Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

True Cold Air Intake Sucking Up Water?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True Cold Air Intake Sucking Up Water?

Hey I'm just wondering if anybody here has the AMS Peformance Cold Air Intake with a fog light delete or mesh on the driver side to increase airflow?

I'm just worried about water going through the filter up to the MAF/turbo. Any ideas?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

if you are really worried get the aem bypass, it won't let water in
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

AEM Bypass valve does not work with a force induction car. I would not worry about it too much. A few drops of water wont hurt your car. You would have to sumerge the entire filter to hydrolock your car. Just dont drive your car in a flood or through a large body of water.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

These questions often surface regarding true cold air intakes ingesting water into the motor. In my experience you would have to drive your vehicle into a lake for this to happen. A bit of exaggeration but you get the idea.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With a GSR and the stock front bumper, its covered pretty good meanwhile still letting air travel in with the ducting. I purchased the SC cold air intake and it comes with a shield to install behind the filter so the elements wont get in from the wheel well. I think it works pretty good. Its been raining like a hurricane here in NJ for the past few weeks and I haven't had any issues. And, when I say hurricane, i'm not exaggerating. I was worried something was going to happen to my car, but all was well.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
cold air intakes have always scared me...especially if the vehicle is lowered...i've had 2 friends with stock ride height srt4 just suck some water up and hydrolocked their motors...so just be careful with cold air intakes on street driven cars...obviously don't drive into large puddles...haha...

Last edited by 06MREvo; Jul 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

If they were so much better than other intakes, more people would be running them. We had a guy here in Texas hydrolock his motor with one.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
With a GSR and the stock front bumper, its covered pretty good meanwhile still letting air travel in with the ducting. I purchased the SC cold air intake and it comes with a shield to install behind the filter so the elements wont get in from the wheel well. I think it works pretty good. Its been raining like a hurricane here in NJ for the past few weeks and I haven't had any issues. And, when I say hurricane, i'm not exaggerating. I was worried something was going to happen to my car, but all was well.
Yea but is your filter in the engine bay or down behind the driver side fog light?

I'm talking about a cold air intake with a fog light delete so you can pretty much see the filter from the front of the car. Anyone have this kind of setup?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Whatever drops of water that would make it all the way to the turbo (keep in mind, your talking about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of piping) would most likely evaporate due to the heat of the turbo IF it got that far...

The only time I would worry about something like hydro locking the motor is if you plan on driving in 10" + of water, or you happen to hit a huge puddle of water while in full boost.. that could be bad.

As far as performance gains go...I think it would be a great idea for the fog delete mesh grill, and the filter right there... it would act like a ram air style sucking in massive amounts of cold air as your speed increased.

-Chris
Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well I am considering the Rexpeed fog light delete and was just looking for people's input on the idea. In FL we get a lot fo rain and i dunno if water could hit the filter and make it all the way back to the turbo.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Anybody have an more input as to the safety of a cold air intake with a foglight delete?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about the placement on the X but I have driven through ****-storms here in Seattle with my open-filter intake on my IX and have never had an issue. I'm guessing the X is lower since people are referring to a fog-delete.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
Yea but is your filter in the engine bay or down behind the driver side fog light?

I'm talking about a cold air intake with a fog light delete so you can pretty much see the filter from the front of the car. Anyone have this kind of setup?
This will be my setup when I get tuned. I've had my RS grills in for a while, should go nice with the filter there.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flyguycfi

in the bumper behind the foglight. And i'm talking record setting rainfall here in Jersey. But, i don't have a foglight delete. Stock cover is still there.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by DC_TypeR
Whatever drops of water that would make it all the way to the turbo (keep in mind, your talking about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of piping) would most likely evaporate due to the heat of the turbo IF it got that far...

The only time I would worry about something like hydro locking the motor is if you plan on driving in 10" + of water, or you happen to hit a huge puddle of water while in full boost.. that could be bad.

As far as performance gains go...I think it would be a great idea for the fog delete mesh grill, and the filter right there... it would act like a ram air style sucking in massive amounts of cold air as your speed increased.

-Chris
I hydrolocked my car last oct, driving thru a foot of water. It was raining really hard, hit a "lake" of water that built up at an intersection. My car is lowered on teins, and the water came up above the lowered lip >.<

Quick Reply: True Cold Air Intake Sucking Up Water?