Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

How often do you change your ACD/AYD fluid?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often do you change your ACD/AYD fluid?

I'm just curious, especially those of you who track your cars in some capacity.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Resurrection attempt here.... I searched through a few X forums and didn't find anything that inspired confidence on this question.

I have 30,000 on my Evo X now and with the 30K service of changing out transfer case, I was wondering about the ACD fluid. I know it is a pressurized system and needs to be bled, a PITA without knowledge and/or a scan tool. So how often do we need to change the ACD fluid out? I've tracked mine for about 500 miles this year, so if it can take abuse, I figure I've given it.

thx in advance
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll take stab at least 30k miles... its one of those things you need to take it to the dealer to do with the MUTIII tool. I am quite positive you cannot do it properly with a hand bleeder.

The most important is to change out the Trans case/ Rear Diff fluid at @ 10-20k miles depending on usuage (cheap insurance) and change the rear diff ATF fluid at the same time I know Redline D4 ATF is a suitable replacement.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
Resurrection attempt here.... I searched through a few X forums and didn't find anything that inspired confidence on this question.

I have 30,000 on my Evo X now and with the 30K service of changing out transfer case, I was wondering about the ACD fluid. I know it is a pressurized system and needs to be bled, a PITA without knowledge and/or a scan tool. So how often do we need to change the ACD fluid out? I've tracked mine for about 500 miles this year, so if it can take abuse, I figure I've given it.

thx in advance
Standard differential change .. we usually change it when we change our gearbox fluids .. abit excessive .. but still ok

It is NOT a pressurised system .. as long as you don't change take out the entire gearbox .. you just need to drain the fluid and top it up .. arrows are stamped on the differential to tell you where you top up

AYC has 2 fluids you change .. one is the ATF clutch bath .. and the other is the differential oil .. again .. no bleeding is required ..
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:15 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm just curious, especially those of you who track your cars in some capacity.
we sponsor some cars that change every other race,,, however it all depends on how hard you are running
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gunzo
Standard differential change .. we usually change it when we change our gearbox fluids .. abit excessive .. but still ok

It is NOT a pressurised system .. as long as you don't change take out the entire gearbox .. you just need to drain the fluid and top it up .. arrows are stamped on the differential to tell you where you top up

AYC has 2 fluids you change .. one is the ATF clutch bath .. and the other is the differential oil .. again .. no bleeding is required ..
Question for you, in regards to the ATF not the gear oil...

For the rear differential I just drain and refill the ATF. Is this the same for the ATF in the front (transfer case)? ...or is that the one that requires bleeding?

Also, when the ATF fluid is drained, does this also drain the fluid reservoir in the trunk, or is that not affected?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
Question for you, in regards to the ATF not the gear oil...

For the rear differential I just drain and refill the ATF. Is this the same for the ATF in the front (transfer case)? ...or is that the one that requires bleeding?

Also, when the ATF fluid is drained, does this also drain the fluid reservoir in the trunk, or is that not affected?
There is no ATF in the front ..

The ATF is for the rear AYC clutches ..

the ACD/AYC pump system is a standalone unit that is separate from the replaceable fluids .. they are compartmentalised ..
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:20 AM

ive heard every 15k
Old Feb 3, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, I knew we all had this official Mitsu info from our EvoM member Russell.... just hard to find somethings when we have all this info!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fications.html

Net, I could not read ANY suggestion to change the ACD/AYC fluid, just check/fill to replace any loss in it.

(Regarding the two rear fluids, axle and torque transfer, they do say 30K btwn changes. Basically, I have a bunch of stuff I need to do in the next month. Warmer weather please!!!!!)

Last edited by journeymansteve; Feb 3, 2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gunzo
There is no ATF in the front ..

The ATF is for the rear AYC clutches ..

the ACD/AYC pump system is a standalone unit that is separate from the replaceable fluids .. they are compartmentalised ..
Ah ok...so I change the rear ATF and just keep the ACD/AYC reservoir in the trunk up to level and I'll be good?

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I change my ACD and rear diff fluid every 2nd service (every 8k miles) and my ATF every 30k