Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is there a quick shifter available?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a quick shifter available?

i've been looking around for a shifter kit, but most of them (or i should say, all that i've found) involves replacing the oem stick with a shorter stick measured from the top to the base. this lowers the shifter's height, but it also makes it harder to shift because you have less torque due to the shorter stick, yet the length from the base to the cable remains the same. with my old car, there's a quick shifter kit that maintains the stock shifter's length from the top down, but from the base to the cables is actually shorter. you get more torque from the shifting movement, and it actually feels easier and faster to shift due to that. is there something like that available?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can look into the cobb one, it's height adjustable. i have the works and don't have a problem shifting with it
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
you can look into the cobb one, it's height adjustable. i have the works and don't have a problem shifting with it
oh i know shifting with them isn't a problem, but i'm a short little asian dude i need a long stick to whack at!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
oh i know shifting with them isn't a problem, but i'm a short little asian dude i need a long stick to whack at!
lol, i'm 5'7" and i don't have a problem. what i'm saying is that i didn't notice much more effort, a good weighted shift knob will do the trick as well. you can look into the twm ssk and knob, i'm getting those for my dad's civic si
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Have you seen Work's?

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=504

WM
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does Work's "improved hand position" feel?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Forgive my sarcasm, but I like the SST shift knob. It's pretty damn quick.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Western_man
that's the type i'm talking about that "increases" effort, because it only shortens the top and not the bottom. the one i have on the old car actually "reduces" effort by shortening just the bottom. good resource nonetheless, thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

On the short shifters available, yes they shorten the stick from the knob to the base, but they also lengthen the stick from the base to the cables, it doesn't stay the same as stock. The longer base-to-cable portion is what makes the throw shorter.

I have the TWM short throw. The reduction in throw length is immediately noticeable, but the increase in effort is not noticeable compared to stock.

So basically what you want is a shifter with reduced effort but with a longer throw, because that's what a shorter than stock base-to-cable portion of the shifter will do.

Originally Posted by m0nkie
How does Work's "improved hand position" feel?
The TWM has the same hand position as the Works. It's actually pretty nice and doesn't feel like I'm reaching for the passenger floor anymore going into 5th
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

i also have thw roks short shifter and i love where it now positions the shifter. I am looking inot getting the shifter bushings because i want it to be a bit stiffer and tighter feeling. Hopefully the bushings will do the trick for me. Effort was definitely not increased.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Get the base bushings and the underhood bushings and it'll definitely feel stiffer and more precise
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
On the short shifters available, yes they shorten the stick from the knob to the base, but they also lengthen the stick from the base to the cables, it doesn't stay the same as stock. The longer base-to-cable portion is what makes the throw shorter.

I have the TWM short throw. The reduction in throw length is immediately noticeable, but the increase in effort is not noticeable compared to stock.

So basically what you want is a shifter with reduced effort but with a longer throw, because that's what a shorter than stock base-to-cable portion of the shifter will do.

The TWM has the same hand position as the Works. It's actually pretty nice and doesn't feel like I'm reaching for the passenger floor anymore going into 5th
ah, i should also say the old car's short shifter came as a whole assembly with a modified base that maintains length but at the same time makes the shifts much shorter.

but i'll go ahead and get some bushings and have a go, thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WORK FTW, best shifter kit i have ever owned and i have had way too many