Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What are the best cams for the X?

Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what bigger turbo are you planning on getting?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enjoitk
Not sure yet, originally I was dead set on the Red, now I am thinking bigger, in particular the 750r kit from AMS looks tempting. I am still thinking the red will be what I go with though.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

I would advise you to postpone your cam decision until we have some better data. You don't want a set of $1,000 paper weights. The safest bet right now would be MX1s, but I haven't seen a good comparison yet. I'll see if my 214-Bs do anything next week.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with tractionlimit on this. I think both are great cams and honestly I am not positive either will give more power than the other.

However, DG just finished a car with the kelfords that was exactly the same as there shop car except kelford stage 2's instead of mx1's. They supposedly picked up 15whp/30wtq, or I mean the new car was that much higher than their mx1 car.

However, this could be attributed easily to the fact they used better gas, canada stuff, and the fact the parts could be slightly different, maybe they decided to do a little more aggressive tune or the fact that they are just different cars. No motors are the same or will react the same.

Honestly I think this shows that both cams are great and both are relatively close and I would say the kelfords will make a little bit more.

Here is a link to the thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...435-lb-ft.html

But again, lets see what happens with traction.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Another perspective to look at is which cams perform the best on a stock turbo. Some would like to enjoy the benefits of an aftermarket camshaft without upgrading to a larger frame turbo.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

When you ask what are the "best" you have to keep in mind what you want the final out come of your car to be. There is a lot more than just putting cams on the car, springs, retainers, valves, and so forth. Do what I did research everything and in the end you will be happy knowing that you did your homework. You will probly want to change out the turbo later on also, there are many things to keep in mind. Thats what I did and had a great car........
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Well I wanted to max out my stock turbo power. Im at 337whp 322wtq on Iveys dynojet. I was looking to do water meth and cams 265's maybe. nothing to aggressive. low to mid torque. 272's are high end tq. My goal was (on his dyno) around 400whp on stock turb
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

cosworth hands down

Last edited by skyblas; Aug 21, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiC
They've been out since last year, HKS Japan.
So these will work on the USDM model? Why is HKS USA stating that they are not yet available.

Edit: According to HKS USA these camshafts will not work with the USDM model without the use of the Valcon unit. The lift and duration is similar to that of stock and they retail for over 1800 USD. As of this time there is no camshaft available for the USDM Evo X.

Last edited by Clark_Kent; Aug 21, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

ya im going to wait around and see what else comes out. i really want to try and hit 400whp on stock turbo, but i doubt it. i hate the waiting game i just want everything out right now
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

i really want to try and hit 400whp on stock turbo, but i doubt it.
I'm curious why that is a priority for you? The FP Red is currently discounted to $1200...that's roughly the same as cams+install. Do you do your own work and parts cost is the key factor?

I'm thinking turbo before cams at this point.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

i already have cams, feels great and got some decent numbers out of them. as for the turbo.. its my daily driver and i deal with traffic a lot on the freeways so a laggier turbo is not what im looking for
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Many people don't want to run an FP Red, including myself. The power gains aren't that impressive. Yeah, I said it. There's nothing wrong with waiting around for others to enter the market. At the moment it appears the only turbos are the Blouch Dominator 2.0 and the FP Red, correct me if I'm mistaken. Others will be released soon I can imagine and waiting before making an assessment is a better idea. I'm sure CBRD will release a BBK turbo for X in due time.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Blouch Dominator 2.0 and the FP Red, correct me if I'm mistaken.
I haven't heard much about the Garrett 3071/3076 but they are out there. I'm looking at their installation instructions for the turbo and they're fantastic...at least for a non-mechanic like me.

I'm sure CBRD will release a BBK turbo for X in due time.
That's why I've ordered everything other than turbo/cams so far. Mine is also a daily driver.

Last edited by mlomker; Aug 22, 2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

ya im going to wait around and see what else comes out. i really want to try and hit 400whp on stock turbo, but i doubt it. i hate the waiting game i just want everything out right now
You won't be able to hit close to 400whp on stock turbo. I have tried on a very lean tune and managed to hit only 347whp which means that conservative tuning will get you less. I am running on 98 oct (equiv to 93 ron) fuel btw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the best cams for the X?