Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HR2L
I'd read this thread thread (i've linked it below) before getting involved with an Exhaust Manifold. Mine is Jet Coated 2200 and I'm still having problems. I'm contemplating going back to the stock mani (having it ported) as I really didn't see gains to justify the $900 (after Jet Coat). I'd do a bit of research and save yourself the headaches i've been going through. Theres just too many vital hoses and parts that are exposed to immense amount of heat that use to be protected by the heat shield. Also, don't know where you read that you can make a ton more power on the stock turbo...its just not true (@ least not HP to $$$ ratio) your money can be better spent other places that will get you more power with less longevity issues. Just my 2 cents though.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...esolution.html
Not sure I'm following? I plan on keeping the factory X manifold and heat shields just having the mani, turbo, o2 housing, and downpipe coated.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HR2L
I'd read this thread thread (i've linked it below) before getting involved with an Exhaust Manifold. Mine is Jet Coated 2200 and I'm still having problems. I'm contemplating going back to the stock mani (having it ported) as I really didn't see gains to justify the $900 (after Jet Coat). I'd do a bit of research and save yourself the headaches i've been going through. Theres just too many vital hoses and parts that are exposed to immense amount of heat that use to be protected by the heat shield. Just my 2 cents though.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...esolution.html
I've never done an install on a X but I do know the manifold is in close proximity to many hoses and sensors, etc.

On an OEM X, you have the heatshield to help protect all these misc hoses and sensors, but how effective is the heatsheild on keeping heat retained in the manifold.

If it was me, I would take the time to wrap any hoses and plugs with heat reflective wrap and hose sleeves. DEI makes many products to help with this type of install/situation and I'm sure other companies do as well.
http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sc&cid=10

Everyone I know that installs a sidewinder turbo manifold on an RSX always takes the time to coat/wrap their manifold and wrap all of the hoses and wires with heat reflective sleeves and/or silver/gold wrap. This is because the firewall is packed with misc crap that can potentially melt or even worse start a fire! I believe doing so would have definitely helped your situation.

-Jalal

Last edited by MJ23FE; Jan 22, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Have you read this link?

http://swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

-Jalal
Interesting I will have to ask them what they use, glad you brought this up or I may have never known the difference
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
I've never done an install on a X but I do know the manifold is in close proximity to many hoses and sensors, etc.

On an OEM X, you have the heatshield to help protect all these misc hoses and sensors, but how effective is the heatsheild on keeping heat retained in the manifold.

If it was me, I would take the time to wrap any hoses and plugs with heat reflective wrap and hose sleeves. DEI makes many products to help with this type of install/situation and I'm sure other companies do as well.
http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sc&cid=10

Everyone I know that installs a sidewinder turbo manifold on an RSX always takes the time to coat/wrap their manifold and wrap all of the hoses and wires with heat reflective sleeves and/or silver/gold wrap. I believe doing so would have definitely helped your situation.

-Jalal
I can understand why I would want to do this if I were swapping manifolds but I am keeping the stock one. Just trying to "better" the factory manifold and reduce a bit of heat. I don't think it's necessary to wrap any hoses or plugs if keeping with all factory components especially if I ceramic coat the mani and turbo which will only help reduce heat.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kieffer87
I can understand why I would want to do this if I were swapping manifolds but I am keeping the stock one. Just trying to "better" the factory manifold and reduce a bit of heat. I don't think it's necessary to wrap any hoses or plugs if keeping with all factory components especially if I ceramic coat the mani and turbo which will only help reduce heat.
If you plan on coating the manifold and then reusing the oem heat sheild that you won't have any issues at all.

I concur!

-Jalal
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kieffer87
Not sure I'm following? I plan on keeping the factory X manifold and heat shields just having the mani, turbo, o2 housing, and downpipe coated.
Apologize, didn't realize that you were going to continue using the stock mani. Honestly the stock heat shield should do you just fine. It would be a bit of an overkill but hey if you got $200 to burn, wouldn't hurt.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a company in MI does it called PPI. They do good work and I am thinking about having them do mine, but I want to keep my warranty so Im undecided.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410
a company in MI does it called PPI. They do good work and I am thinking about having them do mine, but I want to keep my warranty so Im undecided.
PPI sends their items to Swain Tech for the coating. PPI does their own porting though.

-Jalal
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

not that i'm any sort of expert... as I just realize last night I put my test pipe on the wrong way, but I heard from a lot of people that as tough as ceramic coating is, it won't hold up for to long.. the temps that these turbos and such get is just to much, maybe if it only got hot for a few seconds at a time, but this is consistant temperatures we are talking and freakin hot ones at that.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
not that i'm any sort of expert... as I just realize last night I put my test pipe on the wrong way, but I heard from a lot of people that as tough as ceramic coating is, it won't hold up for to long.. the temps that these turbos and such get is just to much, maybe if it only got hot for a few seconds at a time, but this is consistant temperatures we are talking and freakin hot ones at that.
A quality ceramic coating can last a whole season of racing on a turbo hot side.

But a ceramic coating like HPC's is garbage. SwainTech is legit, so are a few others.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_EvoX
It's honestly not worth the money. It may gain you 100 rpm spool, but you'll gain NO top-end power. Under-hood temps may drop a bit.

Porting, however, is.
I'd do it for the 100 rpm spool any day...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

These guys do all my stuff.
http://www.ccperformance.com/

Awesome to work with, affordable and have this gunmetal 2000 degree coating that is killer! I use it on my O2 downpipe on the x and will be coating my new manifold, turbine housing and downpipe for the GT35R setup as well. BTW, they are also doing my GTR manifolds/downpipes.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

screw lower bay temps and wiring issues. PV=nrT. learn it. love it. use it! it's a fact!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by criptballer
screw lower bay temps and wiring issues. PV=nrT. learn it. love it. use it! it's a fact!
lol engine tuning is a bit more complicated than the ideal gas law...

But really, a loss of a couple hundred RPM spool threshold can be accomplished with a little tuning. Wasting a couple hundred bux on coatings that have a finite lifespan really isn't worth it.

On an aftermarket tubular manifold, completely different story. But stock, not worth it...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_EvoX
lol engine tuning is a bit more complicated than the ideal gas law...

But really, a loss of a couple hundred RPM spool threshold can be accomplished with a little tuning. Wasting a couple hundred bux on coatings that have a finite lifespan really isn't worth it.

On an aftermarket tubular manifold, completely different story. But stock, not worth it...
i don't know if we're talking about tuning an engine here. more like adding small gains that can add up if done correctly. i mean, it is a law for a reason.

ps. why didn't you go to the meet last month? i wanted to check out your bbx.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating