Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Help... CEL P0171

Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help... CEL P0171

Okay here is the deal, I have a GSR with a turbo back, cone filter and EKUtek tuned. When i tuned the car I only had the catback and intake and then later installed the DP and TP. The tune was done in July and the DP and TP were installed no more then a month after. About 2 months ago I installed a AEM Uego and Defi Boost gauge.
So now about 5 days ago I noticed the car has an irratic idle and is hesitating when I accelerate but no CEL. I then noticed when I would go into boost the car would start to lean out and the car would hesitate. So I let the car cool for a bit and start to look for anything that might of gotten loose and only thing I noticed was the air filter was a little off of the intake pipe, so I loosen it and put it back into place and tighten it back up. Started the car and the car idled fine so thought problem solved, waited about 15mins idle started acting up. So shut off the car, closed up garage and went for a drive but now I noticed the car had a cel which was P0171, So I erased the code and disconnected the battery for about 10 mins to see if it would be reset or something but nothing was fixed. So the car is still acting up and I have no clue of exactly what it can be. Someone told me the O2 is bad but I want to be 100% positive before I spend almost $300 for a new one.

HELP!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:47 PM

p0171 is a lean code and is usually set when there is unmetered airflow entering the engine seen by the o2 but not by the maf. can be usually caused by disconnected vacuum hoses or lines or seperated ic pipes. check to make sure there are no unmetered air leaks.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

I checked, the intercooler pipes and they are fine, as well as looking around and checking to see if something is loose but did not find anything. I will have to look again and see but this is getting frustrating.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:53 PM

what type in intake do you have?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:54 PM

if you got a scan tool check the 02 sensors and fuel trims
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by waldobe
what type in intake do you have?
I just have a K&N cone air filter.

Originally Posted by mo1113
if you got a scan tool check the 02 sensors and fuel trims
Don't have one or know anyone that has one. Is it something that maybe autozone can do? All I have is a regular Actron OBDII reader.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:56 PM

you need a scan tool that can check/look at more than codes. you need to watch your o2 switching and fuel trims as well as other key sensors to see what is reading what. i dont think autozone wil have one capable of looking at live data, instead just a code checker. what is your wideband reading at idle, part throttle, and so on.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:59 PM

If you have a cone filter but with no shield, sometimes air from the fans will kick into the intake throwing off the sensors and leaning your fuel. This will cause some idle issues and stalling issues. Boostboy is right a scan tool will give you more specific information. I use the stock intake with a panel filter and still pull well over 300 horses with no issues.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:46 AM

I'll state my experience just in case you have this code. I have the RRM Intake. My issue was I had taken out my MAF sensor to inspect and then put it back in the RRM custom bracket. I didn't consider checking the O ring and that turned out to be my problem. After fighting this code for so long it was simply a stretched out O ring that was letting in unaccounted air. NAPA Auto Parts didn't have the exact size. They had one larger and one smaller. I put them both on; the smaller on in the groove, and the larger one at the top. I think this might even be a better way to make the seal than the original one. Make sure you check all vacuum hoses and seals. Lean=Too much air or not enough fuel. I almost bought a new fuel pump, that would have sucked.

One more thing, if you go fuel additive, go to Auto Zone and get Chevron w/Techron Injector Cleaner. It may be the most expensive, but it is worth it. They have one for a 12 gallon tank.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by proracer718
Okay here is the deal, I have a GSR with a turbo back, cone filter and EKUtek tuned. When i tuned the car I only had the catback and intake and then later installed the DP and TP. The tune was done in July and the DP and TP were installed no more then a month after. About 2 months ago I installed a AEM Uego and Defi Boost gauge.
So now about 5 days ago I noticed the car has an irratic idle and is hesitating when I accelerate but no CEL. I then noticed when I would go into boost the car would start to lean out and the car would hesitate. So I let the car cool for a bit and start to look for anything that might of gotten loose and only thing I noticed was the air filter was a little off of the intake pipe, so I loosen it and put it back into place and tighten it back up. Started the car and the car idled fine so thought problem solved, waited about 15mins idle started acting up. So shut off the car, closed up garage and went for a drive but now I noticed the car had a cel which was P0171, So I erased the code and disconnected the battery for about 10 mins to see if it would be reset or something but nothing was fixed. So the car is still acting up and I have no clue of exactly what it can be. Someone told me the O2 is bad but I want to be 100% positive before I spend almost $300 for a new one.

HELP!!!!

It is like a bogging hesitation.. you push gas and it takes a sec to catch ????
If so It could be MAF....
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for updates.........................................

Did you ever find out what the cause of this P0171 CEL was/is?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He found out and fixed it. It was something wierd from what I remember had nothing to do with ECU or the Oxygen sensors. Can't remember maybe he will chime in.
Was it a ground? Can't remember.

Sean
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:22 PM

sorry guys dont mean to chop the thread but im just wondering, how do you know if your car is running lean? what are some immediate signs or symptoms?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
He found out and fixed it. It was something wierd from what I remember had nothing to do with ECU or the Oxygen sensors. Can't remember maybe he will chime in.
Was it a ground? Can't remember.

Sean
Ok cool, yeah hopefully he will chime in.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:00 AM

Who are you wanting to chime in?

Just FYI, my O'rings from NAPA gave out after a few months. I had RRM send me their new bolts and O ring for the MAF sensor. Works like a charm now. The reason I knew my engine was running lean was it was throwing CEL P0171.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help... CEL P0171