Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

My teardown

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My teardown

My car started running like crap. I did a compression test and found #3 and #4 were 110 psi compression while #1 and #2 were 160. My waterpump was also spewing antifreeze. I tore it down and am at a loss as to why I had such low compression. My cylinders look fine, the headgasket was intact and undamaged. The piston rings aren't worn. Everything in the bottom end of the motor actually looks pristine. Although I did find something that has stumped me. My #4 Piston has gouges in the top of it. I've taken some pictures to show. Any ideas? The valves on #4 look fine aswell. I'll take some pictures of the head next.

Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  77.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB

Other than the carbon buildup on the pistons from running mad rich, do you think my timing could be off? Could that be caused from excessive knock? I'm really at a loss. Throw your ideas please. The scratch marks in the center are from scraping off some of the carbon residue with a screwdriver.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

how do your spark plugs look? It almost looks like some rocks were in there. Maybe you lost a piece of a spark plug and it got smashed around then out the exhaust. Its a long shot but something was defiantly in there that should have been.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by teribble
how do your spark plugs look? It almost looks like some rocks were in there. Maybe you lost a piece of a spark plug and it got smashed around then out the exhaust. Its a long shot but something was defiantly in there that should have been.

I had just replaced the laser iridiums in a previous attempt to fix what 'hiccup' my car had before. Those looked fine when I took them out. No broken pieces or anything.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:50 AM

So after getting the head to the machine shop, I found that I have 2 bent intake valves. One on cylinder 3 and one on 4. It had scored the port itself, so I'm putting in 1mm oversize valves. Also Kelford 272 cams, supertech springs and retainers, and port and polish. Yay.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umadevo
So after getting the head to the machine shop, I found that I have 2 bent intake valves. One on cylinder 3 and one on 4. It had scored the port itself, so I'm putting in 1mm oversize valves. Also Kelford 272 cams, supertech springs and retainers, and port and polish. Yay.

How did they bend....Did you ever overrev the motor? maybe on a missed shift?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like something may have passed though the valves and bounced around the combustion chamber. You might want to check the turbo as well for fan damage. your exhaust valves and plugs were ok? Might not have been anything too large. what kind of air filter setup are you running?

then again, the piston damage does look to be all around the valve reliefs, so i wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

something has been bouncing around inside there for sure... I second having a look at both sides of the turbo for damage.. whatever got in there either cam before or after the cold side and made it's way out the hotside.... may as well have a look while it's apart.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 05:12 AM

Turbo looks good, hot and cold side. I'm thinking it had to have been like this when I bought it. I bought it for hella cheap and wondered why. Now I realize the "50 year old man" that I bought it from must've known something happened and wanted to get rid of it before he had to do a complete rebuild. It had a hiccup when I bought it and I figured it was just old plugs.

I had the stock airbox setup.

I just ordered a bunch of parts from STM Tuned in New York. They hooked me up with a hella deal on everything I need in the head. I decided to go with Kelford 272 cams and Supertech Valves. Got the whole shebang on the way. Cant wait to get it to run tho.

Last edited by umadevo; Jun 9, 2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

what was the previous 'hiccup'??
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Is this an Evo 8 or a 10?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

^^good catch. looks like he drives an 8...
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:58 PM

yeah I posted in the wrong section >.<
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Say hi to detonation.

Good luck getting it back together.

Aaron
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
Say hi to detonation.

Good luck getting it back together.

Aaron
What do you mean say Hi to Detonation?

Name:  block.jpg
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  pistons.jpg
Size:  33.2 KB
Name:  car.jpg
Size:  45.2 KBName:  head.jpg
Size:  42.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB

Alright so, got the car down. Everything bottom end looked brand new. Bearings had absolutely no wear and perfect clearance on the crank. Rings looked great. Found the problem tho. At some point (i think when i first bought the car it was like this then progressively got worse) something went into the head, ****ed up a valve, into the cylinder, bounced around causing those impressions on the piston, then out the exhaust valve. My problem was a 'leaking' not blown headgasket and a bent valve failing to close. The head is at the machine shop now getting ported and polished and oversized valves, springs and retainers put in. Didn't want to do a head build - but will get me to where I want to be more reliably. Everything bottom end wise looked great.

The leaking antifreeze was the water pump, which I have a new one already from STM to replace. Just waiting on little stuff, and getting some sex done at the machine shop like new exhaust manifold studs, downpipe bolts w/ springs, and awesomeness to that effect.

Name:  hkstb.jpg
Size:  37.6 KB
Name:  hks.jpg
Size:  54.4 KB

sex
Name:  ARC.jpg
Size:  27.9 KB

Also replacing the wheel bearing.
finally got it out. going to press the new one in as soon as I clean the hub assembly up. Updated parts a bit.

new waterpump installed

Oh yeah.. And new shoes
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:03 AM

heyyy i like!

Quick Reply: My teardown