Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which best describes your oil when you wipe the dipstick on a napkin?
It's dark after less than 1000 miles and it smells like fuel.
56.13%
It's maybe a little dark, but I don't really smell fuel.
30.66%
Clean as a whistle
13.21%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Fuel dilution in oil problem

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, time to get out the heavy guns; sent below to Eric at AMS today:

Eric et al.,
I know you guys read the EVOM forum often and may have run across the issue of excessive fuel entering the engine oil of the X (please see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l-problem.html). While we have not acquired sufficient numbers, what we have seen to date in OEM "tuned" and aftermarket tuned engines is >4% fuel dilution which at best has been defined from testing labs as "critical levels; Oil Doc (Rob) claims anything over 2% is unacceptable; more results from other cars will be coming in from outside independent oil testing firms.

At first thought everyone pointed to the rediculously low A/F under load. It was felt that when an aftermarket tune was installed resulting in A/F going from 9's to 11's that we would see reductions in fuel dilution to <2%. However, for the one case we have (StevX) this did not occur; he got >4% with 3.3K mi between oil changes.

Now the questions: Has AMS observed excessive amounts of fuel in the engine oil of the 4B11? Is this concentration a concern from an engine longevity point of view? If the answer is yes, then there are a lot of worried X owners out there that want this problem resolved. Since AMS has ripped this engine completely apart, we would all appreciate your input as to the potential causes for this excessive fuel entry. Thanking you in advance from a lot of nail biting EVO X owners!

Later, Ken
Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KPerez
Papi, an engine can fail via detonation but with the level of fuel dilution currently measured we are not talking about engine failure, rather the concern is excessive engine wear. These two features are completely different. That said, I spoke to Oil Doc via phone (he is having trouble with the "big boys" getting on EVOM) and it appears from StevX analysis that there is no evidence of engine wear (no metals) but the oil is now a 20 weight rather than the original 30 weight. So if this is correct, then we have some good, albeit small, news from his analysis.

Later, Ken
I dont think you understoof my post or i didn't explain it well enought. I was not talking about normal detonation. But internal( lower engine, where the crank and piston rods are) detonation from fumes and preassure built up.

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well, I had similar results. My wear metals were extremely low, but the oil lost viscocity from the fuel dilution and ended up around a 20W. The only real differences were that my nitration was lower, but so was my magnesium (main anti wear additive in oil). Then again, we are running different oils and have different mileage on the oil samples, so I would expect some differences.
And i think you are also misinformed. You can't just go by one sample. You have to establish a trend when you have an issue like this. And keep and eye, make sure that the metals count does not increase. If the metal count stays the same, then there's no problem. But once you see a spike, something is going wrong. And like i said a while ago, we have no idea what the limits or standards are for the 4B11 on wear metals. And that's some of my doubt too. The fuel dilution level you guys are seening might be normal for this engine, and might not be too big of and issue. Now i am not saying is not, but just something to keep in mind, before we go knocking on Mitsubishi door.

I sure can't wait till someone gets to talk to, or some info from a Mitsubishi engine engineer on this issue.

I did oil analisys when i was in the Navy. I know a little bit about the process. Granted it does not apply to cars, but it is somewhat similar.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:09 AM

^ You sir have got the right idea, we all need to gather our data and put it together to get an accurate sample of 4B11 engines. It would be interesting to see the results from a Ralliart Lancer too. This is going to take some months because most of the cars need miles to be put on them. Patience is the key. Look at it this way, when the FDA does drug testing that can take up to 10 years to find the effects of it. I'm not saying this will take this long, but case studies like this are pretty involved.

Last edited by Drew84; Jan 24, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drew84
^ You sir have got the right idea, we all need to gather our data and put it together to get an accurate sample of 4B11 engines. It would be interesting to see the results from a Ralliart Lancer too. This is going to take some months because most of the cars need miles to be put on them. Patience is the key. Look at it this way, when the FDA does drug testing that can take up to 10 years to find the effects of it. I'm not saying this will take this long, but case studies like this are pretty involved.
Hate to be pessimistic. But that is going to be hard.

And even then, the results would be skew one way or another. From people using different oils, to different fuels, and different driving patterns.

Would be nice, but nearly impossible. The best thing if you are truly worry about it, and dont mind spending 25 bucks a month is to keep on doing oil samples, and hope nothing bad happens.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
And i think you are also misinformed. You can't just go by one sample. You have to establish a trend when you have an issue like this. And keep and eye, make sure that the metals count does not increase. If the metal count stays the same, then there's no problem. But once you see a spike, something is going wrong. And like i said a while ago, we have no idea what the limits or standards are for the 4B11 on wear metals.

And that's some of my doubt too. The fuel dilution level you guys are seening might be normal for this engine, and might not be too big of and issue. Now i am not saying is not, but just something to keep in mind, before we go knocking on Mitsubishi door. I sure can't wait till someone gets to talk to, or some info from a Mitsubishi engine engineer on this issue.I did oil analisys when i was in the Navy. I know a little bit about the process. Granted it does not apply to cars, but it is somewhat similar.
Papi, I am not misinformed about anything. I am not basing my opinions on someone else's sample, I am basing it on MY sample (remember I was the first one to do the analysis) and what I know about the effects of fuel dilution. You need to realize that it has nothing to do with engine design; it is based solely on the known properties of oil and the subsequent effects of fuel when they are mixed. There is no engine that "tolerates" fuel dilution more than another, because engines all rely on oil, and when oil fails, engines fail. Fuel causes oil to fail. Period.

So, you need to get this, "we don't know what the standards are for the 4b11, this might be normal" crap out of your head because it doesn't work like that. Now look, I spoke in great detail with one of the lab techs about this yesterday, and this is what he had to say: When there is 4-6% fuel dilution, oil can drop up to 2 grades, effectively taking a 30W oil down to a 20W and lower.

When viscocity decreases, there is less of a cushion surrounding the particulates, like dust, that get past the air filter and into the oil. These particulates will start to grind against metal components, increasing wear metals. Fuel also eats bearings once it gets around the 5% mark. Once fuel dilution passes this point, oil will rapidly start to break down at exponential rates and engine failure will occur. These are things that are undisputable, so I think you might want to rethink how you look at the issue because this is going to bite you in the *** if you ignore it.

To stevx: the reason that your nitration levels are high is possibly because you are running too lean, according to the lab tech. When you are running too lean, combustion temps rise, obviously. When temps get high enough, you can actually burn the nitrogen in the air, which effectively deposits itself as nitric acid. As nitric acid passes by the rings, nitration levels go up. High nitration levels lower you TBN (total base number), which is the measure of an oil's ability to maintain correct Ph balance and neutralize acids in the oil. It is worth considering that if you are running lean and still getting fuel dilution, then there is most likely a mechanical issue with the car somewhere.

Judging by the fact that our fuel dilution levels are pretty similar, we probably both have the problem, along with many others. I personally believe this to be a widespread issue, but we will know more when more analysis reports start coming back.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jan 24, 2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added info and fixed typos
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Papi, I am not misinformed about anything. I am not basing my opinions on someone else's sample, I am basing it on MY sample (remember I was the first one to do the analysis) and what I know about the effects of fuel dilution. You need to realize that it has nothing to do with engine design; it is based solely on the known properties of oil and the subsequent effects of fuel when they are mixed. There is no engine that "tolerates" fuel dilution more than another, because engines all rely on oil, and when oil fails, engines fail. Fuel causes oil to fail. Period.

So, you need to get this, "we don't know what the standards are for the 4b11, this might be normal" crap out of your head because it doesn't work like that. Now look, I spoke in great detail with one of the lab techs about this yesterday, and this is what he had to say: When there is 4-6% fuel dilution, oil can drop up to 2 grades, effectively taking a 30W oil down to a 20W and lower.

When viscocity decreases, there is less of a cushion surrounding the particulates, like dust, that get past the air filter and into the oil. These particulates will start to grind against metal components increasing wear metals. Fuel also eats bearings once it gets around the 5% mark. Once fuel dilution passes this point, oil will rapidly start to break down at exponential rates and engine failure will occur. These are things that are undisputable, so I think you might want to rethink how you look at the issue because this is going to bite you in the *** if you ignore it.
Ok.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

spreadsheet

Gizmo, thanks for the spreadsheet, I'll be having some inputs soon also. My Oil Analyzers report of my first 1009 miles s/b available next week, the following will be another 1000 miles, then I'll get my APtune, after whichat the 3000 mile mark we'll have more data.

All this info you have all laid out has gotten me pretty anxious..

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I would doubt many tuners send their oil out for analysis, and so probably wouldn't know there's an issue until made aware of it. That's part of what this thread is about. If tuners want to chime in, their results and thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't know how many of you who have gotten analysis performed have changed your own oil, but I did mine today. I don't have an air compressor, but those who do might want to consider Oil Doc's suggestion. My brand new oil looks pretty dirty after the change, and was pitch black before the change. I'll probably wait for the analysis to come back and then change it again right away.

I updated the spreadsheet with SteveX's results. Only 2 data points so far. I started to add some calculations so we can get an idea of the scope of the problem. With only 2 data points the calculations aren't useful yet, but I'll keep it updated as results roll in.

I decided to just host it myself so I'm not constantly attaching things, you can find it here:
EvoX-OilDilution.xls
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm rethinking my stance on this. I do think we should be vigilant, but I don't think we can jump to conclusions with only a couple analysis results.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

I should have two sets of results in a couple months one set from blackstone and one set from oil analysis or whatever the name of the one amsoil uses is. Both will be from the same sample so this should also help us make a comparison between the two companies.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yes Mad, Interlab comparisons will provide a measure of the variability we can expect when we get submissions from individuals using different labs for the analysis of their oil. Good QA/QC move here.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 25, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Just put gas and check the oil. And this time i can smell fuel. Oil change is coming up this week.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, Called AMS yesterday regarding above letter to Eric and got a hold of Dan. He had looked at this thread earlier and really could not provide any causes for excessive fuel additions. He did, however, comment that the oil weights used by some, namely 0-30 and even the OEM recommended 5-30 was a bit low. Recommended 10-40W instead and retest to see if %fuel dilution was improved i.e., lowered. This may be a better interim "solution" since the fuel addition is reducing the viscosity, so increasing weight will add a bit of cushion.
For me, after this weather lifts, I will test OEM 5-30W already in my car and then replace with 10-40W and retest at next oil change to see if %fuel is lowered; this will be sometime down the road though. As you are all aware, to get to the bottom of this, it will take time, envolvement of EVO X owners and patience.

BTW, Dan indicated that Mitsu is definitely reading EVOM. How did he know this, I asked? When AMS went to corporate last year, Mitsu rep's indicated they were pleased with the performance results of the 4B11 that AMS had posted earlier on EVOM. Bottom Line: Our concerns are perhaps being observed but would like a more direct communique, like a formal letter requesting their assistance in establising the existence of the problem, its causes and possible solutions. So MItsu, if you are out there, how about stepping up and be counted on this issue? To do such is in all our interests.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I mentioned using a heavier weight oil in the summer months last time I was at the dealer (getting the good old oil leak from behind the water pump fixed) and was told NOT to change weight because it can play hell on the mivec....

They claimed they had a regular lancer in that just would not run right come to find out it had the wrong weight oil in it and when they swapped it back to the proper weight mobile 1 it ran like a top.

Personally, I would tend to think it was just overfilled, but I don't know. Just food for thought.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
I mentioned using a heavier weight oil in the summer months last time I was at the dealer (getting the good old oil leak from behind the water pump fixed) and was told NOT to change weight because it can play hell on the mivec....

They claimed they had a regular lancer in that just would not run right come to find out it had the wrong weight oil in it and when they swapped it back to the proper weight mobile 1 it ran like a top.

Personally, I would tend to think it was just overfilled, but I don't know. Just food for thought.
Yes Mad 8, you did suggest this earlier and I to think the dealership is way off about changing weights; I think AMS has a little more experience and their statement suggests the lighter weight OEM oil (5-30)may be allowing more fuel to enter through the rings.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
exactly what i have been trying to say for some time now, the way we drive these cars the amount of heat we put into the engines by driving hard the car needs that extra viscocity to.

manny shops not only AMS has said this for some time now.

i have Evo9 and EvoX customer both cars using 20-50 you may think is way to think but with 30psi and race gas and or meth is really peace of mind.

Originally Posted by KPerez
Ok, Called AMS yesterday regarding above letter to Eric and got a hold of Dan. He had looked at this thread earlier and really could not provide any causes for excessive fuel additions. He did, however, comment that the oil weights used by some, namely 0-30 and even the OEM recommended 5-30 was a bit low. Recommended 10-40W instead and retest to see if %fuel dilution was improved i.e., lowered. This may be a better interim "solution" since the fuel addition is reducing the viscosity, so increasing weight will add a bit of cushion.
For me, after this weather lifts, I will test OEM 5-30W already in my car and then replace with 10-40W and retest at next oil change to see if %fuel is lowered; this will be sometime down the road though. As you are all aware, to get to the bottom of this, it will take time, envolvement of EVO X owners and patience.

BTW, Dan indicated that Mitsu is definitely reading EVOM. How did he know this, I asked? When AMS went to corporate last year, Mitsu rep's indicated they were pleased with the performance results of the 4B11 that AMS had posted earlier on EVOM. Bottom Line: Our concerns are perhaps being observed but would like a more direct communique, like a formal letter requesting their assistance in establising the existence of the problem, its causes and possible solutions. So MItsu, if you are out there, how about stepping up and be counted on this issue? To do such is in all our interests.

Later, Ken

Quick Reply: Fuel dilution in oil problem