at first I thought abnormal but really I think its normal until proven otherwise with it getting louder or mitsu says otherwise.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

My ticking started right at 10K, after a lot of breaking in but still stock.

I was noticing it as a new and louder, albeit very quiet, but not there when NEW. Heard it while inside my local oil change shop, to which I admit the car doesn't get any garage love. It was the first "cold" cooler weather of the year.

I definitely never heard this when new, it's not always been there so I'll do the CYA thing and let Mr MMNA's local rep get it written up for me. I don't want them to make it louder so I guess I won't play it up.

And those guys just told me last week if I TBE my car, that voids warranty. Dang it! I have the parts, don't want to pull that wrench-handle till I get this logged.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have to believe that this is all normal.

I mean has anyone heard of a single valvetrain failure yet with the 4B11T? Seriously, I haven't yet and I am kind of curious.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

The tick is a little bit louder. I'm driving it hard though at times, but I give nice fresh oil to her often. Odometer is 24K and counting.

"Hard" means occassional infrequent track, but often 1/2 mile - 4 mile sprints.

Quick Reply: My engine tick