Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe Perrin vs. Invidia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downpipe Perrin vs. Invidia?

Hey guys,

I am stuck between either buying the Perrin or Invidia downpipe for the X. I looking to get something catted so that my mitsu dealer doesn't kill the warrenty right away. I had the catted invidia on my 04 Sti and I really liked it. Does anyone have any expierence with either of these?

I am also up to any other suggestions I may have overlooked.
Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The down pipe won't need a cat, since they didn't have one from the factory. The test pipe would be the only cat replacement piece.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Perrin downpipe already has a hi-flow cat in it. It's a single piece with both parts.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty certain that removing the stock cat is what voids your warranty, not whether or not you have 'something' there. It's well established that you can install a cat-back exhaust but anything beyond that and you're trying your luck when it comes to your warranty.

Many HFCs are not efficient enough to receive a CARB number or pass the EPA test, so they won't qualify as a replacement cat for legal purposes. That being the case, there's not much point in paying for an HFC when a resonated TP is $100 cheaper and looks similar (it's a pipe with a bulge in it, right?).

I personally wouldn't bother with the one-piece jobs like the Perrin--it is replacing the o2 housing that adds power. The AMS dp is very popular but I'm partial to UR.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 15, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I looked on UR's website now you guys got me leaning towards a two piece deal (downpipe, cat replacement). I don't really want to run a test pipe. Does anyone run any of their high flow cat options or the mini muffler?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Dealer tried to void my warranty with only an aftermarket downpipe. I'm pretty sure the cat by itself has little to do with the warranty being voided if you replace other parts of the exhaust.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman
Dealer tried to void my warranty with only an aftermarket downpipe.
If you need your warranty then cat-back & drop-in filter is as far as you should go. Many of us don't care but I'm always alarmed by people who aren't conscious of what they are doing...

Originally Posted by ajs5251
TI don't really want to run a test pipe. Does anyone run any of their high flow cat options or the mini muffler?
I have a Specialty-X dp/hfc combo. Super expensive but looks like a work of art. I know local guys running the UR pieces. I have their licp/uicp. I think their stuff is the best quality for the money. Their DP comes with a wideband bung, which is convenient.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 16, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:56 PM

Yeah technically speaking my warranty is already shot. I am running the Cobb AP at the time and somehow got away with my stage 2 sti for 4 years. I have had good luck with dealers no voiding my warranty. I blew an axel on the Subaru and they covered it under warranty without question. I think it mostly depends on the dealer.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ajs5251
I blew an axel on the Subaru and they covered it under warranty without question. I think it mostly depends on the dealer.
Subaru is known for being mod-friendly and quite a few guys buy the STI over the Evo for that very reason. Mitsu is quite the opposite...any claim over a certain dollar amount has to be cleared by a regional rep and that involves inspecting the car for aftermarket parts. You'll probably be taken care of until the repair is expensive...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put it this way: If you mod your car and a problem occurs that you think is probably related to your modification, you can forget your warranty unless you do a VERY good job returning your car to stock.
If you mod your car and you think logically the modification didnt have anything to due with the problem (i.e. You replace your cat back exhaust and your turbo blows) The reasoning in this is that, by replacing the cat back exhaust, you are doing basically nothing to the car, the cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust, and by removing anything beyond that point does little to nothing to effect the backpressure on the engine, therefore, the dealership would have a very hard time voiding your warranty on these grounds.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:19 PM

I would highly recommend against getting a dp/cat pipe combo (or a dp/testpipe).
You will regret it someday when you want to get a O2/dp combo. I would leave yourself the option of upgrading the dp, if you want. There are many separate dp and cat pipes to choose from out there.