Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO X 5 Speed failures and solutions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone with specific questions please give the shop a call and ask for Dan, 440-839-1900. Dan is my brother, runs/owns the service department and is also the man behind the Bushwacker Transmissions. He can answer your questions and give price quote and time frames.

Thank you!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to add a taller 4th/5th gear into the X Transmission?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

My brother and I are discussing gear ratios now because my car is out of gear already at 122 trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. No answer as of yet.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Extremely interested in the final gear change. Please keep us informed.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Id love a final gear change, hanging with people with 6spds on the highway is such a pain in the ***.
But also the short 4th gear is a bit of a pain when dragging.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
My brother and I are discussing gear ratios now because my car is out of gear already at 122 trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. No answer as of yet.

Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by i64X
Might be a perpetual problem, or it might be that people need to learn how to operate a manual transmission with a bit of fear mongering sprinkled on top. Sounds like a pitch for product/service to me.
Its sad to see posts like this.

This is a known problem with these transmissions, as the above quoted threads convey. If the failure is from heavy usage, who knows? A lot of people use these cars heavy and drag race them, so the fact it occurs at all is not good IMO.

Please don't accuse someone of a sales pitch without real proof. If you had a DSM, you know Buschur Racing has been in business for a lot of years. Time and again they refuse to make parts because they test them and see no power gains. To me, that's honesty, and the opposite of a sales pitch. He is more interested in parts and services that actually benefit the community.

I would appreciate it if people would keep this thread on topic. Having a solution to this problem and fleshing it out will only help us all.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

i believe xtremeboost also had this issue with their shop X...
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
i64x, sounds like a pitch? The new me won't tell you what I think of your completely ignorant comment. I HOPE your differential breaks, let's leave it at that
Originally Posted by i64X
Some of this might be due to shoddy workmanship on Mitsu's part (they're not exactly Honda when it comes to reliability), but I'm betting 90% of it is due to these idiots not knowing how to drive.
Ok, now I too hope that your diff breaks and Buschur won't fix it for you

On the topic though, I can confirm that this is indeed a common problem. I personally know over 10 cases of this falure (at 10 I stopped counting).
The cause is not known for sure, but I suspect that this is due to drifting the car with incorrect AWD setting (before my diff went I did some sliding on snow). My theory is that since Evo X AWD system is different from pre-X, and is more complex, if you don't set correct settings for sliding there's too much stress on front diff and it breaks.
What I'm wondering though, if you reinforce the diff, what would be the next weakest link to fail?

David, do you sell the repair kits separately? I'ts difficult for me to send the whole diff to you, but I would certainly be interested to rebuild my broken diff and have it as a spare for when my new one will break.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

If the diff is new and undamaged then yes we can sell a kit seperate. The price would be $150.

If the diff has been damaged then we have to have it here because it requires machining to fix. That will add to the cost obviously.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Mine's broken. All four pins have snapped. If you can tell by the picture how bad the situation is, you can PM me rebuild price, and what needs to be sent (diff, gear and diff assembly, etc)?

Name:  08022009163.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  79.9 KB
Old Jul 9, 2009, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Yearlongstorm
Thanks. Nice to know its not just me. Just got a brand new fully rebuilt tranny from Shepherd Trans for my X. Differential issue for me too. Will have new tranny installed this week.
Yours is upgraded
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Good to know, thanks for the "pitch"!!!

Are these pin kit's available for sale or do we have to send our difs/trannys to you?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by projekX
Good to know, thanks for the "pitch"!!!

Are these pin kit's available for sale or do we have to send our difs/trannys to you?

Nevermind, i read it. Kits are available for $150
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Is this a lot of extra work if you already have the transmission out for a new clutch?

Sounds like a great kit! Definitely going on my 'future mods' list!

Quick Reply: EVO X 5 Speed failures and solutions