Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch smell after launch...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that occur after a couple crappy launches when I first got mine. Yeah, one time it lingered like you described. The clutch didn't grab as tight for a couple days too. Figured it was time for a new clutch. Those symptoms left after a few days and it returned to normal. I'm @24k miles and the clutch still feels as new with no slipping. This is not the right vehicle if smoky burnouts are desired.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
how about DUHHHH, don't launch the car? Go find a rally or autoX track and use the car for what it was REALLY made to do.
^ +1.

Show your friends what the car is made for, high lateral g's and ability to handle like no other production car ever made. It can be made a 'drag' queen, but it's more or less a ready to run track queen.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by twistyking
I had that occur after a couple crappy launches when I first got mine. Yeah, one time it lingered like you described. The clutch didn't grab as tight for a couple days too. Figured it was time for a new clutch. Those symptoms left after a few days and it returned to normal. I'm @24k miles and the clutch still feels as new with no slipping. This is not the right vehicle if smoky burnouts are desired.
your post makes me feel better..i hope you're right! haven't driven the car since monday.

before the evo i drove a 2003 mustang gt and 2004 bmw m3, and honestly the 'sensitivity' on these cars is a bit surprising to me..all the issues i'm reading with the transfer cases, clutch, transmission, etc. i hardly abuse my cars..but when i do once in a blue moon, i don't want it to break on me when it's built for that purpose.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:41 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

All these posts talking about not launching it properly. How do you launch it then? I've launched mine 3 times since I had it and there was horrible clutch smell all 3 times even though I took off like a rubberband lol. The smell went away after a few hours though.

With the 2-step enabled at a stop, isn't it as simple as hammering the gas at the 2-step RPMs and then quickly dropping the clutch? I've read that in the older evos with no 2-step you have to feather the gas to launch properly but I tried that once and it was clutch smell central again.

I'm at 15k right now and the clutch drives like day one btw.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

If you want to launch, buy a more expensive clutch designed to take a beating. The OEM one is designed to be smooth, not a rocket ship.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:58 AM

so when i pulled car out of driveway this morning, tire pressure light went on for the 2nd time in a week, so i parked on my street to take another car..and when i stepped out i still smelled the clutch.

not a good week for the evo.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laz
With the 2-step enabled at a stop, isn't it as simple as hammering the gas at the 2-step RPMs and then quickly dropping the clutch?
You shouldn't be just dumping the clutch in an AWD car, they usually bog if this is the case. Plus on the factory 2 step on the street unless you car is bone stock it is too high of rpm and you'll just blow the tires away. I've found about 4500 is a good spot to launch on the street with minimal wheel spin. 4000 bogged pretty bad and 5000+ spun bad.

A little clutch smell is fairly common, it should go away after driving a few miles. If you're still smelling it days later something is most likely wrong or in general you're slipping it all the time driving.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modthispny
so when i pulled car out of driveway this morning, tire pressure light went on for the 2nd time in a week, so i parked on my street to take another car..and when i stepped out i still smelled the clutch.

If you're tire pressure light is coming on frequently and you're not having huge temperature swings, go fill the tires up lol. But in seriousness, if it has come on twice in a week and you filled them to the proper specs after the first time and it went off, you have a leak. Hit up a discount tire and they will fix it for free.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

off-topic, but inflate your tires. Its that time of year with temps dropping that your pressure is simply low probably. I had the first (and only) light on mine appear in Oct 2008. It's normal -- the softer tire rubbers lose a little bit more air than A/S harder rubber will.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
You shouldn't be just dumping the clutch in an AWD car, they usually bog if this is the case. Plus on the factory 2 step on the street unless you car is bone stock it is too high of rpm and you'll just blow the tires away. I've found about 4500 is a good spot to launch on the street with minimal wheel spin. 4000 bogged pretty bad and 5000+ spun bad.

A little clutch smell is fairly common, it should go away after driving a few miles. If you're still smelling it days later something is most likely wrong or in general you're slipping it all the time driving.
Thx for the numbers. I plan on hitting a strip one last time in my Evo before it closes, and the bog KILLS me. But that was before the TBE, so I'm hoping I can get the feel right and not bog nor smoke clutch.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:26 AM

like an idiot, i didn't check any of the tire pressure when i first got the car in may of this year.

so when the light first went on last week, i checked and the hot readings were as follows.

Passenger Front 50!!
Passenger Rear 50!!
Driver Front 45
Driver Rear 25

So it's clear the leak is the driver rear side. I corrected the PSI to 37 hot, and the light went away but it went on this morning so i'm sure i have a nail in the driver rear tire. I hope i can patch it..the tires are still brand new at 4k miles, don't want to fork over $400 to get it replaced.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

like an idiot, i didn't check any of the tire pressure when i first got the car in may of this year.

so when the light first went on last week, i checked and the hot readings were as follows.

Passenger Front 50!!
Passenger Rear 50!!
Driver Front 45
Driver Rear 25

So it's clear the leak is the driver rear side. I corrected the PSI to 37 hot, and the light went away but it went on this morning so i'm sure i have a nail in the driver rear tire. I hope i can patch it..the tires are still brand new at 4k miles, don't want to fork over $400 to get it replaced.

Not being too pedantic, but it's "plug", not "patch"

I think you're over-inflating. My ADVANs say 44psi max. At 50psi, you've as much air pressure as I run in my Ford SuperDuty! The sidewalls are plenty stiff, run 35psi in them and you'll notice a better ride and less risk of a blow-out. It might be that your hole was a result of the tread grooves being "too hard" and pushed out more than they ought to have been.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
Not being too pedantic, but it's "plug", not "patch"

I think you're over-inflating. My ADVANs say 44psi max. At 50psi, you've as much air pressure as I run in my Ford SuperDuty! The sidewalls are plenty stiff, run 35psi in them and you'll notice a better ride and less risk of a blow-out. It might be that your hole was a result of the tread grooves being "too hard" and pushed out more than they ought to have been.
there is actually a difference between a patch and plug. plug is like the slim jim..not good.

and i never inflated the tires, thats how they came from the dealer. i set them at 37 psi...definitely a better ride.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

I have 4k miles on my car and HARDLY abuse it…my friends often tease me for buying an Evo since I never push the car. Going home on Saturday night I launched it, well tried launching it for the first time. Turned off all TC’s and attempted somewhat of a launch, but there was a lot of wheel spin so I just let off the gas and went home. As expected, there was a strong smell of clutch. I took the car out the next day and there was still the smell of clutch…and this morning going to work I could still smell the clutch.

Is the car still burning off clutch residue or do I have a serious issue? I did some tests to see if the clutch is slipping but it seemed fine and doesn’t slip through acceleration.

thx
Dont listen to your friends...
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:46 AM

just went and got the tire patched at big o tires, hopefully it doesn't leak any air.

and clutch smell is going away..

Quick Reply: Clutch smell after launch...