Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch slipping after 6,000 miles! (never launched it)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch slipping after 6k miles! UPDATE: gearbox input shaft seal leaking

Hi guys, as you can see in this thread I've started to tune my car: it's just a base tune, without any bolt-on except for a cat-back exhaust; the tune is similar to gunzo's 93 octane map.

Now, the clutch slips sometimes in 5th and 4th gear; the car has only 6000 miles and I have NEVER launched it, really never.

Do you think it's "normal" that it slips so early, and with just a so light tune? I've read of people with 400+ whp with the stock clutch...!
Tomorrow I will flash the stock ROM to check what happens. In any case, I've noticed (from the beginning, when the car was new) that the clutch engages really high, when the pedal is almost completely released.

Let me know, thanks!
Stefano

UPDATE: the cause of the problem is the gearbox input shaft seal leaking; look at bottom of page 2

Last edited by therocket; Oct 23, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:57 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
not to be an *** but....

reality is it could very well be your driving style

most evo's I've driven have a higher than usual engagement point
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

If you never launched it you need to learn to drive. I got over 60 launches on my stock clutch and about 3500 miles.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

I know how to drive... I've always driven M/T cars (here in Europe most part of cars are still M/T, we don't like too much A/T) including race cars, and it's not my first AWD car.
I've never abused the clutch, even when driving hard; I'm not 18 years old so my fun is NOT launching the car but driving it in the so many turns we have here.
The consideration about the engagement point was just to understand if all the Xs are like that, it's not a problem for me when driving.

This is why I'm really surprised about this slipping, with a really light tune. I will check with the stock tune.

Last edited by therocket; Oct 18, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Might have an oil leak onto the disc causing slippage then.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

It's all over the place but like chaotichoax said it depends on your driving style... i went 9700...change+900...change+500..change then 25000 then change. And they where all the same brand except for 9700 on the factory
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:20 PM

if its under warranty try to get it replaced! especially if you dont launch car.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgrumpys
if its under warranty try to get it replaced! especially if you dont launch car.
clutches are never warrantied. well up here in Canada that is. Unless you can prove its manufacturer deffect. its impossible.

Upgrade your clutch to something more heavy duty. Even if they warrantied it, would you really want the OEM one in there, if you smoked this one?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:45 PM

The only thing that's not mentioned in this thread is if the dealership of whoever you bought the car from abused it. I wouldn't want to think that so it has to be one of the things already mentioned above
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

6000k miles? If it is driving style you'd think he'd know. Must smell like sh*t at every stoplight.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What clutch?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys for all your comments.
Some answers:

Originally Posted by Eric Morse
Might have an oil leak onto the disc causing slippage then.
This is the first thing that came into my mind. But it's strange that the slippage began just after the tune, I mean if an oil leak is there I'd think that the clutch slips also with the stock tune.
Anyway, this night I will flash the stock rom and check what happens.

Originally Posted by iEvoX
The only thing that's not mentioned in this thread is if the dealership of whoever you bought the car from abused it.
It could be... car was new but had some miles on it.

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
6000k miles? If it is driving style you'd think he'd know. Must smell like sh*t at every stoplight.
Right. Instead I've never smelt clutch.

Originally Posted by Evoryder
What clutch?
Stock clutch.

What I'd like to understand is: if some (strange) reasons the oem clutch now has gone, can I put a new oem clutch, or it will slip again...? Consider that my planning is to keep this light tune (without significant bolt-on), so I'd think the oem clutch is enough for this slightly increased torque (and in this way I have not to worry about the master cylinder).

(sorry for my English, I'm in a hurry now)

Last edited by therocket; Oct 19, 2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

If its not covered by warranty you might as well put an aftermarket one in. You might consider the clutch master cylinder while you are there...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

I had some time to read other threads about this, so I think the only reasonable causes of the problem can be 2:

1) Engine oil leakage from the main seal; from what I understand, I could see a leakage also from the external, looking at where the engine couples with the gearbox; but I think it starts leaking also outside only when the problem is already bigger. Western_man was the main expert of this problem... but I found also other guys with this at 4-5k miles, so it could be. This would explain why it slips even if I've never abused it and never smelt burnt clutch.
On Saturday I think I can lift the car and have a look from the outside.

2) The dealer abused my clutch during some test drives (car had around 50 miles on it); this would help to explain also why my engagement point is so high since the beginning: I've tested the clutch of another X just today and the engagement point is still high in comparison to other cars, but not as high as mine!

Last edited by therocket; Oct 19, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by therocket
I had some time to read other threads about this, so I think the only reasonable causes of the problem can be 2:

1) Engine oil leakage from the main seal; from what I understand, I could see a leakage also from the external, looking at where the engine couples with the gearbox; but I think it starts leaking also outside only when the problem is already bigger. Western_man was the main expert of this problem... but I found also other guys with this at 4-5k miles, so it could be. This would explain why it slips even if I've never abused it and never smelt burnt clutch.
On Saturday I think I can lift the car and have a look from the outside.

^^ happened to me when I bought mine a couple years back. I was slipping at 2k miles. I never really revved it high enough until then. I smelt burnt clutch and came out every morning to an oily drip underneath the car. Dealer warrantied it and blamed it on the 'robot from the factory'. They overnight a new clutch and I got my car back the next day. So far so good (knocks on wood). I'm at 15k miles now.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping after 6,000 miles! (never launched it)