Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which best describes your oil when you wipe the dipstick on a napkin?
It's dark after less than 1000 miles and it smells like fuel.
56.13%
It's maybe a little dark, but I don't really smell fuel.
30.66%
Clean as a whistle
13.21%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Fuel dilution in oil problem

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Oil Doc also offered analysis through Oil Analyzers, Inc. (http://www.oaitesting.com/) at his cost, which is $0.05 more than the $22.50 Blackstone charges. Oil Analyzers kits include postage, while Blackstone's don't, so you'd be saving a few dollars. Anyway, it's another option.
I am not sure, but i think Blackstone labs is also free postage back, but it takes close to a month to get to them or so. If you want to speed up the proccess, in their site they say is like 1.8X for stamps and it gets to them within a week.

I am going to get mine with them, and i will by getting my oil change next week on friday. I will report results as soon as i have them.

P.S. Mine should be interesting, it will be @ almost 5k mi original oil factory fill . Please dont try to lecture me about me not carring about my car, i sleep very good at night .
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papi4baby
I am not sure, but i think Blackstone labs is also free postage back, but it takes close to a month to get to them or so. If you want to speed up the proccess, in their site they say is like 1.8X for stamps and it gets to them within a week.

I am going to get mine with them, and i will by getting my oil change next week on friday. I will report results as soon as i have them.

P.S. Mine should be interesting, it will be @ almost 5k mi original oil factory fill . Please dont try to lecture me about me not carring about my car, i sleep very good at night .
Thanks Papi. Looking forward to your results (and you do not have an aftermarket tune?).

Later, Ken
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
They might, but if you go to the order page there's a checkbox for adding return postage that increases the price. The orders include only multiple kits, so maybe the single kits include postage by default...
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:03 AM

OK, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. While I have not confirmed that my car has this condition. Like I said earlier, I can submit quality reports to Mitsu. But, I need hard data. I am also weeks away from any real data. I've never owned a car that is this new, with conditions that people have not found a fix for yet. It is not necessary for some one to write a letter in Japanese.

So if your in the Boston area and you think your car has this problem you can contact me via PM and I will give you my info to contact me.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Thanks Papi. Looking forward to your results (and you do not have an aftermarket tune?).

Later, Ken
Been runing AP CoBB stage 1 for about 1k, and now runing Perrin Stage 1. So i would say, been runing AP for about 1599 mi, 2 months or so.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:11 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew84
OK, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. While I have not confirmed that my car has this condition. Like I said earlier, I can submit quality reports to Mitsu. But, I need hard data. I am also weeks away from any real data. I've never owned a car that is this new, with conditions that people have not found a fix for yet. It is not necessary for some one to write a letter in Japanese.

So if your in the Boston area and you think your car has this problem you can contact me via PM and I will give you my info to contact me.

Thanks for the help to the community.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:20 AM

I got my oil sample results this morning. Like STI, I had mine done by Oil Analyzers.

Again, my only mod is an Ecutek tune.
3300 miles on the sample. I had the tune for every mile on the sample.
12,000 miles on the car now.
BTW, I never boost or push the car with a cold engine.

Fuel Vol. 4.7%
Viscosity 8.1
Nitration 25

The comment to the report reads in relevant part:

Infrared results indicate that NITRATION is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; FUEL DILUTION is at a MODERATE LEVEL; FUEL DILUTION has caused viscosity to decrease moderately.

I spoke with a lab tech concerning my sample results. For what its worth, he said that 2% is a level one severity, 4% is a level 2, and 6% is critical. Viscosity was at a level 2 severity and almost a level 3. The tech said he would not call for an inspection at this time (unless the warranty period was ending), but would continue to closely monitor the oil. He also said he ran the fuel test twice to confirm results.

This is crazy. My oil sample was pitch black, reeked like fuel, and my new oil already smells like fuel with less than a 1000 miles--all on a car that is virtually new. I could take it to the dealer, but considering that they would probably do nothing on a completely stock car, I'm sure they would just blame the tune on my car. At least we know that a tune has no significant impact on the dilution issue, and there must be some other cause.

I guess for now I will dramatically increase my oil change intervals, and perhaps send my next sample for analysis at 2000 miles to see how the results compare.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

StevX: That's not what we wanted to hear. I was hoping a tune would resolve the issue.

Could you either update the spreadsheet on page 17 with your info, or maybe PM me a screenshot of your complete results and I'll do it? I think we're going to need to keep a log.

I had my car in to Mitsubishi this morning, and they denied smelling fuel on the oil. To my nose, the smell was unmistakable. So, I can't decide if that's a good thing... on one hand if I trust them my car is fine, on the other my dealership techs are crap which will surely create trouble getting anything fixed in the future.

The service manager was sympathic and promised to take any unfavorable oil analysis results to the regional engineering lead. I think this is because they felt bad my seats were falling apart. Anyway, it's on me to change the oil today I guess. They couldn't smell the fuel so wouldn't do it under warranty.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:02 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by StevX
I got my oil sample results this morning. Like STI, I had mine done by Oil Analyzers.

Again, my only mod is an Ecutek tune.
3300 miles on the sample. I had the tune for every mile on the sample.
12,000 miles on the car now.
BTW, I never boost or push the car with a cold engine.

Fuel Vol. 4.7%
Viscosity 8.1
Nitration 25

The comment to the report reads in relevant part:

Infrared results indicate that NITRATION is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; FUEL DILUTION is at a MODERATE LEVEL; FUEL DILUTION has caused viscosity to decrease moderately.

I spoke with a lab tech concerning my sample results. For what its worth, he said that 2% is a level one severity, 4% is a level 2, and 6% is critical. Viscosity was at a level 2 severity and almost a level 3. The tech said he would not call for an inspection at this time (unless the warranty period was ending), but would continue to closely monitor the oil. He also said he ran the fuel test twice to confirm results.

This is crazy. My oil sample was pitch black, reeked like fuel, and my new oil already smells like fuel with less than a 1000 miles--all on a car that is virtually new. I could take it to the dealer, but considering that they would probably do nothing on a completely stock car, I'm sure they would just blame the tune on my car. At least we know that a tune has no significant impact on the dilution issue, and there must be some other cause.

I guess for now I will dramatically increase my oil change intervals, and perhaps send my next sample for analysis at 2000 miles to see how the results compare.
Has anyone had good results with these guys yet? Any type of car?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theFLASH12
STi2EvoX, will you be doing more Oil Analysis, after the tune to help in determining if the cause is the rich setting?

I will be doing this to share with everyone, but I'm weeks away from getting all this data...
Yes, although the results will be a little scewed because about 200 miles of this oil will be on the current tune. In spite of this, it should still show drastically reduced fuel dilution, which will be conclusive enough to show that the problem had been fixed.

EDIT:It looks like someone with a tune still has horrendous fuel dilution on their X, so the tune isn't the issue. Noize, you said that there was no way it was anything other than the tune, but it appears that that's not the case. I am still going in for a tune tomorrow, but I guess the only thing I will get from this is a better running, but still not safe, car. Any ideas? Maybe the X's embaressingly soft valve springs are causing the intake valves to crack open constantly under boost, rather than only opening during the intake stroke, and the compressed fuel mixture is seeping up the valve stem and getting into the oil supply around the cams. I have no clue now, but something's not right.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jan 23, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Yes, although the results will be a little scewed because about 200 miles of this oil will be on the current tune. In spite of this, it should still show drastically reduced fuel dilution, which will be conclusive enough to show that the problem had been fixed.

EDIT:It looks like someone with a tune still has horrendous fuel dilution on their X, so the tune isn't the issue. Noize, you said that there was no way it was anything other than the tune, but it appears that that's not the case. I am still going in for a tune tomorrow, but I guess the only thing I will get from this is a better running, but still not safe, car. Any ideas? Maybe the X's embaressingly soft valve springs are causing the intake valves to crack open constantly under boost, rather than only opening during the intake stroke, and the compressed fuel mixture is seeping up the valve stem and getting into the oil supply around the cams. I have no clue now, but something's not right.
I just got off the phone with Bruce about this, it could still be the tune- Fueling in overrun, etc. You'll have to chat with him tomorrow about it for clarification.

Gotta run, going into a label meeting.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I just got off the phone with Bruce about this, it could still be the tune- Fueling in overrun, etc. You'll have to chat with him tomorrow about it for clarification.
And one data point isn't super-helpful by itself. Maybe that particular tune is still a bit rich. It's unlikely, but we can't be sure.

So, I think we're still a long way from making any definitive conclusions with only 3 data points.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
So, I think we're still a long way from making any definitive conclusions with only 3 data points.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

STevX, Thanks for your results. The pot has now been stirred ... big time!
I have ordered my oil kit and then there will be two.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:06 AM

Attached is my oil analysis report.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil Sample results.pdf (56.6 KB, 36 views)

Quick Reply: Fuel dilution in oil problem