Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Coating

As I am gathering parts for my X turbo swap a friend suggested I get the turbo and manifold ceramic coated to reduce engine bay temps. What are your guys feelings on this?

I have read the claims of a couple companies (Can't remember which off the top of my head) they seem legit but is it worth the extra $$$, especially on just a stock X manifold and turbo?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

On the X, the compressor side of the turbo sits just above the exhaust manifold. If you coat that, you will reduce your charge temps. It will also retain heat better and spool better.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

grimmspeed.com i think
just google it
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lousEVOxmr
grimmspeed.com i think
just google it
Yep that's the one my buddy suggested. He worked for Sound Performance in Chicago for awhile and said they sent out a lot of their manifolds and turbos.

There is a local company that will do the turbo, manifold, O2 housing/downpipe all for $175. Think I am going to do this although the porting aspect of grimmspeed would be nice I don't know that I can justify $530 for porting and coating. That's $70 shy of what I paid for the turbo/manifold/O2 housing/downpipe
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Top choices:
-Jet Hot
-Swain Tech
-JNZ
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kieffer87
There is a local company that will do the turbo, manifold, O2 housing/downpipe all for $175.
That's a great price if their work is good. I'm having GrimmSpeed do mine but I agree that they aren't bargain basement. Great guys with some cool cars in the parking lot...I live near them and stopped by.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'd recommend doing the $175 for those parts, but you might want to research their process and what coating they use. It is possible to be that cheap for a local company but I'd check just to make sure.

As far as porting, that would help a lot too but that price is pretty expensive. Have you checked into any local tuning shops to see if they offer porting? I'm not sure what options you have out there, or what options are for the X in general. As context, Buschur offers porting of the exhaust manifold for $95, but their site doesn't show prices for the X manifold that I saw.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swain Tech White Lighting http://swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

Great coating.

-Jalal
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

It's honestly not worth the money. It may gain you 100 rpm spool, but you'll gain NO top-end power. Under-hood temps may drop a bit.

Porting, however, is.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_EvoX
It's honestly not worth the money. It may gain you 100 rpm spool, but you'll gain NO top-end power. Under-hood temps may drop a bit.

Porting, however, is.
I wouldn't do it for the power. I would do it to control under hood temps and to preserve the hoses and sensors and misc items located in the area of the manifold. It definitely helps.

-Jalal
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_EvoX

Porting, however, is.
Very rarely do I track the car so max hp really isn't the reason I am interested. Quicker spool is worth it to me and like others said temp is my main concern as well.

I will have to get in contact with them again and see what process and materials they use. Anything particular to look for or ask for in regards to the materials or process used?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

On a similar note... how about Swaintech's BBE for an intercooler?

Anybody have personal experience or know of somebody who had it done and it actually helped?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kieffer87
Very rarely do I track the car so max hp really isn't the reason I am interested. Quicker spool is worth it to me and like others said temp is my main concern as well.

I will have to get in contact with them again and see what process and materials they use. Anything particular to look for or ask for in regards to the materials or process used?
Have you read this link?

http://swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

-Jalal
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankiago
On a similar note... how about Swaintech's BBE for an intercooler?

Anybody have personal experience or know of somebody who had it done and it actually helped?
Yup, been done. I had a friend who did it about 10 years ago. As for if it helped... well, no measurements were ever taken. It certainly didn't hurt though. The other reason he did it was for the stealth factor.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'd read this thread thread (i've linked it below) before getting involved with an Exhaust Manifold. Mine is Jet Coated 2200 and I'm still having problems. I'm contemplating going back to the stock mani (having it ported) as I really didn't see gains to justify the $900 (after Jet Coat). I'd do a bit of research and save yourself the headaches i've been going through. Theres just too many vital hoses and parts that are exposed to immense amount of heat that use to be protected by the heat shield. Also, don't know where you read that you can make a ton more power on the stock turbo...its just not true (@ least not HP to $$$ ratio) your money can be better spent other places that will get you more power with less longevity issues. Just my 2 cents though.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...esolution.html

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating