Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Upgrades for 2000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Upgrades for 2000

Let's say i have a budget of 2000 for upgrades. What would be the best bang for buck within this budget.

I am not looking into playing with ECU or engine management upgrades since the car is very new and mostly interested in bolt ons.

How would you spend your 2k. Intake? exhaust? Turbo inlet pipe?

Please be specific which brand? Why?

Any suggestion is appreciated..

M
Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...bolt-on and tune comes hand in hand. you can't have one without another in the long run. you should reconsider your budget and add in tuning.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:38 PM

well lets add in a tune as well then..still what would you add on for a daily driver..
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

There is a chance the car would not run properly without a tune.

The tune is your best bet 100% and I dont thing a single person would disagree. You will gain 50-70whp and it will run MUCH better. I would say get the following and call it a day:

-K&N Drop-In Filter----------------------$75?
-AMS Upper Intercooler Pipe----------$340
-AMS Test Pipe/HFC---------------------$200-350
-Cat-Back Exhaust----------------------$600-800
-Custom Tune ---------------------------$500-600

This would be a solid 80whp+ above stock. Do not get a test pipe or HFC without retuning. You will get the SES light and go into limp mode almost definitely.

Anyone else got any other ideas?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

^^ troof.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Upgraded clutch and diff in tranny.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

if touching the ecu is a big NO for you, then show'n'shine really is all you should do. but that's even more expensive than power upgrades depending on what you do. I am with flyguycfi on this one.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:48 AM

Which catback, has anyone tried Borla. I drive the car daily and don't want a loud car at all..
Is INjen cold air with upper IC pipe a good option?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mertdinc
Which catback, has anyone tried Borla. I drive the car daily and don't want a loud car at all..
Is INjen cold air with upper IC pipe a good option?
The Injen is probably a good choice. You might want to call TTP Engineering and see if they have one in stock. Come with the intake and UICP and I think they had it on sale.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

The code that one throws for having a test pipe/ hfc will not put the car in limpmode as it has no affect on performance at all.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ry=62&model=26

/thread
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by i64X
Looks like a good setup, but harder to install than a cat-back. I guess it depends if you think you can do the downpipe yourself without breaking any of thsoe bolts.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:11 PM

how is the exhaust note in that package, also is that accessport as reliable as a custom tune?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
Looks like a good setup, but harder to install than a cat-back. I guess it depends if you think you can do the downpipe yourself without breaking any of thsoe bolts.
It's not any harder than a catback to install - I just did it this weekend. Unlike the AMS downpipe, the Perrin one doesn't replace the factory bell mouth. That's where all of the bolts constantly break off. There are two bolts that hold the stock down pipe to the bottom of the bell mouth which are the kind with springs on them that come on all kinds of standard exhausts. Once you get the rest of the exhaust out and can pull this pipe down (it's on a swivel joint style mount so the exhaust isn't rigid and can resist engine movement), you pop these bolts out with a 1' extension with a swivel joint on it and an air impact... takes 2 seconds.

Install of the entire exhaust maybe took me 3 hours - I was doing it by myself up until the last few minutes when I had someone there to hand me tools, and I was taking my time and washing my hands between installing parts because I didn't want to get the stainless all greasy. I also didn't have instructions because I'd lost them. I've got the Stage III package from Perrin (which is essentially Stage II plus FMIC), and it's excellent. Power over the Cobb Stage I is insane.

I'd highly recommend their staged kits. The quality of their parts is outstanding.

Regarding reliability - I'd been running the Cobb Stage 1 for around 6000 miles with NO problems at all. No check engine lights, no issues whatsoever. I put about 200 miles on the Perrin Stage III this weekend with no problems either. Exhaust note on the Perrin exhaust is nice. It's deep and not raspy like the "fart can" exhaust note that you usually hear with cars. Driving at 55-60 I can't hear it, which is nice, but when you get on it it's throaty and sounds good. At an idle it's very deep and sounds really smooth. Before getting it I watched their YouTube video and wasn't really sure if I'd like the sound or not. It ended up sounding MUCH better than their YouTube demo video.

Last edited by i64X; Jul 12, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mertdinc
Let's say i have a budget of 2000 for upgrades. What would be the best bang for buck within this budget.

I am not looking into playing with ECU or engine management upgrades since the car is very new and mostly interested in bolt ons.

How would you spend your 2k. Intake? exhaust? Turbo inlet pipe?

Please be specific which brand? Why?

Any suggestion is appreciated..

M
You are not interested in getting the most performance, better fuel efficiency and would rather spend it on visible warranty voiding mods?