Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

installing FP Red any additional advice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installing FP Red any additional advice?

I am tossing on an FP red & down pipe this weekend. It was lightly used so contacted fp to find out if it should come with any install hardware other than the turbo; i was surprised that it does not. Following the Garrett instructions below i know i will be picking up new copper crush washers. anyone else that has upgraded to the red have any other input on replacement bits to get prior to the install? i know to pb blast the hell out of everything

instalation instructions i will be following:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...structions.pdf
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you get any upgraded oil lines or are you keeping it on the stock lines?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

planned on keeping the stock ones unless there is reason not to.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe ah bolt or 2 for the back housing
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

if your going to be running more than mid 20's psi then you should probably get upgraded oil lines. fp recommends them so you dont burn the turbo up
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Get the new Oil line from FP. I think FP has an install kit that would get you everything you need. The Oil line is not hard to install, as I did it on my HTA Green.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

this is for a X, stock hardline is fine and I don't think they make SS line for our evo x yet unless its custom because i been looking for one for awhile.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

I used the original line. No problems here. Umm install is a biatch. I would get two new bolts for the manifold to turbo and replace the studs with bolts to make it easier to remove and install next time. Also you need LONG extension and swivel to get the bottom bolt out. It's quite hidden. Be prepared to be swearing a lot and have bloody hands but it'll be worth it. I also changed the manifold to turbo gasket just in case. Probably don't have to. oh and have some coolant hose and some vice grips to plug the coolant lines, otherwise you'll have a mess on oyur hands like me.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

what about bigger injectors and fuel pump? arent those recommended as well?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Guru
I used the original line. No problems here. Umm install is a biatch. I would get two new bolts for the manifold to turbo and replace the studs with bolts to make it easier to remove and install next time. Also you need LONG extension and swivel to get the bottom bolt out. It's quite hidden. Be prepared to be swearing a lot and have bloody hands but it'll be worth it. I also changed the manifold to turbo gasket just in case. Probably don't have to. oh and have some coolant hose and some vice grips to plug the coolant lines, otherwise you'll have a mess on oyur hands like me.
Thanks for the heads up on the bolts I'll pick a few up. i don't plan on having to take the red off again but you never know if a exhaust manifold may someday find its way into the engine bay. I have about 2.5' of extention, i may pick up another 12" just to be safe (thats what she said).

Originally Posted by blueberryyumyum
what about bigger injectors and fuel pump? arent those recommended as well?
an upgraded fuel system will be coming in a paycheck or 2 but i got such a good deal on the red i didn't have all the supporting mods lined up that i wanted to have i don't have the will power to not put this damn thing on either. I'll see how well the stock fuel system holds up. iirc a few shops broke 400whp on the stock system before running out of fuel. i guess i'll see how it holds up, but i'll be watching a/f and idc like a hawk as i increase the boost.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stock fuel and injectors will be ok at lower boost on pump gas, just don't plan on going much over 22 psi without very carefull datalogging to make sure it's not leaning out with no control.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Stock fuel and injectors will be ok at lower boost on pump gas, just don't plan on going much over 22 psi without very carefull datalogging to make sure it's not leaning out with no control.
i'll be using 93 oct and i am all set with evoscan and a wideband. if i run out of fuel then new injectors will be inbound earlier than i the pocket book would like.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newcomer81
Thanks for the heads up on the bolts I'll pick a few up. i don't plan on having to take the red off again but you never know if a exhaust manifold may someday find its way into the engine bay. I have about 2.5' of extention, i may pick up another 12"
Replace the turbo to hotside bolts if you can (as mentioned, PB blast the old ones 24hrs ahead of time to get them out.) Once you get the old bolts out of the turbo without breaking them, you're 75% done . A 24" extension and multiple flex extension sections will be worth their weight in gold.

Take it from me and USE ANTISEIZE on these bolts when reinstalling. You may never plan to take the Red off again, but chances are, YOU WILL, maybe even twice. This is especially true if you're not using a cast O2 downpipe or if the hotside was ported too thin. If you have time, maybe consider porting the stock exhaust manifold to match the gaskets. There is quite a bit of extra material there on both ends.

Don't mean to scare you at all, but it's better to be prepared for the worst as this isn't the most fun job. End results will be worth it though . good luck.

Last edited by Tractionlimit; Oct 20, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
At 22psi, you're better off with the stock turbo .
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
Replace the turbo to hotside bolts if you can (as mentioned, PB blast the old ones 24hrs ahead of time to get them out.) Once you get the old bolts out of the turbo without breaking them, you're 75% done . A 24" extension and multiple flex extension sections will be worth their weight in gold.

Take it from me and USE ANTISEIZE on these bolts when reinstalling. You may never plan to take the Red off again, but chances are, YOU WILL, maybe even twice. This is especially true if you're not using a cast O2 downpipe or if the hotside was ported too thin. If you have time, maybe consider porting the stock exhaust manifold to match the gaskets. There is quite a bit of extra material there on both ends.

Don't mean to scare you at all, but it's better to be prepared for the worst as this isn't the most fun job. End results will be worth it though . good luck.
i'm not scurrd!
My 1st turbo swap so i'm just trying to get as much info before heading into it. i'm mechanically inclined so i don't have any worries. i just hate getting to a point and having to stop because i don't have a new crush washer,a bolt or a hose clamp. pb blaster and anti-seize was already planned. I have a 3 day weekend so i am getting the turbo on, even if it is only at 21 psi =)

Quick Reply: installing FP Red any additional advice?