Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO X 5 Speed failures and solutions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
EVO X 5 Speed failures and solutions

As many of you may or may not know, we rebuild a lot of transmissions here at the shop. The "Bushwacker" trans upgrades for the EVO8-9's have proven themselves thousands of times.

We have been rebuilding the EVOX transmissions and as time goes on we are seeing more and more center differential failures, which is inside the 5 speed transmission.

When the center differential fails the pins break which hold in other pins, when these pins come loose and hit the inside of the case it then wears a hole through the case.

These parts are not available seperately from Mitsubishi, this forces you to buy a new stock differential and a new case. These parts will end up failing in the same way.

We now have a stronger pin kit available.

You can send in your center differential or the entire transmission.

We can rebuild the trans or just repair the differential. We can also repair most of the transmission cases by welding them up where the hole wears through them.

The parts are available but depending on what damage is done, what you are sending in to be fixed or if the trans also needs rebuilt, pricing will vary.

Please give Dan here at the shop a call for information if you need the work to be done. 440-839-1900.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you explain some of the symptoms of the problems you describe?

I'm not sure if my problem is the same. I get a knocking/clunking noise that can be felt in the pedals and occurs anytime, driving or not, in gear or not.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be a perpetual problem, or it might be that people need to learn how to operate a manual transmission with a bit of fear mongering sprinkled on top. Sounds like a pitch for product/service to me.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

So the tranny problems where with the MR's on the VIII & IX and now the X have them.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. Nice to know its not just me. Just got a brand new fully rebuilt tranny from Shepherd Trans for my X. Differential issue for me too. Will have new tranny installed this week.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
dave - what are the likely causes for failure?

power?
poor shift ability?
clutch?
just time?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

bump for answers
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by i64X
Might be a perpetual problem, or it might be that people need to learn how to operate a manual transmission with a bit of fear mongering sprinkled on top. Sounds like a pitch for product/service to me.
Here's a couple examples I've seen of the problem being described here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ne-manual.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-gearbox.html
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure as to the cause of the problem. I'd guess power and launching. The EVO8-9's break the differential in the t-case quite often. The EVOX's the differential that breaks is in the trans.

Oh my, you guys shouldn't post examples of what I am talking about...........then it might look like there is a problem and this isn't just a sales pitch! hahaha
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
Here's a couple examples I've seen of the problem being described here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ne-manual.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-gearbox.html
I'm not saying it's not a problem... I've owned Elcipses before... I know Mitsu's break. Both of those dudes had pretty low miles on their cars though, and the one kid said that he replaced his clutch at only 4.5K miles. Then he dropped this line:

"I did launch it some before (who hasn't?), but not very often. And I MAY have burned the clutch since I know I slipped it a few times real bad due to high engagement point on the stock clutch."

Evos are pretty fast stock, and they're easily moddable, and yadda yadda yadda, but they're still cars, and they still break. I don't beat the hell out of my car on a daily basis. Yes it's modded and yes it's fast, but that doesn't mean I go out and abuse it. I would never launch it like these guys are talking about -- ever.

Some of this might be due to shoddy workmanship on Mitsu's part (they're not exactly Honda when it comes to reliability), but I'm betting 90% of it is due to these idiots not knowing how to drive. I didn't mean any offense to the OP with my comment - if you have a solution to a problem that's great - but if these guys are replacing clutches at 4K (or LESS) then they need to learn to drive properly. FYI there was some "sales pitch" sprinkled in, as I said, because you DID create this post to advertise a service.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I am glad that people are finding the problems in the trans before I get mine. If I were to send mine in to be upgraded before it actually breaks would it be cheaper than sending it in after the fact?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, it will be cheaper to have upgraded before it breaks.

The stock clutch in our EVOX lasted about 2500 miles. Some of the best EVO drivers that exist are in our shop or assiated with us. Power/weight/launching wears out clutches. Hard to sell a part without showing results...............
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
As many of you may or may not know, we rebuild a lot of transmissions here at the shop. The "Bushwacker" trans upgrades for the EVO8-9's have proven themselves thousands of times.

We have been rebuilding the EVOX transmissions and as time goes on we are seeing more and more center differential failures, which is inside the 5 speed transmission.

When the center differential fails the pins break which hold in other pins, when these pins come loose and hit the inside of the case it then wears a hole through the case.

These parts are not available seperately from Mitsubishi, this forces you to buy a new stock differential and a new case. These parts will end up failing in the same way.

We now have a stronger pin kit available.

You can send in your center differential or the entire transmission.

We can rebuild the trans or just repair the differential. We can also repair most of the transmission cases by welding them up where the hole wears through them.

The parts are available but depending on what damage is done, what you are sending in to be fixed or if the trans also needs rebuilt, pricing will vary.

Please give Dan here at the shop a call for information if you need the work to be done. 440-839-1900.
This is the exact failure we have on my Evo X.. It put a hole in the case as well.. Good to know Daniel is on top of the X repairs already.. You cannot go wrong with a Bushwacker Trans!!!

MIke
Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
what's the turn time for a "preemptive" beefing up of the tranny/diff? Ballpark on cost?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
what's the turn time for a "preemptive" beefing up of the tranny/diff? Ballpark on cost?
+1

Quick Reply: EVO X 5 Speed failures and solutions